My girlfriend and I have stayed at most of the top rated hotel/B&Bs in Granada and we have been in Nicaragua for 5 weeks now. We stayed at La Gran Francia two days ago and the room quality was the best so far. The king bed was super comfortable, with great linens, many comfy pillows. The bed was to die for really. The room was large and tastefully decorated and well insulated so it kept cool and quiet. If you want a good night's sleep in Granada, you cannot beat this place!
The narrow courtyard and pool is nice, but not expansive. We liked swimming and reading here, but you won't be able to get any sun in this place. That's ok for us. The location is probably the most central and convenient you will find in Granada. The staff is helpful and friendly and more professional and polished than most places which was nice.
We are currently staying in Hotel Patio del Malinche which is nice and well run, but we want to return to La Gran Francia which currently has no vacancies. The room quality is just far superior to Malinche.
The only place in Granada I would rather stay than Gran Francia is Miss Margrits which is usually booked full. No place in Granada beats Miss Margrits for feeling at home and comfortable, and I will say now that Gran Francia is our personal number two! I will now list in order what we liked best in Granada.
1. Miss Margrits 2. La Gran Francia 3. Malinche 4. La Islita 5. Casa Cubana
We have looked at many places in Granada and chose not to stay at other places, so being on our list means they are all good. Of note, we heard that La Bocona was nice, but chose not to stay there because no air conditioning as rooms are too large an not insulated for that. The huge rooms have mosquito nets which adds to the heat. It is a big place, but we didn't like the vibe. It was also obvious that these rooms would be very noisy since they are on the main street where trucks and cars drive on all day AND night. We know from experience that this street is noisy because we stayed at Casa Cubana also on the same street. Casa Cuba is beautiful, although smallish courtyard. The rooms are nice, but very noisy and we won't stay there again because of this.
I hope this helps future travelers here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located right off the main square of the historical colonial city of Granada, La Gran Francia is a splendid ancestral building whose existence historians argue dates back to the years immediately following the founding of Granada, in 1524. This architectural jewel was restored during the decade of the 1990's, recovering the majesty and splendor of its heyday and today houses our hotel restaurant, bars and banquet hall facilities. In two distinct and centric settings, La Gran Francia Colonial Hotel offers its guests a total of 35 air-conditioned rooms, with all modern comforts and amenities. At La Gran Francia Colonial Hotel, you will be able to enjoy the best of Nicaraguan hospitality and the rustic elegance of colonial Granada. La Gran Francia has been recommended by Conde Nast Traveller and Samantha Brown from The Discovery Channel, among others. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Gran Francia Granada
- La Gran Francia Hotel Granada