“Good food but expensive”

Espressonista Specialty Coffeebar and Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 171 Restaurants in Granada
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Modern environment in a neoclassical property constructed in 1886. We've forged a relationship with Nicaragua's best coffee producers to provide you with an excellent cup. High altitude, shade grown boutique crops yield coffees with a crisp and balanced acidity, roundness, sweetness and rich chocolate-like brews. These farmers know what they do. The poetry is ever intended at Espressonista. On your table we serve local, slightly smoked ham. The brie, the camembert and manchego are also from Masatepe and Matagalpa. Organic lettuce, baby asparagus and other greens from Ticuantepe. Chez nous, we know where everything comes from. We bake our own pastries and breads, make our own ice creams, brew our own beer. We love food, drink and good company. Join us!
Reviewed 18 September 2013

i habe been to this Cafe in the past 4 weeks 3 times and do not understand why most reviews say they have the best coffee in town...I had 3 times a coffee (Latte Macchiato, Expresso and regular cup of coffee and i never found the coffee is that great was o.k but that its. Service is really good and food also was never disappointed but if you pay for salad without meat 10 USD i think its crazy....thats more expensive than in most Restaurant in NY. The location is also not the best and on a noise street...In overall i can give only a 3 star ranking..

4  Thank salta2
Andres L, Manager at Espressonista Specialty Coffeebar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear salta2,

Our coffee is OK as you said. Possibbly makes it excellent to other of our guest, because it has its story. The farmer won an award last year for this coffee called The Cup of Excellence. Valued by international coffee experts. This coffee and other ok coffees leave nicargua to provide the high quality abroad for the global market.

Nowadays people started to enjoy coffee like they do it with wine. So for some people it is a great experience. Identifying the different notes that are comming from a same lot, same estate.

So who can apreciate all this in a cup we are here, providing the best that the counrty can produce.

About Pricing

an espresso costs $1.50,an americano $2, a capuccino $2.50 That is $0.50 more that the coffee priced at any of nicaraguas petrol stations.

I let everybody decide wich one is better.

Food/ Salad

For organic family farm/ cooperative grown produce, that is our price. Salad without meat comes with crottin matured goat cheese from Maschapa, asparagus, aubergine, ruccola, from Tiquantepe organic farm, roasted red peppers, avocado, roasted nuts, baby corn and tahini dressing etc.

It gives a fully balanced meal for a vegetarian person with no meat. For a starter version of it the price is $4.50 the main size yes its $9. If somebody request it comes with our home made bread as our sandwiches are made with that too. So far everybody was very satisfied with it.
A salad in any fast food restaurant in Managua cost $6.5.
For you possibly as a meat lover an 8oz filete mignon with sides included possibly would fit better for $12.
Your opinion for these dishes and the coffee has same price in NYC it is not correct.
Actually the coffee from the same farmer sold in New York, and Miami for $20 for a bag of 1 lb. at specialty coffe stores. At us is $9.50

At any restaurants in the USA or in Whole Foods if you eat and buy organic the price is higher also. It comes with higher nutritional value and support for local farming.
Our pricing is still half of the above mentioned.

I can suggest to you or anybody to try let us know when you are present here if you have any consideration and/or opinion about anything. As we always ask all of our guest. That comes with our "really good food and service" as you mentioned in your valuation.

About the location

we are 10- 15mins walk fom Parque Central. Away from the hustle and bustle of La Calzada and away from the venders who approach you with different things to buy at every 2 mins if you sit down there. Besides some of the regular sounds of cars passing by there is much less noise here than around Parque Central with all the conjected buses, taxies.

We have a garden also just behind the grand sala of the cafe where people can sit and relax comfortably.

If you fly here from Venezuela and compare us with New York City, I ask what is "not the best location" means for you?

In overall I can thank you for your statement that: "the service is very good and the food was never disappointing!" It is very important for us! I hope with my answers above you got to know more about our coffee, food. And got to know how important for us the origin, the quality and honest opinion of our guests.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

If there is one thing you should do in Granada, it is eat and drink at this place!!

We ate here on 2 occasions, lunch with coffee then a 3 course dinner, and after both times we walked out extremely happy.
For lunch we had coffees with the local ham and cheese, salad sandwich, as well as the gazpacho. Both so very tasty.
For dinner, we started with a local camembert souffle, then had both the salmon steak and fillet mignon, then finished with home made ice-cream and a lemon tart. Absolutley flawless! And for the quality of food you enjoy, the price is very reasonable.

What makes the experience richer.. the staff are super passionate about their menu. They have outstanding knowledge about their food and support local produce where they can.
Because of this passion, knowledge and produce, the food and coffee is second to none.

The service is fast and friendly. The decor and overall feel is fresh and welcoming in a colonial setting. There is a clothes boutique at the back that adds another great element to the experience. Also just a stones throw away from the main Cathedral area.

My friend and I (both foodies) have been travelling for 6 months and believe this standard of food is world class! We also compared our experience here with other establishments in Granada. Of 3 days of eating out for every meal, this is the only place we were not dissappointed. Our only regret is.. we should have stayed in Granada longer to eat again here.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I was there last Sunday with my sister to check on the place as it was recommended by another friend. I was not disappointed. The hosts, Andrés and Zoltan are very kind and make you feel at home. Besides, the house is decorated in a very charming, original way and with good taste. I could not have lunch or any other supper there at this time, as I was in a hurry. But my sister tasted their home made ice cream (to die for) and I tasted their yogurt with granola and exotic tropical fruits. All was great! But the best surprise was to come when Zoltan gave us to try two pieces of his fresh bread which had just come out of the oven. One of them was dark with pecan seeds and raisins, while the other one was white bread with olives. They were so good that we bought the whole bread! We plan to go back there next weekend to have Brunch. The ambiance is very European and I enjoyed and appreciated that as I live in Europe and travel often to Nicaragua.

1  Thank santirila
Reviewed 27 August 2013

You may need to ask a Taxi to take you here and help find this restaurant - but you won't be disappointed. It is worth the effort!
The restaurant (actually a bohemian coffee bar type place) offers only 2-3 options for main plates and also minimal options as entrees, but each is carefully prepared and each we [4 of us] tried was delicious. The appetizer plate consisted of cheeses, asparagus, cranberry, walnuts, raw veggies and smoked ham. There was also beer made on the premises: a dark ale and an amber lager; both excellent [I know because I tried both]. Desert was coconut flavoured sherbet or basil sherbet - bot richly flavoured. This was served with an award winning coffee [grown by the Espressonista Group] from the northern highlands of Nicaragua. A great evening of culinary fare!!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Nice European ambiance in a Colonial setting. We had dinner, table of four, tried almost all what was on the menu for that particular day. Great service, nice food. Good eye for details.
It also has an interesting little boutique in the courtyard and from what I could see, nice fashionable styles and nice fabrics.
Both great classy additions to Granada.