“Great staff, great location, great hotel!”

La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Granada
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Great staff, great location, great hotel!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The architecture of the hotel is very well preserved, so you really get involved in the city´s colonial and historic vibe. The location is really convenient and centric. The staff was always ahead of our needs.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the second floor to have a great view over the city's colonial rooftops.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LigiaMV, Owner at La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Granada. We hope to see you again soon.

Happy travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I only had one night to stay in Granada on my way down to San Juan del Sur. That's a shame, since it meant that I only had a one night stay at La Gran Francia. The staff were very gracious and kind. My Spanish is good, not great, but we were able to communicate fairly well and all with good humor and an obvious desire on their part to make my stay comfortable. The room was charming, comfortable, and had a lovely view of the top of the cathedral. The TV wasn't plugged in or hooked up to the cable, but it could have been had I asked. I decided I didn't need it. My one disappointment was with the bath/shower. I couldn't get enough water flow to draw a bath in less than an hour, and the shower never did get beyond tepid. Too bad after a long day of sticky travel. But I had a very nice dinner in the restaurant, where I was the only guest that night. And breakfast the next morning was healthy, pretty, substantial and included. The property itself is part of Granada history and is beautifully maintained. Staying here was a visual pleasure and a perfect start to my great Nicaraguan vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CBMcDonald
LigiaMV, Owner at La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear CBMacDonald,

We are very happy to hear that you generally enjoyed our stay with us, albeit its short duration and issues with the showers. The low water pressure, unfortunately, is a city-wide problem at the moment, but we are trying to find a solution to it. I will be sure to mention the water heater issue to our maintenance staff.

It is only through the candid and detailed feedback from valued guests like yourself that we can hope to improve our service, so thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you again soon.

Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed off-season so the price was very comfortable. We were greeted warmly and the bellmen were so helpful and kind. The room was gorgeous, in a historical building a few steps from the central park and historic district of Granada. The breakfast included was wonderfully prepared and light. We wanted to swim in the pool so bad but time did not permit. This is my second stay, and I know where I'm staying every time I go to Granada.

• Stayed May 2014
LigiaMV, Owner at La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Jaime V.

Thank you so much for continually choosing La Gran Francia. We're proud to know that we have fulfilled your expectations and you keep coming back. When you do return, make sure to mention to our staff that you're a repeat customer and you join our loyalty program and enjoy of its benefits.

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I spent 4 nights in this hotel in early 2014. It is very well located near the central park and many of the local sights. The staff is super attentive and helpful and the entire hotel is spotlessly clean. Great hotel for a romantic weekend. I really enjoyed the second floor rooms with small balconies overlooking the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Scott J,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're very happy you enjoyed your stay and our staff's hospitality.

Ketchum, Idaho
Reviewed 21 June 2014

What a great hotel. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Located just off town square, so I could swoop in really easily and take showers (to cool down). I'm a photographer, and I would do 'laps' within the town core and the hotel was such a nice refuge from the heat. A great view of the yellow cathedral from my balcony! Great little garden for breakfast. It's been redecorated, but they still retained the old school charm. Love the floor tiles! Were they vintage? My air conditioner worked so well, my room was almost cold. A welcome respite. I would totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: splurge and get one with a balcony overlooking the cathedral
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Dear ThiaKonig,

What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed account of your experiences in Granada and in our hotel. I'm sure many Trip Advisor users will find it helpful. And thank you for posting all those wonderful pictures. I'm very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Happy Travels!
Saint-Raphael, France
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My fiance and I went for a week end in granada at la gran francia. You cant find abetter location, the hotel is very charming, much more in live than on the web site. The service was great, at the front desk people were really helpful and nice. The breakfast was great overlooking the garden. We had a great time and the value is just amazing. Will go back for sure.

• Stayed June 2014
LigiaMV, Manager at La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Empire83,

Thank you for your kind review and for taking the time to write it. We're very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Happy Travels!
Nosara, Costa Rica
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at the Gran Francia in the past (about 8 years ago) and it has stuck in my mind ever since as a wonderful property worthy of a return visit. It was with this expectation that we made reservations for a repeat. The property is still super with an excellent location but my one complaint would be that the staff seems to just not be invested. We did an early check in (mid day) so the fact that there was no soap and the shower curtain was half off the hangers was overlooked. We had requested a quiet room at reservation and at check in and were placed right on the noisy street. This was not so bad actually as all the rooms are fairly quiet but we could have easily been put off the street as the hotel was about 1/3 full. The front desk seemed to be there because they had to with no special efforts made and smiles few and far between. Water cooler on the second floor was empty for our 2 day stay. Again, this is a very cool property and with a little management tweak could again be that special destination I recall
from a few years past.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carl w
LigiaMV, Owner at La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Carl W,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your frankness. It is only through the assistance of candid feedback, like yours, that we can better our service.

We have owned La Gran Francia for over a dozen years and our current manager understands the importance of training our staff to offer our guests the best in Nicaraguan hospitality. We will definitely be following up on your feedback with our staff.

Thanks again and happy travels!