“We thought the food was good . . . and a bit pricey”
Review of PUEBLO Cocina de Mexico - CLOSED

PUEBLO Cocina de Mexico
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in town and stopped in on a whim. Enjoyed a nice lunch with food a step above and different from a lot of the local "cuisine." It's a little difficult for me as I grew up in AZ and the southwest U.S. and got spoiled by great "texmex" food. Waiter was attentive and worked to make sure that we enjoyed our time and meal. If you're looking for something with a bit of Mexico flair and don't mind paying a bit more for your meal, we'd recommend it.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

The "tacos" were crumbly corn tortillas with soupy chicken on them, and very little salsa. The Flor de Jamaica margarita just plain tasted bad. They charged way too much for what I got. Go someplace else.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Having lived in Granada for over 11 years, I normally don't like to write negative reviews. There are endless amounts of bad and overpriced restaurants in town focusing on ripping off one time tourists customers. I had high hopes on Pueblo and have eaten there around 10 times. It is a new restaurant and in the beginning I had some really bad meals there. I kept coming back though because I like the location and I love Mexican food and as I did the food improved. Their prices are high for Nicaragua but if I get a good meal I don't mind. Around 12 dollars for a service of 3 plain soft tacos plus one local beer. Yesterday I went there ordering beef tacos for the 4th time. You get 3 soft tacos filled with plain meat and with some small, very hard and thick chips on the side that I am not fond of. Yesterday my chips came sprinkled with a small amount to 'pico de gallo', chopped tomatoes, onions and green peppers totally free of hot pepper or hot spice on top of the chips. I scraped off what I could of the 'pico de gallo' to put on my first soft taco and found it was not enough to cover it. So I asked for some more as well as some hot sauce, just like I had done every time I visited this place before. The hot sauce is jalapeño based put through a food processor and is good. Nothing wrong with the very plain but fresh 'pico de gallo' either. All in all, I had a good meal. It was time to pay the bill. I found my 300 cordobas was not enough this time because I was charged 25 cordobas for the hot sauce & 25 cordobas for the 'pico de gallo'. I found this unacceptable out of principle and asked for the owner. This exceptionally arrogant and foolish man, rather than resolve this minor matter, treated me with extreme rudeness, doing his best to reduce me to cheap trailer trash with one tactless comment after the other. Then to show off how superior he was, a cigar butt in his mouth, he told me I didn't have to pay anything for the meal because he had no use for cheap customers who could not handle paying 2 dollar for hot sauce and salsa. Then he reached across the table and offered me his hand while introducing himself. Would you shake the hand of a man like that? I hope not.
I am willing to bet that Pueblo, Cocina de Mexico in the only Mexican style food restaurant in the whole world who charges extra for hot sauce. I strongly recommend you do not support this unethical business. I also have heard many negative comments about the place from friends in town. I walked away from there very disturbed when all I was looking for was to eat a good meal in peace and pay a fair price for it.

3  Thank alfred t
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Best Flor de Jamaica margaritas we've ever had ! A must if you go. We ordered a bunch of appetizers like cheese and bean melt and guacamole both with home made tortilla chips followed by carne asada. All good. Inexpensive. Great central location away by central square.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Visited the restaurant after questioning some patrons in the front who highly recommended it. The owner (William?) came out and greeted us without judgement of our dirty post volcano hike scrubbiness. We were given a bowl of salsa and chips when we sat down. We ordered ceviche, barbacoa and carne asada burritos. They hooked us up w/ an extra ceviche for free. We also had michelatas which were on the spicy side. The food was bomb.com though and reasonably priced. The beefy waiter came by multiple times to wipe off the condensation from our michelatas and keep away a sketchy person that was skulking around (we sat outside near the street). Owner came back to check on us and chat about the town. We were the last ones at the restaurant but there was no pressure to leave. Also, bathrooms were clean. Overall, very satisfied with our decision!