“We loved this hotel!”

Casa San Francisco
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 January 2009

This small hotel was outstanding! I arranged everything online, even the pick up from the Managua airport late at night. Our driver was there to greet us and very friendly and helpful. All the staff at the hotel could not be more friendly. One feels like they are part of a happy family while staying there. They take a personal interest in each and every guest. They are more than willing to assist with all types of travel plans, and always go the extra mile to make you feel right at home. They knew some guides personally that we were able to hire. The rooms are beautiful and the onsite restaurant is out of this world. The food was delicious! Their patio is home to several birds, an iguana, a turtle, and a tortoise. The vegetation is very tropical and beautiful here. The rooftop terrace gives you a view of Granada, and is beautiful at night.
If I return to Granada this is the only place I will stay!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 December 2008

My wife and I spent eleven days in Nicaragua for our honeymoon, and found Casa San Francisco just in time to save the the trip. Prior to leaving the owners of the first hotel we stayed at told us that we didn't need to worry about making plans before getting there. We just needed to get to the hotel and they would help us plan everything. I won't go into much detail, but we found ourselves in the middle of nowhere, with no transportation, no hotel owners, and no english speaking employees. Those first few days were frustrating to say the least. Arriving at Casa San Francisco we found everything we'd been hoping for on the trip. Super friendly people that went way out of their way to help us plan the rest of our trip.

Two people in particular were especially helpful. A woman working at the front desk who helped us plan out the rest of our trip, and Osman our bartender and tour guide.

I wish I could remember the name of the woman at the front desk. Perhaps it was Maria? She spoke excellent english and didn't make us feel like complete jerks for knowing so little spanish. She made reservations for our plane to the Corn Islands, reservations for other hotels, taxis, directions around town, etc. She was amazing, and it's really too bad that we didn't run into her earlier in the trip.

Coming back from dinner our first night in Granada, we met Osman. We had been planning on making it an early night, but we soon found ourselves sitting at the bar drinking Flor De Caña and chatting with Osman. Eventually we learned that he is also one of the hotel's tour guides and set up a trip to Mombacho with him the next day. The Mombacho tour was one of the highlights of the trip, and we were disappointed that we didn't have time to go on any of his other tours. We did however get to spend another night in the bar with him as he entertained us and a few other people that had checked in at the hotel by that point.

We really can't recommend Casa San Francisco highly enough, and if you have time, make sure to stop in the bar to see Osman and set up a tour with him.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MisterNoggin
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Nothing in Granada exceeds the charm, beauty and peace of the hotel Casa San Francisco. The staff form one warm family, dedicated to making their guests feel very much at home.The food is of the highest standard in Nicaragua, and compares most favourably internationally

The hotel San Francisco is a haven for interesting people from all over the world. It provides a unique combination of privacy when required, and fascinating sociability.

As a senior member of the United Nations, I have travelled all over the world, and always sought a hotel like the San Francisco. Often disappointed, but never so in Grenada.

The San Francisco is one of the most special small hotels in the world.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank RALPH07
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I agree with almost everything in the previous reviews, so I'll try to keep it short.

I stayed for a week, the first two nights in one of the $45 rooms (which are an incredible value), followed by five more in a $65 room. I had to change rooms because I'd foolishly said "two nights" when I arrived, and somebody else had booked the inexpensive room in the meantime. My fault, but it didn't matter; both rooms were great; the more expensive one was just a bit more so (bigger, etc.).

I loved the parrots (one large, two small) which had the run of the place; they were quite entertaining. I never saw them caged (as mentioned in a previous review), and I never heard any noise from them at night (per another review). This is probably because Terry, the owner, reads these reviews (Hi Terry!) and fine-tunes things as needed. Charlie, the big parrot, goes home on her shoulder at night and she brings him back in the morning, so he wakes *her* up with his early-morning racket instead of waking the guests. Now that's considerate.

One reviewer mentioned having only two breakfast choices. That wasn't the case for me; I had run of the menu, and I loved the huevos rancheros. Perhaps that was another bit of fine-tuning.

Speaking of food, the restaurant must be one of the best in Granada. Try it on your first night and see what I mean; you might end up having most of your meals there, as I did. World-class gourmet food.

There's one other thing worth mentioning that I couldn't find out about in advance - the hotel does have Wi-Fi. It's in the common areas, and also in the annex around the corner. I was so glad to have this, especially when I wasn't expecting it.

Excellent all around!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank ViajeroPerdido
Reviewed 14 November 2008

We stayed at the Casa San Francisco in late October / early November. It really set the standard for the rest of our trip. Terry, the owner, and all of her staff were great. All extremely friendly, knowledgeable about the area, and completely helpful with anything that came up.

We stayed in the 'Annex' portion of the hotel which was like an oasis in the middle of the city. The pool in the central courtyard is a godsend after a day of checking out the local sights. I really can't imagine staying anywhere more comfortable or inviting. The hotel and annex are only a couple of blocks off of the central square, so you really can't ask for a better location.

A great breakfast at the hotel is included with the room, so every day starts out on a good note. The restaurant serves excellent food all day.

I can't recommend Casa San Francisco highly enough. You feel like family as soon as you walk in the door and the sincere hospitality and personal attention never cease.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2008

We just returned from our first trip to Granada, Nicaragua. We discovered the Casa San Francisco in the Lonely Planet book although it was listed as a top end price hotel when in fact it was the same price as the mid-range hotels. We originally booked 2 nights and loved our large room with a private balcony with a fantastic breakfast included for $65 a night. We especially enjoyed the small pool to help cool off after sight-seeing in and around Granada. The hotel offers a wonderful variety of tours around Granada for very reasonable prices. We took a boat ride around the isletas on Lake Nicaragua (we loved Monkey Island where one of the monkeys actually joined us on board so that we could feed her bananas and grapes). Taxi, Boat, tour guide for 1 1/2 hr. was only $15 @.!! We also took the wonderful Volucan Mombacho tour including a canopy zip-line tour - a MUST See and Do tour if you visit Granada !! We also recommended the hotel to some other Americans that we met on Corn Island and they booked 2 nights at Casa S. F which they raved about as well. We wound up booking our last night again at Casa San Francisco (in a smaller but very nice room for only $45) and had dinner at their newly re-opened restaurant - the meal was the best that we had while in Nicaragua !! We loved the very friendly and pretty much English speaking staff. They were all so warm and helpful. We also loved being enterained in the courtyard by the parrot, Charlie, the parakeet type love birds, the turtle, the iguana and the random dog that came in off the street for a drink of water.!! Next time we hope to book the Annex (with the large pool) and bring some friends from home. Thank you for a great base to enjoy Granada! Gaye and John, Indianapolis

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelingigi
Reviewed 21 October 2008

Nice staff and Clean hotel. Excellent value.