La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante
Tribal Hotel(Granada)
Hotel Dario(Granada)
Hotel Estrada(Granada)
View Hotel
Hotel Patio del Malinche(Granada)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsseparate buildingbeautiful hotelantique furniturehotel restaurantthe main squarecolonial architecturecourtyard gardenvisited granadathe ground floorcentral parkthe general managerhot waterroom was largethree nightsplunge poolbreakfast is servedfantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We recently had the pleasure of visiting Granada, Nicaragua and stayed 2 nights at La Gran Francia and had a great stay. The hotel is right off the Central Park and is surrounded by great restaurants. Our room had a comfy bed and a balcony and AC, which, I'm not going to lie, was GREAT to walk into after walking around the humid city.

We were able to explore the city easily from the hotel and felt very safe. I would suggest the carriage ride, while you are in the city and a visit to the local market where they have EVERYTHING!

The only thing about the hotel was that the pool was kind of in the middle of the lobby, and I'm not a big fan of indoor pools, so I didn't really take advantage of swimming in there. There was enough to keep us busy though, and the AC hit the spot!

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did have the National Drink, a Macua, I think that was how it was spelled, and it was kind of a girly, fruity drink, but yummy! And the bar has an outdoor seating area, and is quite nice to sit at, in the evening.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel, if you are in Granada, Nicaragua.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Ya-a-a-h...It's OK. It's a beautiful renovation job. Some kind of dream of Portugal, or someplace like that. But when you get past the look...Nothin's really happening. It doesn't really seem to relate to its surroundings that much, and the staff in general seem bored to tears and unable to work up much enthusiasm for life, and especially for YOU. With one exception: the mega-charming Alexandra. But whose fault is all of this? Too many of the fellow travelers I met seemed to be going through Nicaragua with a map of Costa Rica implanted in their brains. Nicaraguan culture is much more complex and complicated than that. And if people don't pay attention, then as long as they get their Boutique Hotel they should be happy. I'll admit: I loved my air-conditioning. But I find the whole Grenada project, and Gran Francia specifically, a little questionable.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We have been both on a 10 days trip in Nicaragua from the 16 of April to the 26, we have visited a number of hotels and here is what we found:

The Hotel La Gran Francia in Granada dates back to 1524 and has been fully renovated over the past few years; the hotel building is separated from the restaurant and bar building structure. Both elements are perfectly renovated with beautiful artifacts, paintings and a well balanced old influence for today’s needs.

Please note that we were not able to stay overnight as previously planed due to full occupancy, however we had the chance to inspect to hotel, guest rooms, the restaurant and Bar area, with a 2nd floor lounge overlooking the plaza and streets of Granada.

The service, friendliness as well as the quality of Food and Beverage items did surprise us most of all, taking all places into account where we have been during our trip, we both agree that Nicaragua’s kitchen can easily be considered as the best in Central America.

All areas of operations including Front desk, Guest rooms and small garden areas were in perfect condition, the education of the employees we met was outstanding always ready to go the extra mile. The guest rooms are beautifully decorated, focusing on the old Spanish style and giving the best possible comfort.

Considering the price value aspect, both the hotel as well as the restaurant and bar part is outstanding. We both can only highly recommend this property, even more so as it is considered a 4 star hotel but for sure offers 5 star services and standards. Well worth to stay at least a few nights in the area.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank GlobetroterAmericas
Reviewed 20 April 2008

i liked this place, it has a lot of style and really gives you a wonderful experience of staying in a colonial building so typical for Granada. My room was downstairs and therefore a bit dark, try if you can get a room upstairs as i expect these have more daylaight. Loveley bathroom (although as noted in other reviews the shower does not get very hot) and a very helpfull staf. Not cheap, but this place is well run. The noise can carry a bit though, so once again, if you are a light sleeper, request for a room upstairs. The location is one of the best in town.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank esthergoesasia
Reviewed 9 February 2008

From the moment the Hotel arranged transport picked us up at the airport, until the moment they dropped us back at the airport for our return home this hotel consistently exceeded our expectations Our room was immaculate and cool with a small balcony overlooking the street, on which serveral nights we just sat, had a beer and took in street life. The bathroom, although short of storage was perfecctly adequate. EVERYTHING worked - A/C, hot water room safe, mini bar!!

Whilst we were away my partner celebrated her birthday. I asked the hotel to arrange for a birthday cake as a surprise and to deliver it to our table after dinner. Not only did the cake arrive, with singing staff but earlier that day on our return from a day trip a hugh bouquet, wishing her a happy birthday was delivered to our room from the hotel. What a great gesture

Breakfast is served on a patio overlooking a small garden - the food served sets you up perfectly for a "hard" day's sightseeing - and believe me, there is plently to see both in Granada and in the rest of Nicaragua.

We had two evening meals at the hotel both were excellent - the one night that i had steak it was likely the biggest steak that I have ever been faced with in my entire life.

If you are thinking of a trip to Nicaragua which includes Granada give this hotel a try - I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple