“Would never stay here again”
Review of The Bearded Monkey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Bearded Monkey
Munich, Germany
“Would never stay here again”
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I really didn't like my stay at Bearded Monkey Hostel and I really don't understand why it is so highly recommended in the Lonely Planet. It is so quiet here, no Bar or Restaurant as mentioned which is alright but then they shouldn't say they have one! Our room was ok but the bathrooms were so dirty, the garbage of toilet paper was full all the time! And the kitchen was so awful that I dont wanted to touch these sponges or towels. Also never any soap anywhere. The staff was really not interested in how we're doin' and we took a shuttle from the hostel that arrived 1,5 hours later and they just didn't care. I would never come back to this hostel!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RosaneAlina

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We arrived late at night at the Bearded Monkey after a 10 hour bus ride. Despite having received confirmation from them that we had reserved a private room, there were only dorm beds available. When they showed us to the dorm room, they flicked on the light, not caring at all about waking up people who were sleeping. One of the beds they had for us was dirty. Throughout this entire exchange, they thought our situation was hilarious and just could not stop laughing. There are no locks on the doors, including the main door into the hostel, leaving it very unsecured. The mattresses are exceptionally uncomfortable.

• Stayed January 2014

Travellers are raving about these Granada hotels

Leon, Nicaragua
Reviewed 28 December 2013

It's an ugly, rusty and dirty place. We've stayed there with my friends and I did not caught any bed bugs, but some others in our dorm did. Dorms are spacious, but doors suck, so you will hear people drinking and yelling in the yard. Bathrooms are horrible, I did not find the courage to use the bathroom. Staff is a joke, they don't bother with anything.

Granada has a nice selection of finest hostels and hotels, just go somewhere else and don't bother with this one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Leon, Nicaragua
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We wanted to stay at this hostel because my partner had a great time here 5 years ago. Since then unfortunately, the bar has closed, the kitchen has closed, the staff just don't seem to care, and the beds are crawling with bedbugs!
On the first night we stayed in a dorm. The room was pretty dark but seemed fine. I woke up the next morning, literally covered in over 100 bites! They were all over my arms, legs, back and FACE! I was so upset. We complained to the staff and they moved us to a private room and didn't charge us for my dorm bed... but that night I woke up during the night to be face to face with a huge bug! I squished it and it was clearly a bedbug. We also noticed that the dorm room we were in, was filled that day with a group of people travelling together, including the bed I was using the previous night. There was no fumigation, they didn't even change the mattress... gross.

On a side note, we briefly had one enjoyable night, where some friends we made were jamming and singing. Until the manager joined our group while we jammed, which was fine until he started making our friend uncomfortable with all the compliments he kept giving her, then he went to kiss her while her boyfriend was say right next to her! Our friend had made it clear, well before then that they were together. The managers excuse was that he was 'in love'!
I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Kobe, Japan
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was stolen $100 here. Or, it could be the hostel I stayed night before, but anyway I found the fact in this hostel, Bearded Monkey.

What do you do if you get stolen something? Of course, you call police. But in a very bad manner, they tried to prevent me calling police! Saying, "even if you call police, your money won't be back. Why do you bother? you'll lose your time, and our time as well. Also harm our reputations". This selfish statement made me even more suspicious about them and mad as you can imagine.

Anyway I forced them to call police. All staff was properly pissed off with me. After 2hrs waiting (police this country is... better not to say), finally police came and investigated a bit. I spoke quite a bit of Spanish, still I let a guy staff who spoke OK English translate from Spanish to English. He was well grump, and after police left, he said to me "you should be more serious in front of police". Who was hell less serious than me? I had enough so I told them I wanted to leave immediately, requiring payback. Then the owner started swearing at me "What a bad person!". I wanted to say same thing to her so I did.

Anyway, maybe they are OK in a normal occasion, but as come to the emergency, they'll be totally useless and irresponsible. Definitely not recommendable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank aurora090
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights back in late September 2013. At first I wasn't sure what to expect due to the mixed reviews. Ignore all the bad reviews about this place! I had an excellent experience with this place for all 3 nights I stayed there!

The front desk employee, Mauricio, was super helpful upon arrival! He provided us with a lot of info and allowed me to check in early, in which he cleaned the dorm room bed (changing sheets and what not) in front of me.

There were no problems with the bunk bed in the dorm room and there were large lockers beside the beds that were big enough to fit your entire travelers backpack in.
It only cost $5 USD for the night!
I have no idea why some of these reviews are complaining about bed bugs. I had zero problems with that and no one else at the hostel for the entire time i was there had any problems with them. Don't believe what other people are posting. This place is clean and I always saw staff cleaning too.

This hostel offered a lot of tours / activities in which the front desk employee, Mauricio, would be the tour guide for them as well. I signed up for his Island Tour on day one that took you on a boat tour of a bunch of different small Islands around Lake Nicaragua, as well as stopping by some significant ones and seeing wildlife. Mauricio did an excellent job taking care of the entire group and was very knowledgeable. He went the extra mile by showing us extra stuff not a part of the tour, bringing alcohol for everyone, and bringing food for the monkeys to feed in front of the group. This was an excellent tour that cost either $15 or $20, i don't remember.

The next day I signed up to go on a trip to Laguna De Apoyo (I think that's how it is spelled) organized by the hostel. It was a private fresh water lake inside a volcano crater if i remember correctly. Mauricio came along to guide us and look after all of us. the Lake was absolutely beautiful and it wasn't crowded what so ever since it's private. The water was really clear and nice. There were free water-tubes and kayaks for use. It was overall a relaxing day to lounge back with a drink. Mauricio even went out of his way to take us all to a look out point for a breath taking view of the lake, which isn't a part of the trip to begin with.

The last day there Mauricio organized a Canopy (zip lining) tour followed by a stop over at the Masaya markets (a really good street market for crafts) that I did and was fully looked after.

There were more tours / activities offered by the hostel but with not enough time to do them all. Based on everything I did through the hostel, I would recommend all of it!

The atmosphere and vibe at the hostel is great and relaxed too. I met some great travelers at this place. This place doesn't get that wild other than people lounging around the lobby at night with conversations and drinks.
The lobby has free desktop computer access (3 PCs), hammocks around the center garden, and tables + benches around the center garden. There's multiple shared restrooms and showers so you're never waiting. There's open air areas of the hostels were good spots to hang up wet clothing.

This hostel doesn't have a bar or restaurant but it's not needed when you're in close distance to everything and everything in town is cheap!
With a dorm room bed as cheap as $5 USD, don't expect luxury. It's just a comfortable place to stay with a great environment, location, friendly / helpful staff, and excellent tours/activities!

Be sure to say hi to Mauricio at the front desk! He's the most friendly and helpful person local i met in Nicaragua! He made sure that all the guest were taken care of and even invited me to hang out in the evenings. He always went out of his way to help others.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay here, but we wanted to visit the National Laguna. So we went to Bearded Monkey, as they can arrange shuttle bus. They didn't have enough people, so one of the staff, Mauriceo, said to try at the Oasis Hotel, which is also a hostel. Mauriceo also took us on the 365 islands tour. Other agencies do the tour in 3hrs, Mauriceo was not in a hurry! Lol

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends