“Close to everything, clean, quiet, convenient and nostalgic...”
Review of Hotel Colonial

Hotel Colonial
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Colonial in July with mi Chica and can't say enough nice things about it. Perfect location, walk to everything or a $2-3 cab ride for the discotheque Cesar, a great local club. The rooms are large, well appointed, A/C works well, hot water, flat screen TV, canopy bed, closets, what more could you ask for?? The building is a historic site that has undergone a full renovation and all systems are updated. Clean, well staffed, good restaurant for breakfast (only meals I ate there), 2 pools in the courtyards, just a lovely old place with a really nice feel to it. Price was moderate, parking could be a challenge I guess but Karma smiled on me and I had a space directly in front of the main entrance and never needed to move my car, truly in the middle of everything you need. Granada is a beautiful city with local artisans plying their wares, historic cathedrals to tour, excellent food and drink and good nightlife. I have to say, Granada is on my short list of best places to visit in Nicaragua and I don't think I'd stay anywhere other than The Colonial...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnny B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Colonial

Reviewed 23 April 2011

Stayed here twice on our last visit to Nicaragua. The rooms are amazingly spacious with classy, tasteful decor. The courtyard has two pools, and is equally attractive and a great place to hang out, even has a poolside bar!! The receptionists are friendly and bi-lingual, and even offered to help us make a reservation at a hotel in SJDS as our spanish was not quite good enough. Very close to the Parque Central, but amazingly quiet. Restaurant serves a great breakfast if you don't feel like venturing out (Kathy's Waffles is also a great option a couple of blocks away). The price is perhaps a bit high end for Nica ($65 for a double), but for what you get, I think it's an exceptional value. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbphotog
Reviewed 5 March 2011

The entire staff in this hotel know the true definition of service. Every single time I saw a maid, a front desk person, a manager, a wait person I got a smile and a warm greeting. Everyone took the extra step to ensure our needs were met and surpassed.

The rooms were good (not great) but well appointed and quiet - and dark. I much prefer a dark room for sleeping, but can see how someone else might find the rooms a bit too dark and dreary.

The pools and gardens were well maintained and very clean. The breakfast included with the room was excellent - full Nicaragua breakfast!

We truly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend to anyone. Get the blind massage next door if you do go. Juan Carlos and Marlon are the best.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Like many tourists arriving in Nicaragua, we headed straight to Granada and to the Hotel Colonial. The front desk staff were helpful and courteous, and helped us get settled right away. We had a rental vehicle, and were confident that it was safe during the time we were there because of the attention of the evening security guard.
Our room (up front on the street side) was clean and comfortable - good bed and fine shower. Even though there was music and partying all evening, things got quiet at 11:00 and we slept well. Breakfast was quite good - we ate it by the pool and enjoyed our first glimpses of the sunny warmth with wonderful Nicaraguan coffee and fruit.
Located right next to the Central Park, which made it easy to access all sorts of amazing activities - we were there in the midst of the international poetry festival (brilliant) which brought all sorts of artisan vendors into the streets.
We would definitely stay at this bed & breakfast again!

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Bang on the central square but both rooms we've stayed in were quiet. Showers aren't great but the rooms are generally well appointed and pleasant. Plenty of helpful staff about. Pretty uninspiring for the price compared to what you can get elsewhere in Granada, but a still a perfectly pleasant place to stay. Wifi didn't work.
Breakfast is poor quality - go to the Euro Cafe next door.

Reviewed 16 February 2011

after backpacking through costa rica and nicaragua I checked out this hotel with my girlfriend and a very nice room was shown to us for a very reasonable price. we immediately made a reservation with a very friendly concierge for the room with a credit card to come back in 2 days.

on our checkin day a woman was at the reception who first had some trouble finding our reservation and then gave us a keycard and told us to go to the second floor for our room (18). we went there and the room was not prepared at all. there was all kind of garbage from the old guests and it smelled. also the bathroom did not look anything like the bathroom in the room that was originally shown to us and the room also did not have a flatscreen tv (it does not matter THAT much, but still it was a completely different room).
so I went back to the reservation and asked if the room could be tidied up, after some misunderstanding from the woman at the reservation she called a guy to check out the room. he went up to the room with me but just went passed it and vanished. I waited in the room for 10minutes with my girlfriend until she said "let's move back to our old hotel".
but I did not want to give by anymore and went back to the reservation and demanded another room and said that we made the reservation for the nice looking room in the back of the hotel. after a little discussion another employee was called to show me a really nice room in the back of the hotel. I think those rooms are newly built and hence much nicer.
in the new room we spent a few really nice days!

the pools are very nice, not crowded, but pretty cool and the floor tiles could need some scrubbing from time to time.

the bar could be nice, but it opens sometimes at 12, sometimes at 1,2 or 2:30pm and in the evenings theres sometimes no one there for longer times (you could probably serve yourself, but I am not that kind of guy) and you've to ask at the reception for someone to come to the bar and serve you something.

the breakfast is not a buffet but served. you are not allowed to take anything yourself. seems nice but can be a bit bothering when you're on a schedule and would just like to drink a coffee and a juice real quick (the service there is not the fastest)

the location next to the central park is very nice but also very active

Reviewed 13 February 2011

A perfect stay near everything. The rooms are big and there is hot water. The breakfast is well served.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends