“A good run-of-the-mill hostel - but don´t stay at their sister location The Monkey Hut!”
Review of The Bearded Monkey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Bearded Monkey
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This is a very basic option and therefore you get what you pay for! The double rooms are essentially like living in a garage and the beds aren´t particularly comfy, but it´s clean, there´s a good atmosphere and the staff are helpful and friendly. Seems to cater to a slightly older backpacking clientelle than we'd expected. Nice communal space with hammocks and free internet.

Bear in mind that their sister hostel, the Monkey Hut at Laguna de Apoyo, is considerably less welcoming and it is hard to believe that the two hostels are under the same management.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sjl012

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Ok to start off I am an extreme budget traveler and am used to staying in hole in the wall cheap places but this hostel is something else. Upon entering the room it smelled like two drunk men had a pissing contest all over the walls and I somewhat assume that is what happened. Second, after traveling literally all night the only thing I wanted was a shower-nope! No running water ALL day! Had to go out to restaurants to wash hands, go to the bathroom etc. The staff was terribly rude and had no intention on making this a pleasant stay for anyone. Not a good chill atmosphere as you would be led to believe and the pictures they have up well after you take a look around you will see that the place looks nothing like that! Oh did I mention the bed bugs yet? well yes lots of them.
Take a short walk, ten steps to the left of bearded monkey and stay at La Casita or accross the street at La Libertad. Both are great clean hostels with super great staff and just as cheap as bearded monkey. I would never step foot in that place again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank erica-m-patton
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I stayed here in 2003 .Actually I stayed twice. Maybe three times. I used it as a base between the Corn Island and Pacific surfing jaunts. The staff were friendly and many of them are still friends. The bar was great, always brimming with characters -both back packers and locals- like a Central American Cheers every night. The food was really good.
The pool table was a bonus and the overall atmosphere was 'muy tranquillo'. I spent many an hour reading books and snoozing with a beer in the hammocks which ran around the main court yard.

It didn't seem unclean.Sure, it was basic but it was a hostel .

Matt Dyson

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Matt D
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed here for two nights and we didn't have any problems at all. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was average private. It was fairly clean and didn't have any bedbugs when we were there so maybe it depends what room but we were upstairs. Good chilling in the hammock and has wifi. Overall average stay. No bar or restaurant. Nothing special but good location.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Well, I am just gonna repeat what other have already said in previous comments;
- Horrible service, the staff is definitely unfriendly and unhelpful.
- Bad matress, bedbugs, rooms and utilities are not clean
- No bar & restaurant even though it is advertised in LP and at the entrance door
- Not great atmosphere as you can't bring any alcohol in

I spent 1 night and finally crossed the street to finish my stay in La Libertad, way nicer for just 1 more dollar.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank tony m
Reviewed 27 September 2011

So upon arriving in Granada, I had recommended a different hostel, however as it is low season and i wanted to meet people, I chose the recommendation of LP of this hostel only to be completely disappointed. The dorms are spacious but the beds are very uncomfortable and the rooms are hot. Advertising a bar and a restaurant I waited for the bar to open, well I was waiting a very long time. There is no bar apparently some excuse about the neighbour is the cause and there is no restaurant. Just as well because a fellow traveller saw a huge rat in the kitchen. There is a security guard at night however one night when it was raining he was bailing out the courtyard and another memeber of staff let us just walk right in without checking names on the list. The showers didnt work one night and people were talking bucket baths. a private room was infested with bed bugs and the staff were killing them with knives, and a very unpowerful water sprayer filled with probably something which wouldnt kill bugs of that size. I have seen other hostels deal with bed bugs with proper equipment and outside companies. Shame they got the receptionist with no idea to do it!
Wouldnt recommend this place even if all the other places are empty, its better than not sleeping and getting infested.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank LaColina89
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed in the Bearded Monkey because it was recommeded in our guide book... Reading through reviews on here it seems that's what everyone has made the mistake of doing, so maybe we should have checked on here first!
We stayed in a private room, and although we had no problem with security while we were there, I was quite aware of how flimsy the door/ lock/ windows were (the windows were those ones with slats so you cant actually close them!) I just locked my stuff away in my bag like I did everywhere else, and didn't leave anything on show- but I suppose in retrospect it probably wasn't the safest place.
The shower was outdoors, and basic- but it was so hot that this didn't really matter. The fan in the room was awful so we had some very sweaty nights there. The room was literally just a bed (and the bed wasn't great).
I am not a fussy traveller and I honestly wouldn't have minded ANY of this, if the hostel had a good atmosphere and a good bar, to make it worth it. But when we arrived they said 'we dont have a restaurant or bar', even though there were clearly signs outside suggesting that they did. I would understand if they told us that it was shut for low season, or being renovated or something, but they just told us it didn't exist! Very strange.
The courtyard has hammocks and a nice atmosphere, and computers but the internet is awful and only two of the computers actually work. The whole place could be so much better and I would recommend staying somewhere else, somewhere with a bar and all the things that BM says it has in the guide book!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple