“The best value for your buck”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Colonial

Hotel Colonial
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Granada
San Francisco
“The best value for your buck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

Friendly, corteous and efficient staff.

Clean and very comfortable rooms.

Wonderful colonial architectural design

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 1 day and I wasn´t impressed. It is a lillte bit dirty and noisy. It could allso need a little paint. You can´t get a bottle of cold water at this hotel and overall I will say, that their service is medium. Nothing more to say that it is a bit overpriced.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

I felt so comfortable at this hotel, I changed my travel plans and spent ~14 days at the Colonial, venturing out to other areas but always returning to sleep at the Colonial. Laura (or Lauren?) at the front desk spoke perfect English and was very helpful and friendly. The front desk guy with the gold cap on his tooth was also very helpful. One of the other employees climbed one of their coconut trees to pick a fresh coconut for me to try. He went to a lot of trouble to climb the ladder with a machete, hack off a coconut, then return to the ground and carefully hack off the top of the coconut so I could get a straw in it. I ended up meeting the owner, who is a French citizen, and he was a lovely fellow. The bartender, Helen, was also a true gem(genuinely friendly and helpful, so much so that I promised to send her the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD she needs for her collection). I was told that on the one day that I took a nap in the afternoon, I missed seeing the Nicaraguan presidents brother who had stopped in and had a drink at the bar. That's a pretty good endorsement considering the Hotel Alhambra is more famous and is slightly closer to the park along with having more amenities(full restaurant). At the Colonial, the air conditioning in the rooms worked flawlessly, the rooms were large and very clean, the beds were all king size(I had two different rooms over the course of my stay as I had to rebook for my extended stay), I liked the large size of the shower stalls, and the housekeeping was first rate(linen always smelled fresh and the rooms were always made up perfectly). I've stayed in hotels in Shanghai, Whistler, Rome, Athens, Ios, Mazatlan, Havana, Florida, Vegas, Arizona, Washington, and too many other places to list. For overall experience, the Colonial is at the very top of my list, even though at $75/night it's one of the least expensive hotels I've stayed at.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

Excellent hotel in a great central, safe location. The staff at the front desk spoke very good English and was very helpful. One word of caution, don’t use the ‘free’ phone at the front desk, it is not free – and your phone call (even local ones) will show up on your bill. The location is perfect, right off the park.

The hotel was very clean and very nice … even by US standards, this is a 5 * hotel in my opinion. The rooms are big, clean. A/C and hot water. We didn’t have any issues at all and stayed for 3 nites. There are 2 swimming pools and both have swim up bars. The bar is nice, small and quaint, and good service. Be sure to ask for some cashews for a snack :) There is wireless access throughout the hotel and 1 (I think) computer to use if you need it.

The only thing I would say is don’t waste your money on the breakfast, it was the worst one we’ve had in the entire country.

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

We only stayed here for a night but were very impressed and I highly recommend it. $75 plus tax for a double room on the second floor with breakfast.

Very efficient reception (Lauren, who once lived in California) made a Leon hotel booking for us without a bother. She was pleasant.
The breakfast was perhaps the best we had in the few cities we stayed in. Everything: eggs, pancakes, fruit, good coffee.

Room was a little tight, but roomy enough for a queen size bed, and with a low ceiling. TV was decent sized. Shower strength was okay but tricky to navigate between hot and cold. No view from the room other than interior courtyard.

Located on side street right by the central park and Hotel Alhambra. Attractive blue façade to building. Nicely planted interior, very nice looking pool that you actually could swim in. And a swim up to bar if that interests you. Only one internet station so I had to wait a little, no bother. I like this hotel. It costs less than the others.

Overall Score: A.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

My wife and I stayed in 4 hotels in Nicaragua, and this was our favorite. The room was huge and clean, and the bathroom had HOT water. (Seriously, you need to be careful you don't burn yourself.) The rooms overlook a quiet courtyard with a swimming pool. Breakfast was great--some of the best gallo pinto we had in Nicaragua. The service was great, and there are a couple of computers in the lobby to check e-mail. I would highly recommend this hotel if you're going to Granada.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

Everything was great. We arrived in Managua and the hotel had someone waiting to pick us up. We had two rooms on the second floor. Both were clean, well decorated and sunny (request the second floor!). They only serve breakfast but it was great (don't believe they offer complimentary breakfast with the room anymore but if you do negotiate that make sure you keep the email confirmation saying breakfast is included). The pool was nice (we spent several hours each day enjoying the sun around the pool). The location is wonderful. The main park is on the corner, the bank on the other corner, and an internet cafe is right across the street where you can make cheap international calls. Right next door is a blind massage place that you must check out (real cheap too). The hotel provided two computers to access the internet. The staff at the desk spoke english well. All in all we were very pleased with our experience at the Colonial and have already recommended it to others.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Could use more sun at the pool.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)