“El Club - Some of us like it loud.”
Review of Hotel El Club

Hotel El Club
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Granada
Englewood, New Jersey
“El Club - Some of us like it loud.”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I enjoyed El Club Hotel. It is in central area of Granada, and has a good atmosphere, bar and food. My room was clean and the air conditioner did come in handy. Like everyone says, you might want to reconsider staying someplace else, from Thursday till Monday, if you are not going there to party. That's true. The music, during the parties, is turned way up, and stays on until 1 or 2 AM. I stayed there (January, 2010) for the parties and was not disappointed. It is around the corner from the Bearded Monkey Hostel, which also has a fun bar scene. It is a few blocks from the main square (Kelly's Bar) and has a lot of dining options in the neighborhood. Hotels on the quiet side that I would recommend (for people that want to sleep) might be Casa Vivaldi or Hotel Granada. I used both of their pools, and thought that the people at both of these places were very friendly, as well. There are a lot of very inexpensive rooms for rent (starting at about $10 / night). During my stay, I saw a few of them, and they were not that bad. For a fun bar scene try Casa Bohemia, a few blocks away. Though generally a safe City, use common sense wandering the City at night. Travel in groups, and use of cabs might be recommended.

Stayed January 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Salvador
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I just made a road trip from El Salvador to Costa Rica. The first night I had to stop at this beatiful colonial city. Most hotels were full and I needed a place just to lay my head and depart early next morning.

Things that I didn't like.

1) My bed had a whole in the mattress.
2) They offered to prepair breakfast for me, my wife and parents early, but no one was even awake at 6 am.
3) The hotel is just behind a bar in the same building, so when you wake up next morning you find cigarrete butts laying on the floor, beer spiled, etc.

And the worst off all was that somebody stabbed to tyres from my car that was just outside the hotel. The had no parking available. The man at the front desk suggested that I should look for somebody to look at my vehicle during the night. There was a vigilant at the corner of the street, he didn't offer his services but apparently he was pissed of because I didn't hire him and he is my first suspect of the crime. I said it so to the police. I was delayed 6 hours in my trip trying to find somebody to repair my tyres the last day of the year.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Cuco78
Lucien2803, Owner at Hotel El Club, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
Since August 2010 Hotel El Club has a new management.
The disco parties do not take place anymore in Hotel El Club.
The reception staff speaks Spanish, English, Dutch, German and French.
Breakfast is served as from 07.00 a.m., on request we can serve this earlier.
Cars can be parked in the 24/7 guarded parking space at the Fire Brigade in Granada for USD 2.00 per night.
LA
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Reservations and reception never mentioned the INSANELY loud club 20 feet from the rooms. The walls are trembling as I write this at 3am. No way to sleep and no excuse for not warning us before checking in or accepting our reservation.

Plus, the rooms are a bit run down, security is minimal, the TVs feature mostly static, and the rooms are TINY - bathroom separated by swinging doors, not a real door.

I stayed here in 2004 and 2007 when it was run by a trendy Dutch couple. Looks like the wife took off and the husband is running the place into the ground. The Jello wrestling contest he sponsored tonight is, apparently, what an Expat mid-life crisis look like. (Note: even the contest was poorly run - he managed to screw up women wrestling each other, come on!)

Come here for the nightlife, do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Staying at El CLub was a great experience. The owner went out of his way to help us have a great trip!!!! Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights they have a big party at the bar there and it was a kickin' party!!! The rest of the nights it is very quiet and calm and the bar is not open mon-wed. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 February 2009

When you see their website everything looks great, but when you get there is horrible. Room had no windows, a/c was not working, so could you imagine a room with no windows and a/c not working properly...... horrible.
Staff was not really nice, price is ok but for that price, you can get a nicer place.
They have a club with music until 2 in the morning, which is ok if you want to party, but if you are hoping to sleep, forget about it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank turistaX
Miami
Reviewed 10 February 2009

The place is ok to go party, to have a drink but not to stay, rooms are really small, doesn't have windows, a/c didn't work properly and the staff was not as nice as in other places.
You have to pay cash or they'll charge you 5% more, using credit card, something that i never saw before.

• Liked — bar
  • Disliked — small rooms, no windows
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Mistery_traveler
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 February 2009

We made some changes to our travel plans and have decided to go over to Granada a day earlier. The hotel that we were booked into for our stay while in Granada was full so I called El Club and they had a room for us.

We had El Club arrange airport pickup and it only cost US$30 for the trip for the 2 of us! I have checked a few places and they all charged $60. The taxi was not air-conditioned but it was no problem really. For the return trip, we booked the taxi through El Club again eventhough at this time we were already staying at another hotel.

When we got there, we were pleasantly happy with the place. It's beautifully done and clean. I love the bar and the beautiful courtyard at the reception.

The receptionist is very friendly and nice. We got there before it was time to check-in but the receptionist called house-keeping and within 10 minutes we were ushered to our room. The welcome drink was a very lovely touch to the already great reception we received.

We stayed in a standard room which is big enough for us 2. The bathroom is a little small but clean. If we were staying for more nights, I would choose the bigger rooms.

The room rate includes dinner and breakfast. Dinner is a 3-course fix meal of salad, main course and coffee and for breakfast, you can pick anything from the breakfast menu which we feel is of great value. The wait staff here are very nice and helpful. We got excellent service at the restaurant, bar and hotel.

For New Year's eve, they had a great party. For a cover charge of US$10/person, you get unlimited bar drinks from 10pm - midnight. The bar staff were working endlessly to fill up everyone's drinks and we had a fantastic time here.

I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone who would love to have a good time in a nice friendly setting.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)