“Excelente! Even with two high school boys!”

Casa Xalteva (Spanish School) Education and Cultural Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Casa Xalteva is a Non-Profit Spanish school with over 21 years of experience. In addition to our language school we also have a children's program which provides a safe and healthy environment to local children from poor families. All of our proceeds go towards the funding of this program. We commit to ensuring the best possible language tuition in which our students are welcomed into the Casa Xalteva family.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

People thought I was crazy hopping on a plane to Nicaragua with my two high school sons for two weeks of spanish classes, this past July, but I was not. Casa Xalteva was the perfect place to school my two sons. Why? Because it is a language school within a wonderful children's community center just off of Xalteva Park. It is an day school in an authentic Granada neighborhood, about five minutes from the Plaza Central. Maria was their excelente maestra, who whipped them into shape, and made learning spanish fun for 3.5 hours a day. But the real advantage Xalteva has for my boys was Juan Carlos, Jose Andres, Larry, and Sergio who are wonderful people and competitive basketball players. They hooked my two into playing and watching basketball games all around the lovely city of Granada. Who knew! My boys were living spanish and wanting to get involved with the community. The local students were very charming and during their break from class we would go to recess and play with peers who were about their same age. Also there were other language students about their same age from all over the world, not just the US.
While my boys were in class I was able to work as a volunteer with the local CX students, as I am a teacher, and mostly fluent in Spanish. After classes, most days, CX offers really fun local excursions with Jose Andres which involved taking local buses, taxis, and tuk-tuks. At the end of our stay my boys were speaking sentences in spanish. They continued to practice as we travelled, and even still are using it at home. We did not opt to live with a local family since their were three of us, but other students were having a wonderful language immersion and told us of how well they were welcomed.
We just loved Casa Xalteva and are hoping to return again this summer.

1  Thank nativesanfranjo

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent four weeks studying at Casa Xalteva this year and I tell people about it every chance I get. Not only did I make tremendous progress on my language skills but I made what I expect to be lifelong friends. I cannot recommend Casa Xalteva highly enough!

1  Thank rjbell926
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent just a week at the school as I had some free time (waiting for a friend) and had already been to a Spanish school in Guatamela. Compare to Guatemala I found the teaching more based on an assessment of your ability, each lesson had a plan, class focused on areas I needed to improve and everyone was friendly!

1  Thank Chad M
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Casa Xalteva helped me go from understanding little more than "Hola" to being almost fluent. I stayed and studied with them for many months, and through their help I achieved an in depth understanding of not only the language but the culture as well. All the teachers are very friendly and design classes to help you specifically. I would highly recommend this school for someone who wants just a week of basic Spanish, or for someone like myself who would prefer a more advanced understanding.

1  Thank George S
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Spent three weeks at CX as a beginner and loved it! Very good teaching (1 on 1 or small groups of 2), very positive atmosphere, lots of interesting and cheap excursions in the afternoons! CX helps beside the teaching kids from the neighborhood in all kind of stuff and lives the social spirit!
Go for the home stay with a family, was the best experience ever!

1  Thank LipFlip

Travellers who viewed Casa Xalteva (Spanish School) Education and Cultural Center also viewed

Granada, Granada Department
Granada, Granada Department

Been to Casa Xalteva (Spanish School) Education and Cultural Center? Share your experiences!