The Bearded Monkey
US$72
US$92
US$90
US$73
La Fortaleza Granada Resort(Granada)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$77
US$155
US$108
US$57
  • Breakfast included
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada(Isletas de Granada)
US$380
US$67
Il Padrino Hotel(Granada)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$44
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights back in late September 2013. At first I wasn't sure what to expect due to the mixed reviews. Ignore all the bad reviews about this place! I had an excellent experience with this place for all 3 nights I stayed there!

The front desk employee, Mauricio, was super helpful upon arrival! He provided us with a lot of info and allowed me to check in early, in which he cleaned the dorm room bed (changing sheets and what not) in front of me.

There were no problems with the bunk bed in the dorm room and there were large lockers beside the beds that were big enough to fit your entire travelers backpack in.
It only cost $5 USD for the night!
I have no idea why some of these reviews are complaining about bed bugs. I had zero problems with that and no one else at the hostel for the entire time i was there had any problems with them. Don't believe what other people are posting. This place is clean and I always saw staff cleaning too.

This hostel offered a lot of tours / activities in which the front desk employee, Mauricio, would be the tour guide for them as well. I signed up for his Island Tour on day one that took you on a boat tour of a bunch of different small Islands around Lake Nicaragua, as well as stopping by some significant ones and seeing wildlife. Mauricio did an excellent job taking care of the entire group and was very knowledgeable. He went the extra mile by showing us extra stuff not a part of the tour, bringing alcohol for everyone, and bringing food for the monkeys to feed in front of the group. This was an excellent tour that cost either $15 or $20, i don't remember.

The next day I signed up to go on a trip to Laguna De Apoyo (I think that's how it is spelled) organized by the hostel. It was a private fresh water lake inside a volcano crater if i remember correctly. Mauricio came along to guide us and look after all of us. the Lake was absolutely beautiful and it wasn't crowded what so ever since it's private. The water was really clear and nice. There were free water-tubes and kayaks for use. It was overall a relaxing day to lounge back with a drink. Mauricio even went out of his way to take us all to a look out point for a breath taking view of the lake, which isn't a part of the trip to begin with.

The last day there Mauricio organized a Canopy (zip lining) tour followed by a stop over at the Masaya markets (a really good street market for crafts) that I did and was fully looked after.

There were more tours / activities offered by the hostel but with not enough time to do them all. Based on everything I did through the hostel, I would recommend all of it!

The atmosphere and vibe at the hostel is great and relaxed too. I met some great travelers at this place. This place doesn't get that wild other than people lounging around the lobby at night with conversations and drinks.
The lobby has free desktop computer access (3 PCs), hammocks around the center garden, and tables + benches around the center garden. There's multiple shared restrooms and showers so you're never waiting. There's open air areas of the hostels were good spots to hang up wet clothing.

This hostel doesn't have a bar or restaurant but it's not needed when you're in close distance to everything and everything in town is cheap!
With a dorm room bed as cheap as $5 USD, don't expect luxury. It's just a comfortable place to stay with a great environment, location, friendly / helpful staff, and excellent tours/activities!

Be sure to say hi to Mauricio at the front desk! He's the most friendly and helpful person local i met in Nicaragua! He made sure that all the guest were taken care of and even invited me to hang out in the evenings. He always went out of his way to help others.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay here, but we wanted to visit the National Laguna. So we went to Bearded Monkey, as they can arrange shuttle bus. They didn't have enough people, so one of the staff, Mauriceo, said to try at the Oasis Hotel, which is also a hostel. Mauriceo also took us on the 365 islands tour. Other agencies do the tour in 3hrs, Mauriceo was not in a hurry! Lol

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We used Lonely Planet guidebook to select this hostel and it was a mistake. There was no restaurant or bar. They had two dorm rooms with old mattresses and three, I believe, individual rooms. I think they just use water to clean the bathrooms which doesn't clean some of the more resilient things.

The one thing that stands out the most is that they have BED BUGS!!!!! Their idea of "fumigating" is spraying some chemical on the mattresses with a spray bottle. Of course, that doesn't solve the issue. Those little things are resilient and takes much more than just spraying they mattresses.

There are other choices, so you should take them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AJ V
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Nice'ish place. Good location. Beds are crap (terrible mattresses) but there are good fans to keep it cool. Advertises a bar and restaurant but I never noticed either while I was there (2 nights - thurs/fri). Owner is helpful for organizing shuttle to wherever or can organize tours. Free water and good wifi.

Downside: The person who was staying with me had their iPhone stolen off their bed... Unusual in a dorm full of other Canadians/Americans/Germans/etc. Definitely something to be aware of.

Overall I wouldn't stay there again because of this incident.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stop at this Hostel at least 4 times in my trip in Central America (gone north, came back to Granada, gone again, came back etc ...).
I came back to the bearded monkey every time because I felt good there. The staff was really nice to me from the beginning and they try to give you as much information as you need for the area. I liked particularly to relax in the big garden-patio and to talk to all the travellers crossing this place. The commons areas are really designed to meet other people and some of my trips started from there packing my stuff to go with somebody I just met.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo