“lovely old colonial style setting”

Hotel Casa del Consulado
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The hotel is centrally located in Granada, a block form the Parque Central, within walking distance of restauants, beautiful old churches, the lake, and even the baseball stadium. You feel like you are in your own private garden when you stay at this hotel. You walk out of you room to relax by the pool, or on the veranda overlooking the pool, or in a lovely bit of garden. The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfas, served by the pool, is great. The staff at the hotel is friendly and very helpful. They go out of their way to make you feel at home. When we left I felt like I was saying good-bye to my family and my home.

Room Tip: the top rooms by the pool get a nice breeze on the veranda
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 March 2014

At the Hotel Casa Consulado we enjoyed first class service whether it was getting transportation help or very early morning coffee. Casa Consulado itself is lovely, an old colonial home transformed into a warm and intimate hotel. Rooms were large and clean, with great showers. Breakfast wonderful and the pool small but very refreshing. Quiet and calm gardens and courtyards with loudest noises being the parakeets in the huge palm tree and the occasional church bells. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I liked the upstairs rooms, but all were nice
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2014

stunning hacienda about two blocks from main square, all 'the action' and many wonderful restaurants. the hotel has about dozen rooms -- mine was large, comfortable with wonderful walk-in shower with stone floor (intense foot massage!!). breakfast served in courtyard and varies day to day. staff very accommodating and friendly; true "colonial" experience!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel with an excellent location in Granada. They have a great breakfast. The staff is very attentive and quick to offer recommendations for other local businesses. I really feel like I am home when I stay here. I am in Granada frequently for work, and I prefer this hotel. Carlos the receptionist is very nice and receptive. Lenin the manager treats everyone like family and is a great guy. I highly recommend Hotel Casa del Consulado.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had mixed feeling about this hotel. The location was perfect - two blocks away from the center so it was quiet but a quick walk to everything. We also thought the hotel was very attractive - especially the common areas. The breakfast was delicious, and we were thankful that they arranged a 530am breakfast for us on our last day.

That said, there were some issues with our room. We stayed in the Gran Sultana room which is large and attractive, but does not have any windows. We found that it was not terribly clean - there were several stains on the linens. Finally, we did not have hot water. We told the from desk about this and they told us they took care of it, but we never got anything but cold water.

One final issue was that when we asked for suggestions about where to eat or buy certain items, the answers were always vague. No matter what we asked for they just told us to go to the Calle Calzada. That street does indeed have the majority of the restaurants, but we were hoping for a specific suggestion.

Room Tip: The Gran Sultana room is large, attractive, and has two beds. However, it does not have any windows.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AudreyK1986
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I stayed 4 nights here while on an OAT trip to Granada. The hotel is very clean with friendly environment. The hotel is well situated to the downtown square and the promanad to the lake and most of the resturaunts, which by the way are mostly all safe for gringos to eat. The breakfast is served at the inner garden and is tasty. Should mention that the Hotel is an historic hacienda with inner court yards.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked a room here, my credit card was charged right away, but then 5 days later the hotel wrote me to tell me the room had already been taken by somebody else. However, they assured me I would get a prompt refund.

Several days later I contacted them to enquire where my money was, and they asked for my bank details and wondered if I had a bank account in Miami (I don’t live in Miami). When I was in Granada I showed up at the hotel in person demanding a refund. The manager said “it’s complicated” and went on to claim that my card had never been charged in the first place.

I had to show them my bank statement with the charges and threaten them with a chargeback before I was finally handed a check, five minutes before leaving Granada, conveniently. Of course I didn’t have time to wait in line at the bank! I bet they were disappointed when I managed to cash the check elsewhere in Nicaragua.

If I hadn’t been on the ground, spoken Spanish and spent a whole day fighting with them, I probably wouldn’t have gotten my money back, and it certainly put a damper on my holiday!

This could easily happen to you. I wouldn’t risk it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple