“One of my faves!”

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Granada
Costa Mesa, California
“One of my faves!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Last week I stayed at the Hotel Colonial in Granada, Nicaragua for the second time in two years. Excellent service from all levels of staff and they go out their way to make you feel welcome. I will stay here again when I go back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are a good size - not cramped. Fitness Center - they have an agreement with a local Gym/Spa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
hotelcolonialgranada, General Manager at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear "J9HW"

Thanks a lot for your comments. I am happy that you did like your stay with us and did so in beautiful Granada. Yes, since a short time we have an agreement with "Pure" Gym and Spa. All our guests have, while their stay at Hotel Colonial, a free membership and can use their facilities.

We are looking forward seeing you again one day, and send you our kinds regards to California

Remo and the whole Hotel Colonial Crew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Spent 6 days at the hotel colonial with my boyfriend. The hotel and pool area is absolutely gorgeous. It is very quiet despite being in the center. As soon as the manager found out is was my bday he went the extra mile, and made dinner reservations, and sent champagne to my room. The manager and his wife really know about hospitality, and are genuinely nice people. In addition,
We took two tours which were reasonable and very good. The tour guides took their time, and were very professional.
My only complaint is the beds were too hard for me, but my boyfriend was fine with it.
Thanks hotel colonial for making my bday extra special!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Aimee

Thank you very much for your response. I am happy that you liked your stay at the Hotel Colonial. Sorry for the bed you thought that they are too hard. We are very roud having in all our rooms first class mattress. I know that the are a few people who prefer soft ones.

Me and the whole Colonial Crew is sending you our kind regards to beautiful New York

We are looking forward seeing you again one day

Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is so insanely beautiful, all of the artwork is unreal. I stayed here with a study abroad group from the university of Arizona and we had an awesome time. There was one point at which we were being a little loud and the manager was totally chill about it, we just ended up going out to a really fun near by bar instead. Excellent food and really nice hotel employees you definitely will not regret staying here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
hotelcolonialgranada, General Manager at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Erica

Thanks a lot for your kind comment. We are very happy that you and your group did like your stay with us. I always try to remember times when I was young in a situation like the one you described. So no problem at all. Some just have to respect, communicate and understand each other. We all did so ("your" kids were just great!)

I send you all my kindest regards and look forward seeing you one day again in beautiful Granada

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had a fantastic stay here. Location is great - just on the corner of the main plaza, which is close to the main nightlife of Granada but means that the immediate environment is quiet at night. The hotel itself is an extremely attractive period building, which two pool areas set inside the courtyards. The room was clean and attractively furnished with good air conditioning. The staff were first rate, in particular Laura (the receptionist) who was incredibly helpful to us in planning our stay in Nicaragua, and offering advice and recommendations. The manager also took the trouble to meet us personally and very kindly offered us a round of drinks on the house on the final night of our stay. This is an excellent hotel in a great city.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
hotelcolonialgranada, General Manager at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear "GB13750"

Thank you very much for you very kind comments in tripadvisor. We are very happy that you did like your stay with us and would look forward seeing you one day again in beautiful Granada.

I send you very kind regards to London and wish you a wonderful summer there

With our best wishes

Remo, Jacqueline and the whole Hotel Colonial Crew
California, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We've stayed at this hotel since our daughter was one year old (currently she's 8). The hotel staff is friendly, personalble & go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. I feel very safe to stay there during my vacation. It's clean and the room is very clean & a good size. Many years ago when my daughter was a year (& traveled w/o my husband) & the city had rolling blackouts, the staff brought me a lantern as back up because of my daughter. I won't ever forget those details. I got to meet their managers on this trip & they are friendly & vibrant people. Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable. We hope to see you in the years to come! Maritza M-M

Room Tip: If you are traveling w/ small children, the first floor is more convenient.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
hotelcolonialgranada, Manager at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Maritza

It was very nice having you again at our hotel. Thanks for your very nice comments.

Unfortunately I could not post the little video we made with your daughter ("welcome at the Hotel Colonial"). Somehow facebook did not allow putting it in ... If you let me know your email address, I'll be glad sending it to you personally.

In the mean time I wish you and your wonderful family a great summer in California.

We look forward seeing you again in Granada

Best regards

Manager
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the suites with our two young kids, and it was fantastic. The hotel has a new manager who is involved and pleasant. The hotel is clean and well kept. Our room opened directly onto a pool which was perfect. The front pool has a swim up bar which we enjoyed each night. We also used their in house tour agency who took us on a nice tour of Laguna de Apoyo.

My only feedback for the hotel is please change the shower heads to ones that provide more water, and please have a stand with clean, pure water out for guests so we can fill up water bottles.

If you are traveling with children this is an excellent place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013
hotelcolonialgranada, Manager at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your comment on tripadvisor. It makes us happy to hear that you and your family did like your stay with us. We try every day again making efforts to satisfy our guests needings.

Concerning the shower head, may I please you to write the room number you where in. Like that we can check if changing that head will increase the performance. (remo@hotelcolonialgranada.com) Granada has sometimes problems with the water pressure. For that we have our own pressure system we can activate if so needed and reported by our guests.

Concerning drinking water we took your advise and did place a tank with drinking water in the back of the reception. Our guests can fill up their bottles now at anytime. Thank you for your input.

We would look forward seeing you and your family again.

Very kind regards and best wishes to Seattle from Granada

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a great hotel. The service is EXCELLENT, especially the manager and his wife. It is right off the mail square in Granada. The rooms are great with plenty of room, A/C and some even have a wet bar. There are two pools, although small, each has a swim up bar for adults or kids. There is a restaurant as well with very good breakfast. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
hotelcolonialgranada, Manager at Hotel Colonial, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Laurel

We would like to thank you very much for your kind recommendations on Tripadvisor. It was a big pleasure for us hosting you and your family. We wish you a wonderful summertime at home and look forward seeing you all again one day.

With our kindest regards