Casa Xalteva (Spanish School) Education and Cultural Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Casa Xalteva is a Non-Profit Spanish school with over 21 years of experience. In addition to our language school we also have a children's program which provides a safe and healthy environment to local children from poor families. All of our proceeds go towards the funding of this program. We commit to ensuring the best possible language tuition in which our students are welcomed into the Casa Xalteva family.
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My first visit was 2 years ago. I had Manuel as a teacher and everything was a novelty. This time I was going down with the intention of learning the subjunctive, which I did. I struggled a bit with the teachng style as I wanted less talking and more written structure. We agreed to change the style a bit the 2nd week. However, whether it was my fault or not there was not the same bond as before.
I was lucky I did not have another student in my class. I'll admit I struggled to maintain interest. I think I needed a male teacher with a similar sense of humour. I volunteered a bit in the last week.
I would suggest that the Casa Xalteva make it part of the admission to identify a good match as well as what the student wants to learn. I will have a better idea next time.
I rated it a 5 becausee I believe in what the Casa is doing for the community. I will tell you that I had the greatest host family I could want. They might have got frustrated with me because I was too nervous to speak a lot . However my host family brother did help me to learn to roll my rs.
So yes please go it is a great experience but discuss with your teacher what you want to learn

1  Thank cactus52

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The atmosphere and teaching capabilities of Casa Xalteva go unrivaled. The environment is light & friendly, I never felt like I was in class. Every teacher caters to your language level and personal goals. And because each teacher has a slightly different teaching style you are encouraged to change instructors to expose yourself to more learning techniques.

I have never felt more taken care of. HIGHLY recommended. 5 STARS!

Also... it wasn't until after 4 weeks I discovered proceeds fund under privileged children's education. Great school AND a great cause.

1  Thank DWRosenow
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Spent a few weeks with Casa Xalteva working on my Spanish and working with many of the children that study there. The staff is so friendly, and I'm still in touch with many of the people that I met during my stay. Through them I met a wonderful host family, got to explore the volcano, visit Ometepe, try delicious chocolate, go on a tour throughout las islas, help out at a local girls' orphanage and a local school, and explore the beautiful city of Granada.
I highly recommend Casa Xalteva to anyone that wants to make lasting friendships, have an absolute blast exploring Nicaragua, and of course perfect their Spanish.

1  Thank foxn130
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I studied Spanish at Casa Xalteva for two weeks in September, and my classes with Sergio were excellent. There were only two students in the class, and we spent time speaking and also learning grammar, which I was interested in learning. All of the teachers there are dedicated and patient, and one truly feels a part of their family after a few days. I took most of the excursions, which visited such locations as the Mombacho and Masaya volcanoes, Las Isletas, and the Pueblos Blancos, and they were fantastic as well. This Center is a non-profit that teaches English to children from the poorest parts of Granada and also provides them with breakfast and lunch. Casa Xalteva made my time in Granada really special, and I would recommend it highly to anyone interested in learning Spanish and also interested in learning about Granada and the Nicaraguan culture.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Marcia G
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I spent 6 weeks at Casa Xalteva and I enjoyed it very much. The school is a Non Profit Organisation which teaches students Spanish. Apart from that it helps poor children e.g. with their school-tasks, homework etc.
It seemed to me that all teachers were motivated and capable. The atmosphere was pleasant and cheerful. The whole staff of Casa Xalteva was very friendly and nice and they took care of all their students. The classrooms were cosy and during the break we could recreate sitting on rocking chairs in the lovely patio with plants and trees.
I can deeply recommend this school to all students (young and older ones) who come to Granada to learn Spanish. I would like to say thank you to everyone I met there, especially my teacher Manuel. Muchas gracias!
Gabrielle (Germany)

1  Thank Gabrielle_Ayani

Travellers who viewed Casa Xalteva (Spanish School) Education and Cultural Center also viewed

Granada, Granada Department
Granada, Granada Department

Been to Casa Xalteva (Spanish School) Education and Cultural Center? Share your experiences!