“Charming hotel in great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa San Francisco

Casa San Francisco
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Granada
“Charming hotel in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

This is a charming hotel in a great location. Terry and her staff are all lovely, helpful people. It is clean, they have AC, cable TV, beautiful foliage, GREAT breakfasts, a few blocks from everything, safe and beautiful birds to wake you in the morning. There is also a travel agent next door called Oro Travel. Ask for Gonzalo who is terrific at setting up any tours you would like even at the last moment. I truly have been missing the place since coming home. Also spend an afternoon at San Simian on Lake Apoyo (owned by Terry's sister) It is so relaxing, so pristine - the nicest lake I ever swam in. The only thing they are missing is better reading lights in the rooms, other than that Perfecto!

• Liked — clean, safe, location
  • Disliked — reading light in rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Slovak first
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

Casa San Francisco has a charming courtyard covered with vines, old adobe tiled roof lines, parrots all over the garden and a lovely pool. The owner was gracious, breakfast was good and our rooms were clean. The owner's parrots are let out of their cage to patrol the courtyard and visit with the guests during breakfast.

Note to coffee drinkers - although brewed coffee can be difficult to find in Nicaragua, Casa San Francisco provides your own pot of coffee with breakfast. After suffering through a week of tepid cups of hot water and instant coffee crystals on the Corn Islands, this meant a lot to me.

The ambiance fit the colonial feel of Granada. The rooms smelled wonderful - like exotic hardwood or the inside of a cigar box. The Spanish tilework in the bathrooms was attractive and the hot water worked.

The location made it great for exploring Granada on foot as it is only about 3 blocks from the central square and felt like a safe walk. The farmers market is about 7 blocks away.

Our room was $69 dollars a night including all taxes and breakfast for two of us.

The only annoying aspect of the hotel was the very pushy tour guide/host (but I will admit that he spoke perfect English). I admire his salesmanship, but he kept trying to foil our attempt at a romantic dinner. We wanted to go on a tour until he annoyed us out of it! Not a bad kid but he needs to learn how to take a hint.

• Liked — the courtyard, rooms, parrots, location
  • Disliked — the tour guide who couldn't take a hint
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Parismina
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

We stayed five nights in August at the Casa San Francisco annex. The annex section is basically like staying as a guest in the owners home. Our room was large and had a private bathroom and a/c located in the back of the courtyard. Terry, the owner, is very gracious and basically invited us to make ourselves at home within her home. The annex section is great for families and our two children were able to spread out a bit if someone wanted to watch tv for awhile and someone else wanted to read.
My husband and two children enjoyed playing street soccer with some of the local children and we enjoyed having all the space and the refreshing pool after a hot day touring the sights of Grenada.
The restaurant serves excellent food, the hotel and annex are in a great central location withing walking distance of the San Francisco Convent and many, many wonderful restaurants.
I can't recommend this property enough. Everything was perfect and I would definitely stay here again.
Terry puts her heart and soul into this place and you can tell. She even thanked us for staying with her and told me it was a pleasure to have my family stay there. You will feel a personal touch if you stay here.

• Liked — room to spread out, the beautiful colonial feel to the place
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank playa4ever
Damascus, Syria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

Casa San Francisco was the first place that I stayed at during my trip to Nicaragua. As I knew it was supposed to be one of the best places to stay in Granada, my expectations were high. By the end of my stay (a total of three nights), I was hugely enamored with the place. Here's why:
a) the rooms are very well decorated with cool tile floors and local art
b) the bathrooms are clean and very attractive - they also have brightly tiled floors and walls
c) the AC was nearly silent and amazingly effective
d) there was an incredible selection of channels on the TV (not a huge deal, but a really nice perk)
e) the complementary breakfast is brilliant - eggs, fresh homemade bread, beans & rice, a pitcher of coffee, and tasty fruit
f) everyone who works there (front desk, bar, waitresses, cleaning people) is kind, friendly, and hugely helpful
g) the garden in the center of the hotel is full of cool birds (love birds, parrots, etc) and is very beautiful - a fantastic place to enjoy breakfast in the morning

Overall, this place is fantastic. An excellent place to make a base for travels all around Granada and surrounding towns. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — The overall feel of the place - and breakfast
  • Disliked — n.a.
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank Evelyn A
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

At the beginning of my trip to Nicaragua I stayed 5 days at Casa San Francisco. The experience was so wonderful that I arranged for two more stays during my holiday. Every time all the friendly, helpful staff provided incredible service. They answered all my questions, gave travel advice, arranged trips for me, and were wonderful people to spend time with. When I came back for my third stay it was like coming back to family. The rooms were very comfortable and well decorated. The free breakfasts were always a treat and Octavio the cook prepared amazing meals. I will share one of many stories I could tell about these special people. On my second visit they arranged for me to go watch their local pro baseball team play. Unfortunately, the game as rained out. On my third visit as I was walking thru the city Osman , the bar man, saw me and got off his motorbike to welcome me back. When I returned to the hotel he had arranged for me to go with Octavio to a playoff game that day. Octavio waited while I got ready, paid for the taxi, bought me a beer and was very reluctant to take any money. Casa San Francisco is an amazing Hotel

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephen T
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Wish I had found this place earlier in my trip. It's location (central, but quiet) and facilties were excellent and the charm involved in the decorating simply made this my favorite hotel in two weeks in Nicaragua.

Stayed July 2008
Prescott, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2008

What a great hotel. My sisters and I had a wonderful time at Casa San Francisco. The staff was helpful and welcoming from the moment we arrived. The beds were comfortable, we had A/C when needed, the room was clean and the furnishings were done in quiet good taste. The cuisine from the restaurant was excellent; we ate breakfast there daily and had at least four other meals there. Staff members arranged for excursions and transportation, which made our visit so easy. I can say that our visit to Casa San Francisco and Granada was one of the best experiences our lives--everything was perfect. Terry has a great establishment, and I have already recommended this hotel to my friends in Arizona.

• Liked — How incredibly nice the employees were to guests. And they really liked their employer.
  • Disliked — It would have been helpful to have a chair in the room, but we just brought in one from the patio area.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family