“Become part of the family”
Review of Casa San Francisco

Casa San Francisco
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Casa San Francisco was the absolute perfect home base for my first trip to Nicaragua. Terry and the staff are there to help you every step of the way. Go downstairs for breakfast every morning and you're bound to meet someone who is doing something amazing that day and needs a partner in crime, plus the breakfast is fabulous and complimentary. Cool off in the pool between adventures and enjoy the sunset on the rooftop patio. After a few days you feel like family, so I stayed an extra week! There's something special going on here. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My adult daughter and I had never been to Nicaragua before, our goal was going to set up a social work practicum for myself in 2015. The minute we walked into Casa San Francisco, we felt how special it was. The owners Terry and Nancy are wonderful, their staff is excellent and we felt like family soon after we arrived. The hotel is beautiful with attention to detail. The courtyard was beautiful and the pool was refreshing. Our room was comfortable and the staff did everything they could to make our stay pleasant and relaxing. Giovanni was a wonderful tour guide, we felt like he was knowledgeable and we recommend him if you want to take any tours. The restaurant has wonderful food and we ate there a few times during our 2 week stay. Janeth who works in the restaurant was wonderful and she helped me with my Spanish skills. My daughter and I made some great friends here and we had a wonderful experience. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have been to Nicaragua about 15 times before and this was my first time staying at CSF . I was there In early July with my 70 year old mother and twin girls. We had two twin rooms and found the location as well as the rooms to be fantastic! The air conditioner worked great. The front desk staff were VERY helpful, and though we spoke in Spanish they were clearly fluent in English as well. The hotel arranged transportation for us from Esetli to Granada. The dirver was pleasant and the SUV was well maintained and air conditoned as well. What a treat!!! as I usually travel by public transportation in Nicaragua. Prior to our arrival the hotel was very prompt in responding to our e-mails regarding tours and we ended up taking a great tour of Mambacho arranged by CSF. Our guide Giovani was friendly, spoke English and was very knowledgeable about the flora and Fauna of Mambacho. Even though our views were not great because of the clouds he made the trek exciting for all! Breakfast at the hotel was delicious , though my mom tells me the coffee was bitter and strong. The showers while not exactly hot were still a nice tepid temperature and much better than our usual cold showers. The front desk staff also helped us find a nice place for dinner and directed me to the local post office. Beware however that the pool though beautiful is not much larger than a really big bath tub, and don't forget the taxes increase the total bill 15-20 %.
Over all I would definitley recommend this boutique-like hotel and will be staying here again.
PS. If you have time check out San Simian at Laguna De Apoyo- A wonderful small eco resort about an hour away.

Room Tip: The hotel is small so if you want more than one room on the same floor be sure and tell them this.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Love this place! Their staff is so welcoming and friendly and they speak English. The hotel itself is adorable. It has such charm and warmth and is right around the corner from the main square. Our room was wonderful and there were stairs to an adorable rooftop patio right outside our door. The restaurant is really great too! The complementary breakfast was hands down the best breakfast I've had on my trip (I got the huevos rancheros). The front desk girl even called a hotel in Esteli to make a reservation for us and upon our return to Granada held our bags when we were waiting for our bus to go back to Costa Rica. Couldn't speak highly enough of this hotel. Granada is a beautiful city and when I come back I'll be staying at Casa San Francisco.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Lizarddan
Reviewed 17 July 2014

First i would like to thank Terri for the wonderful conversation,politics,religion and the state of the world. Grethell was one of the most friendliest person i ever met behind a desk.She took the time to explain,the town and the sights.When i needed to change my flight she called the airlines. She is going to run the place, a real gem.The hotel has great rooms ,we stayed in 3 different rooms over our 2 different stays.The place is clean ,the breakfast was delicious ,a whole pot of coffee, The location is great close to the square on a quite street.When i come back Casa San Francisco will be my home base,Three weeks in Nicaragua and we will return soon.Hopefully I can find a job teaching Algebra for a couple hours a day.Thanks Ray and Patty

Room Tip: Use this place as your home base.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at CSF a couple of nights in late June with my two nephews (ages 18 and 22). Have visited Granada several times in the past and I make it a point of staying there. As others, as well as myself have stated in previous reviews, it is hard to beat. We arrived late in the afternoon, after a stay on Little Corn, received a friendly greeting, and were in our poolside room in a matter of minutes. The staff hustled to get us an extra rollaway and we were freshened-up and out and about quickly for dinner. We called it an early evening and had a restful sleep. Their breakfast menu has been expanded, but as usual, I stuck with the gallo pinto, eggs, toast and a heaping bowl of fresh fruit. Good to see Terry both mornings for breakfast and catch-up on what's been going on. Some improvements have been made since last summer, including the layout of the reception area and bar. Happy hour ends at 6PM, but the Tonas are cold and the drinks perfect thereafter. The hotel is in a great location, and it's certainly charming, but the friendly, helpful, and accommodating staff are what makes the place five-star in my book. Look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Prefer upstairs rooms in the back overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Casa San Francisco is a fantastic find, charming and centrally located on a quite street - a very easy and fun walk to virtually anywhere in Granada's city center. We arrived exhausted at 5 am and they gave us a room right away - a wonderful surprise. The rooms and beds are super comfortable and very clean. The AC worked great and after an overnight ferry from Indio Maiz it was fabulous to have hot and cold water in the shower (not a given everywhere). The wifi was the highest speed we had on our trip. The hotel staff was very friendly, very helpful and courteous, making every arrangement very efficiently. After long stretches of gallo pinto,our son loved the pancakes at breakfast. The rooms and the breakfast area are set around a lovely green area and a very safe pool that is great delight for kids. We highly recommend Casa San Francisco - for business, family, couples or solo travellers. The owner - Terry - was an absolute delight and was one of the highlights of our trip. Highly recommend this place! Its a no brainer for comfort and convenience!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family