Hotel Patio del Malinche
US$73
  • Pool
US$117
US$55
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada(Isletas de Granada)
US$354
  • Breakfast included
US$63
  • Breakfast included
Il Padrino Hotel(Granada)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$51
Hotels.com
US$115
US$106
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfruit platterfrom spainhot waterpedestrian streetlovely hotelrefreshing poolrooms are smallbeautiful courtyardbars and restaurantsdelicious breakfastloved this hotelthe main squarecentral locationcosta ricarocking chairstwo blocksceiling fan
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I can't say more than the previous review which was all true. This is home away from home and won't bust your budget. When you are ready to leave, Lidia will send you on your way with her expert guidance.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2011

While traveling with a friend through Costa Rica and Nicaragua, we had an ongoing debating about whether to stay at bargain hostels/hotels or pay more for higher quality hotels. For our first several nights, we stayed at hostels or cheaper hotels. It was mostly ok, but sleeping was something of a challenge, even after a full day of running around, due to lack of AC in a humid summer + lots of aggressive love from our regular stint of uninvited insect-guests. And since the accommodations weren’t all that great, we found ourselves typically wanting to leave the hostel/hotel soon after awaking.

Now, if you’re a on a tight budget and looking to be a very active traveler, this latter issue isn’t much of an issue at all – you’re not traveling to lounge around a hotel. But sleep is crucial for all, especially if you want to be active. And even for very active travelers, it’s always nice to be able to spend some time just relaxing, if that’s what you’re feeling on any given day.

When planning our trip north from San Juan del Sur to Granada, we decided to kick it up a notch, and we found Hotel Patio del Malinche online and booked it for one night. We were a bit skeptical since it was at the upper end of our budget, but it turned out to be the best decision we made during our entire trip. We ended up staying for three nights and it far exceeded our expectations. There’s so much I could say, so here are some of the highlights.

The proprietors, Lidia and Ramon, were incredibly sweet, hospitable, and very generous from the moment we arrived until we left. When we asked for something – a recommendation for a good restaurant, advice for traveling, or anything pertaining to service at the hotel – we were given their complete attention and care, and they followed up to make sure everything went well. And they responded as if we were friends or cousins – they clearly enjoy what they do, and that makes a huge difference. It sounds cheesy, but they treat the hotel as their home and their customers as their personal guests. I’m not sure whether or not they actually live on the premises, but every time I walked by the lobby, they were sitting at a table nearby, and their attitude was that of a welcoming host, not distant owners looking to make a buck.

Some examples here… When we were thinking about where to go when leaving Grenada, I figured I would ask Lidia for her advice. Instead of just being nice and giving us some quick ideas, she sat down with us for about 20 minutes, brought out her personal maps and guidebooks, and showed us two or three great options that she had recently been to, the kind of info a local would be privy to. We ended up going to one of them (Rincon de la Vieja in Costa Rica) and had a really great time. And when we were leaving, we had to leave the hotel at about 5.30am to catch an early bus. Lidia and Ramon made sure that the staff (which was also uniquely wonderful, see below) prepared fresh fruit juice for us at 5am, prepared and packed up fresh sandwiches for us to take on the road with us, and had a cab waiting to take us to our bus station. One more example: I gave the staff some clothing to launder the afternoon before leaving and several hours later, I was a bit concerned about when they’d return my clothing. Before I was able to go to the front desk or ask anyone on the staff, Lidia emerged from the laundry room and hand delivered the clothing to our room. These are just some of the examples of the impeccable service we experienced, and our entire stay was a total of 3 days! It’s just nothing that I’ve ever experienced, even when staying at more expensive establishments.

Following the lead of Lidia and Ramon, the entire staff at Patio del Malinche was superb. They always greeted us with a pleasant smile, went far beyond the call of duty, and were just consistently wonderful. If we would go to sit by the pool (which was an ideal temperature), the nice fellow behind the bar would immediately come to make sure we had towels. And if we wanted something from the bar, the staff provided it quickly. The breakfasts were really great too.

The size of the hotel is also just right. At approximately 15-20 rooms, it’s bigger than your standard B&B, but much smaller than your average hotel. It offers the intimate feeling of a B&B with the top-quality and professional service of a hotel. The décor and general design of Patio del Malinche are also spot on, and the contrast from Grenada’s noisy and urban streets had this immediately relaxing effect when we would return to the hotel. There was something a bit curious about it even – we’d be walking around town, and then at some point we’d make a quick left and a right and we’d find ourselves in what felt like an alternate universe of quiet and calm. I don’t know what you’d call the design in a formal sense, but it has the open ranch-like feeling of the kind I’ve seen in California. It was very open with extremely high ceilings, and beautiful in a simple and very unassuming kind of way.

Clean. Everything in the hotel was clean, very clean. Ok, now I must stop. This is the end....

Go! Stay! Enjoy!
Viva la Patio del Malinche!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank aeli
Reviewed 29 July 2011

From the outside the hotel may not look like much. However, stepping inside it opens out into a beautiful garden courtyard with hammocks and a small but nice pool. The staff are very friendly and give excellent recommendations for places to eat and things to do in the area. The hotel and rooms are well-kept and clean. The rooms are small and simple, but very nice. There is hot water as well, which is nice. I like the location of the hotel because it is a little bit away from, but within easy walking distance of, the busy tourist section. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank elmead
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My husband and I and another couple stayed here for one night while in Granada, Unfortunately we arrived without a reservation and there was only one night available. The rooms are spotless, the pool area was very charming and the staff was very helpfull. The highlight was the full breakfast which included bottemless refills of cafe con leche.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jesusitadelnorte
Reviewed 8 July 2011

After reading various reviews of the hotels in Granada in Trip Advisor, I opted to stay at the Patio del Maliniche. I have to agree that this was the place to stay. My room was spotless, the breakfast was great, and everyone working at the hotel was very friendly. The hotel was only a couple of minutes from the square or Calle Calzada, yet in was very quiet and peaceful at night. The free wi-fi worked great and the pool and grounds were also immaculate. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Nicaragua.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo