“Beautiful hotel with tremendous service and ambience”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We were a party of 8 for a family vacation and stayed two nights at Plaza Colon in Granada. From the moment we stepped in the door, the service was terrific. The front desk, bellman, servers at breakfast, bartender, maids -- everyone had a smile on their face and was eager to assist us in any way. Breakfast was a great surprise - choose from a menu and the food was great - far surpassed our expectation. We had rooms with balconies over the central park which made for a fun place to relax and watch the goings on in the very busy park. The pool is small but very quaint in the beautiful courtyard. This hotel will not disappoint and is a real bargain.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 29 August 2011

My daughter and I just returned from a wonderful week in Nicaragua, the last three nights spent in Granada at the Plaza Colon. From our first minute of arrival, we were welcomed by a friendly staff who always did their best to ensure a pleasant stay. The rooms are clean and airconditioned with TV, and provided with free water, mini bar, bathroom amenities, robes and a safe. The only negative side to the room was that we had no viiew. The pool, though small, was clean and refreshing with lounge chairs and pool towels. The included breakfast was delicious and filling. We were offered breakfast early, since we had to leave at 4:20 am on the last day. To our surprise we were offered juice, coffee, toast and fruit to eat, either in the lobby or to carry with us. That was an unexpected surprise. There was free computer usage. The hotel had prearranged the tours we had chosen with Oro Travel, and they went off without a hitch. The location is perfect, right on the Central Plaza. Restaurants were nearby. We couldn't have picked a more perfect place. We hated to leave.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Location, location, location. This hotel is located in the main plaza area of the city. The staff is very professional and they will tend to your needs immediately. Our room had a large shared balcony that overlooked the plaza. The city is quiet at night so you don't get noise in your room. The room has lots of space and the bathrooms are modern and clean. Breakfast was included and the service was in the garden courtyard. I have been to Granada before, so we only spent one night here. If this is your first time spend at least two or more nights so you can explore the area around Granada.

Room Tip: Plaza view second floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2011

we stayed here at the end of our trip to nicaragua and loved it. the building is beautiful and the location was perfect - in the center of the city. the service was excellent and everyone was very helpful. we had an upstairs room with a large terrace that overlooked the center square which was great for relaxing and people watching in the evenings. the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was small but very nice. we'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

On our family trip in July we had 20 family members stay at hotel Granada for 4 nights. Everyone loved the hotels location and beauty, but best of all was the staff! The staff at the Colon are amazing and will make certain that your trip is safe, comfortable, and memorable!!!

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here for 3 days and really enjoyed it. Our room was on the ground floor so was next to the pool. The pool is never that busy and it's really nice to come back for a swim after being out and about.
The hotel only does breakfast (by the pool) the food is good and it is a buffet affair with somebody to make eggs.
The staff were great, there only seemed to be about 2 of them but they were very helpful. Most of the people staying are on a tour but we weren't so they seemed to enjoy arranging our plans! We could have course gone to the many travel agents in town but this was much easier.
As the hotel is situated on the main square it's nice to sit outside with a drink and watch the world go by.
We would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

I have stayed in almost every major Nicaraguan City and always try to book the "best available" property. This is it in Granada.

We selected the Hotel Plaza Colon by looking online and it looked good on TripAdvisor. The photos don’t do it justice, it’s an impeccable renovation of colonial property.

Me, my wife, my son and I booked a room with a balcony that over looked the main plaza and cathedral. I posted some videos up on you tube as well. It was room 204 or 206 I believe. These rooms have flatscreens and air conditioning that actually works. The balconies are HUGE like 15 feet by 15 feet in size and you can simply sit out and look at the goings on without leaving your hotel.

The staff speaks the best English I’ve experienced in Nicaragua (my wife doesn’t speak Spanish) and it was near flawless. Everyone smiled, was friendly, and was super super kid friendly. The pool was crystal clear & clean. The breakfast (included) had 5 choices with a fruit plate, coffee and juice of the day. One day we even got dragonfruit juice.

The wifi was fast and it was free too.

I know a lot of tripadvisor is people complaining – so here’s mine couple:

1.) If you want total silence this hotel will not work. It’s on a busy square and is perfect for those that want luxury in the center of the action. It is NOT perfect for quiet.

2.) The restaurant for dinner/lunch was like an after thought which was disappointing. I wasn’t feeling well one day and I couldn’t even get soup. I had to send my driver to go and fetch some.

I will say that instead of trying to do some cheesy spa service onsite, they refer you out to a place called PURE. The 1 hour massage my wife loved, yoga spa, included lunch for $27. One complaint I do have is they aggressively advertise it for $23 but it's $27 not including tip. Still cheap but be aware of this. The lunch my wife said was amazing too.
If you need a FULL SERVICE gym it's free there for hotel guests and they literally have cardio machines out in a hacienda style courtyard.

These complaints are minor, but I feel legitimate.
In my opinion, there are only (3) hotels in Nicaragua I’ve stayed at with truly “5 star” service: The hotel plaza colon, La Perla in Leon, and Little Corn Beach Bungalows over on Little Corn Island. Now there is a guy with a place called the Park Avenue Villas in San Juan del Sur I’ve heard some good stuff about too.

Anyway…

Inertia Tours Chad…OUT!

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony facing the plaza and cathedral