“A Haven in Granada”

GreenLeadersGold level
Whangarei, New Zealand
“A Haven in Granada”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This hotel was a haven in Granada. We had a room right next to the delightful small swimming pool, and enjoyed walking in off the hot dusty street into a cool, cared for and relaxing environment made every day a pleasure. Nice staff, good breakfasts. My husband is a retired airline pilot, and has stayed in many hotels. This one was one of his favourites.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Slovak first
hot springs, sd
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Wonderful hotel! Wonderful GUIDE: Geovanny is the hotels go-to local guide and you could not ask for a sweeter, kinder, or more honest guide. Geovanny speaks English and knows his town and the surrounding areas. He is affordable and funny and charming. ROOMS: our room was average, but they have nicer rooms too. We didn't care because we hung out at the pool (tiny but charming and cool after a hot day), in the lovely courtyard (think cool, tropical flora, and two parrots), in the tiny lobby bar or on the rooftop terrace. We stayed one night in the Annex, which we absolutely loved for the spacious, old world room, huge courtyard and pool, and large shared kitchen and common area. DINING AND BAR: The food was fantastic. Your free breakfast is full, delicious, complete with the freshest possible fruit and great coffee. Dinner was also terrific; try to buy a meal like that in the states and you will at least double the price. The bar is minimal at best and could use some good beer! Bring small bills, the staff doesn't have change. No matter, speaking of STAFF: You just couldn't ask for better people helping you solve little travel problems and see the city and surrounding areas. The front desk staff all speak English and made phone calls for us and helped us with everything (okay, except change.) The rest of the staff doesn't speak English but they still make it all good. Friendly, warm, everything you could ask for in a relaxed, mid-range hotel, and more! HOTEL VS ANNEX: I'm glad we stayed in both...the hotel keeps you in the midst of things. The Annex is private and peaceful and lets you forget the outside world. Either will make most travelers very happy! LOCATION: Just a couple blocks from Parque Central and La Calzada. Lots of restaurants close walking distance. FREE GYM: You get several free day passes to a nearby gym (which also offers spa services). Pure Gym is fabulous, complete with lovely courtyard and big African turtle. I could have happily stayed there, in the hammock!

Room Tip: Annex is private and huge. Rooms by the pool looked a little nicer than our other ground floor room...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Overall I would say I recommend this hotel. I am an airline employee, and traveling standby, so they agreed to be helpful if we were not able to make our flight. Also, we added a day at the beginning of the trip, but left for a day in the middle of our stay, and came back. They were willing to accommodate us with both of these changes. The room was nice, bed comfortable. We were disappointed when we arrived late at night the air conditioner had not been turned on prior to our arrival. We were tired and the room was hot. We would have liked a cool room to walk into. Also, when we returned from our side trip, the air in the room didn't work. They were not able to fix it for us, as it was a Sunday. They also had no rooms to switch us to. Then, when I went to check out and pay for our second part of the stay, we were charged $10US more than they had quoted me because it was the beginning of the Holy Week celebration.

The staff was extremely nice. Breakfast was excellent. If you want to eat on the roof, they will bring all your food up there, and they are happy to do it. The pool is perfect at the end of a day of touring. Rooms are nice, comfy beds, safes in the room. Price is right. We thought cocktails were pricey compared to what you would pay on the Main Street. Overall this was a good choice, just a few small problems.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
helena g, Gerente at Casa San Francisco, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear Kristie,
this is Helena Gil, general Manager at Hotel CSF. Thank you for you review and your recommendation about our hotel. I'm also happy with your comments about our staff, we always try to help our guest in whatever they may need so that their stay is the most confortable.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience with the A/C you had on sunday, we do regular general maintainance every six months as well as monthly cleaning of filters to try to avoid unexpected problems, but things happen from a moment to another, sunday night there is no chance at all to get someone to fix an A/C device.

We have a sustainability politic at the hotel that includes sustainable use of energy. That means that all electric devices are only turned on when the clients come in, unless the client specify something different. We expect to promote a responsible use of all our resources.

As for the prices, Ihave checked our mails. We had given you the high season price for our suite (95 U$/night plus taxes) but at the time of you registration it was still low season, that's why we charged the regular price for the first nights, and then the high season price for the only night you stayed with us during Eastern Week. We also gave you the 10% discount we always offer to airline employees.

I hope you will come back to visit us next time you come to Granada,
thanks again for your comments,
yours sincerely

Helena Gil
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Casa San Francisco several times and we love love love it. The hotel is attractive and comfortable and everyone on the hotel staff is friendly and helpful. Casa San Francisco is beautifully decorated and maintained, and the owners have put a lot of time and effort into creating a welcoming and unique atmosphere for their guests. We have had some delicious meals at the hotel restaurant and the wait and bar staff are wonderful. CSF is also in a great location within easy walking distance to the Parque Central and a number of restaurants and stores, but located far enough away that you aren't bothered by the noise of the clubs and restaurants at night. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Granada. We just got home from our most recent visit and are already looking forward to our next one!

Other recommendations - Garden Cafe just up the street from CSF is a great place for lunch and the baked goods, desserts and beverages at Lily's Cafe on the park next to Plaza Colon are delicious!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne H
Boaco, Nicaragua
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have stayed here twice and am totally in love with it. The staff is warm and welcoming (and bilingual!) and the patios and pool areas are quiet and charming. There's also a terrace that offers a great view of the rooftops of Granada. The rooms are comfortable and clean with air-conditioning, TV, safe, and electrically-heated water. I felt completely safe and relaxed here. When I am back in Granada, I know where I will be staying!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Matagalpa, Nicaragua
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed here more than once as it is such a clean, friendly, and comfortable hotel. The staff was more than willing to help me with all my needs and were super friendly advising me where to go, what to see, and how to do it all. I've recommended this hidden gem to anyone I know looking for a nicer hotel in Granada.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Culver City, California
Reviewed 14 April 2013

A friend recommended this place, and unfortunately I did not go.
I went by several times to eat at the restaurant and to have a drink at the bar.
Such a lovely place, and a great vibe.
Next time I go back to Granada, I'll definitely be staying here.
The people are absolutely lovely and helpful.
And the food in the restaurant is the best in all of Granada.
The dragon roll was delish!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends