“Nice, small place just one step outside the busy-area”

Hotel Patio del Malinche
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Patio del Malinche was a good choice for a little vacation in the middle of granada. It is located just one street away from the "main drag", where all the restaurants and bars are. It is quiet and clean and has pretty much everything you need.
Our room was a little bit small and we would have expected more, but it was a good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 January 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights and it's a quiet, lovely hotel which reflects the architectual style of Granada. The staff are efficient and breakfast is great. The swimming pool is a good place to relax and sit around after the heat of wandering around Granada.

The location is central and it's very easy to walk to the market or walk to the central square where there's always lots going on. It doesn't have a restaurant but it's very easy and safe to wander around Granada in the evening and there are plenty of places to eat nearbye.

A lovely hotel in a place where there's lots to do ... I thoroughly recommend taking a boat trip on the lake ... monkeys, birds, old fort ... it was great.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2010

This is my fifth stay at the Patio del Malinche. This time it was fr 4 days. I wrote this in my journal after my first stay in February 2009...nothing has changed. It was even better this time because I had my wife with me and she enjoyed Granada and the Malinche as much as I.

February 2009

When Diego stopped in front of the Hotel Patio del Malinche I liked how it looked immediately. It was only three years old but it felt like 300.
Actually the original building is only 250 years old. The walls of the hotel are adobe and one meter thick like most of the buildings in this city. Lidia Teixidor and her husband Ramón Cirera arrived here from Barcelona, Spain in 2004. She is a lawyer and he is an accountant. Married for 24 years they had known each other since she was 16 years old. At 37 and 39 years old respectively they had become bored with life in Spain and decided to try something different. They purchased an old home about 300 meters from the Central Park and began building Hotel Patio del Malinche. They named the hotel after the wild, yellow flowered malinche tree that grows in the center garden. It took Lidia and Ramón one year to complete.

The hotel is first class on a pensionado’s (read: old retired guy) budget. High season rates with breakfast are $87 per night taxes included. If you are a knowledgeable traveler you know that the help can make your trip pleasurable or one where you look somewhere else in the future. From the kitchen help to the receptionist they were more than professional they were like family. Only serving breakfast their presentation, service and food were excellent. The English speaking Nicaraguan staff cared about how I felt and what I thought. The rooms, while simple, were spotless. The sheets were white and if I tried I could have bounced a cordoba (Nicaraguan coin) off of them. They even took note of how I used two pillows in sleeping because I found them exactly the same after they had cleaned the room.
Granada is a wonderful. Like Charleston, South Carolina it is a walking city. Unless you are taking the boat over to Ometepe Island to tour Volcán Concepcion or Volcán Maderas Parque Nacional you can enjoy the city on foot. Being a photographer the city is full of homes with interior gardens, ancient architecture and friendly faces. There was only one area where I felt uncomfortable but not typical of where a tourist would walk. I tend to wander in search of the unusual photograph.

Ken Beedle
Cartago, Costa Rica

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Patio del Malinche is a wonderful, special hotel!! Lida and Ramon, the owners, and all of the staff are incredibly warm, helpful people, and make you feel like you're really at home. It's just a great place. I truly didn't want to leave!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2010

We enjoyed Patio del Malinche so much because we felt that we more or less were a part of the family. We did not experience the high-styled, arrogant, and snobbish atmosphere that we often experience in hotels. Here everything was calm, relaxed, friendly, and as I have said before, we felt as a part of the family.

The breakfast is the best one that we ever have got in a hotel.

The service was very personal, non-snobbish (down to earth), and familiar.

Especially, we paid attention to the fact, that the owner's wife had prepared some sanwiches which were ready for us when we left the hotel 5 o'clock in the morning.

We will, undoubtedly come back to Patio del Malinche, one day.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2010

My new husband and I loved this hotel. We even left our place in San Juan del Sur one night early so that we could stay an extra night before heading home! The rooms are clean and simple. The mojitos are amazing. The owner was incredibly helpful-- really above and beyond. The pool and setting was lovely. We're definitely happy that we stayed here on our honeymoon!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2010

This excellent establishment seems to get nothing but rave reviews, so I'll spare the details and simply say that I concur wholeheartedly with the other 5 stars. I can't think of anything that would have made this spot a more enjoyable location for my wife and I.

I should particularly mention the great staff: the owners were so friendly and helpful it was like having my own personal travel agent. They were full of great recommendations and tips as to what and what not to do. If you're planning a trip to Granada, save yourself some research time and just book a room here--Lidia will hook you up on anything worth doing from there! The owners good cheer must trickle down to the rest of the staff too, as I found them all incredibly charming, very attentive, and always quick to flash a beautiful smile.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple