“Met expectations and more”
Review of Hospedaje ARI

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Hospedaje ARI
Ranked #43 of 67 Granada B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Met expectations and more”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This guest house is a few blocks walk from the bus stations and in a quiet part of the city. Karla and Bosco are very welcoming and make you feel at home straight away; Karla speaks some English although you're probably better off in Spanish. For a modest sum they will do breakfast, e.g. gallo pinto and huevos revueltos (scrambled eggs). Generally a friendly, unassuming guest house that I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the bathroom, ask for a downstairs room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 21 August 2012

after reading lots of great reviews we thought this place would be lovely. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all that bad, it just did not match with any of the previous reviews.
For a start i think they must have 2 places, because we definitely did not stay with a family and there was never anyone around or any "homestay feeling". We stayed for 2 nights/3 days and neither of the shared bathrooms were cleaned in that time. there was mud all over the floor, the bin was overflowing and there was no toilet paper.

We paid $35 for a double room which is quite expensive in Nicuragua. Yes, we had air con - but it was so weak a fan would have been better. They did not give us a fan. We borrowed one from and empty dorm which was fine for the first night, but on the 2nd night they took it for a guest at their "other hospedaje".

The bed was quite uncomfortable, a thin foam mattress on a plank of wood, and the pillows were terrible. I checked out the dorm and the beds seemed better, and they seemed to have much better pillows as well so I borrowed them as no one was staying.

The "kitchen" had one frypan and one broken pot, the only cutlery were forks, and there was no cooking utensils. Luckily after traveling around latin america for 7 months we have lots of our own equipment.

The wifi was terrible, it only worked in one spot in the lobby, and even then not very well. It was also boiling hot down here, like everywhere in the building - no ventilation.

Also the instructions they send are really bad, and their map is terrible! we walked around town for over an hour asking 4 different groups of people (and tried calling - no answer) before we found the place. When we did, the owner was not there, only some guy whose spanish was incomprehensible and could not even provide us with towels.

I hate to rant - the place wasn't THAT bad. but definitely not worth the money and not the same as the reviews make out. If i was to book this place I would check out which location you are staying at first, as they don't tell you they have two.

Room Tip: Check that you are actually staying with the family, and not in their other building!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I cannot rate this family highly enough. They are very welcoming, friendly and have a nicely furnished, comfortable and clean home. At a small extra charge, they will cook breakfast for you, and it is definitely worth it. You can also book tours through them which is more like an excellent value for money personalised guided tour around Granada (there is a varied list of what you can book). I only stayed two nights, but this would be a comfortable stay for longer, and is worth considering as a homestay if taking a spanish course in Granada. The only negative I can think of is that it is perhaps a little further out the centre than some of the standard hostels, but this distance is easily walkable so this should not put you off. This is a different type of accommdation to the usual hostels that I book, so not exactly what I set out to find, but I am so glad I found it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Brasil de Santa Ana
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is the only place that we stay when we travel to Granada for many reasons. First of all Bosco and Karla make it special and are sincerely interested in making sure you are comfortable, well fed and have everything you need. They have so many connections that they can set up anything for you from tours to dinner recommendations. The breakfast was outstanding and plentiful. I love having the use of the computer and also they are near the bus station. A short 10 minute walk to the city center or a quick taxi ride makes the location perfect. Clean, comfortable and welcoming is what we look for when traveling and Bosco and Karla offer this. Don't look any further - this is a great value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed here as a homestay experience rather than a hostel, and was very pleased. The family is very welcoming, accommodating, patient with spanish (great teachers), and good cooks. The addition of Wi Fi, a TV, and good food set it apart from other homestay options. I came down with a group of 15, all in our own homestays, and the consensus was that this was the nicest. Really the only 'con' is that it's further out from the city, 10 minute walk from the city center, but it is a beautiful walk with churches aligning the skyline, so I didn't mind.
I didn't use Bosco for any tourist options, but he is certainly helpful. He gave good recommendations for nightlife as well, and you can rent bikes, which is useful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gregbluedevil
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I spent a couple of weeks at Hospedaje Ari as the "homestay" portion of my Nicaragua Mia Spanish course. So, it was a homestay in the sense that the family lives there - but a hostel in the sense that guests had individual rooms and a shared bathroom. What was really impressive about this location is the fact that the family was so welcoming - taking time to talk quite a bit so that I could practice my Spanish (although they also speak English well). And the food - the best that I have ever had in a homestay - flavourful and varied.
Bosco and Karla also manage a tour guide agency. I used the service for a ride to and from the Ometeppe ferry, as well as a shuttle to Leon - both done well, and at competitive rates.
The location is about a 10 minute walk from downtown, but very close to the bus route to Managua. Their Wifi is sufficiently fast for Skype. And basically I can't disagree with anything that the three earlier reviews have said. Good value for money - and highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 21 July 2012

It should be pretty obvious, but this is not a party hostel or the sheraton. If that's what you're looking for, there are other places in Granada for you.

ARI is a cross between a hostel and homestay. The family welcomed me with open arms. I just wanted a place to relax, and here I could. The traditional breakfast is awesome also.

There is room for a car or a couple of motorcycles in the garage (important for me, as I'm traveling by motorbike).

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo