“Great Hotel in the Heart of Granada”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband spent one night at Hotel Plaza Colony. Make sure to get a room with a balcony overlooking Central Park! The hotel is in the perfect location! We were able to walk everywhere and enjoyed our breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,091)

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here our last night in Granada(we started in Granada, went to San Juan, then back to Granada) and it was the night before the poetry festival, so lots happening and the hotel is a great location right on the square, so central to everything, but very peaceful and quiet inside.

Beautiful, historic hotel, with excellent service. complimentary drink when you arrive. Rooms are very nice and we stayed on the first floor and had our own little patio terrace with table/chairs,that was outside(so open sky), but within the hotel(not on the street), so very quiet and great little perk. The rooms are very comfortable and have nice decor, bedding, small fridge(stocked with mini bar, water and snacks), full cable, a/c, complimentary robes, nice tolieries and large shower.

The hotel also offers complimentary breakfast, but we also had an early flight to catch prior to breakfast, so were very impressed to find out the hotel offers "breakfast to go", so the night before we just let them know the time we were checking out and when we checked out, they had coffee, juice, yogurt, granola and fresh fruit all packed and ready to go:).

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Just was in this town last week. I'm in Mexico right now with a beautiful girl who I will marry but that is another story that is just beginning.
From the hotel Colon overlooking central square you can take horse and buggy rides for $2 around town. The food I ate at some restaurant was deliceous. Chicken beef or fish was the menue with salad and rice. I got the beef and it was tender and especially nice! Normally beef down in central America is rather tuff. There are guys on ice cream bikes and children that follow you around. Not to steal but beg. Not so bad and they are very helpful at getting you around and some speak English. Beware of the adults dressed in tour outfits that follow you around helping carry your bags. They only want $2 or less for their help but it gets to be annoying after a bit. I liked the kids! They were like my friends after a bit.
Volcano's were neat to see. There is a boat trip through the islands that is a must. My diabetic amputee unstable on a walker father did the trip with me. The guys carried him to and from the boat practically. It was great and I bought a dozen mandrines for $0.80 and t shirts were $4 hats wee $2. I liked it there. Everybody seemed poor but happy. There isn't the tourist traps there like in Mexico or even Costa Rica now. I plan on going back!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Perfect Location, perfect way to see Granada. I stayed at the Hotel Plaza Colon
in February for 3 nights with 2 friends. We could not have asked for more from the hotel
in terms of location, service and breakfast. We had originally planned a 4 night stay,
but then decided we wanted to see Ometepe. The concierge put our side trip to Ometepe together very quickly which was not easy as it required cabs and ferries from multiple locations.
We also wanted to stay at an upscale hotel which she was able to secure. We found the hotel
to be very resourceful overall which is very helpful if you are trying to immerse yourself in Granada in a short period of time as well as seeing other areas of interest in the country.

Room Tip: Many people recommend rooms with the front balcony on the Square. Ours were on the second floor (ro...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for two nights at the beginning of a twelve day stay and four nights at the end of our stay. We could only get a balcony room for two of the nights but it was worth packing and re-packing to change rooms. The staff, the rooms, the pool and the delicious breakfasts combined with the setting of the wonderful town of Granada and its bustling square all made for one of the most memorable vacations we have taken. We will hopefully return to Nicaragua one day and you can be sure that Plaza Colon will be at the top of our list of places to stay. Great, friendly, accommodating staff, great location, wonderful breakfast, beautiful rooms. A+

Room Tip: Get a balcony room if you can. If not, the others are still great.
1  Thank Judy F
Reviewed 18 February 2013

A special invite came my way to stay at Plaza Colon in Granada, and I was keen to accept.

Being more used to Granada´s smaller and more intimate hotels, I was somewhat dubious.

But the hotel is very nice. Good service, great breakfastats and lovely rooms. It is also perfectly located on the main square.

My Aunt and Uncle had one of the rooms with a balcony looking out over the sqaure. Whilst the view was divine, they were woken up every morning at about 5am by the very loud bird song and other activities going on in the early morning. Not a major drawback, but something worth considering if you are hoping to wake up at bit later.

All in all I very much enjoyed my two nights in Plaza Colon, and if you are looking for a very good hotel in a very good location, you have a clear option in Plaza Colon.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated by the Central Square. The large veranda is great for people-watching, and the bar has happy hour every day (how convenient!). You can walk to all the best restaurants from the hotel, as well as to shops, churches, and the daily market. The staff are attentive & the breakfast buffet has something for everyone. The room was clean, and comfortable with a large bathroom - the robe provided was an added plus. All around great value and great experience - it's a pleasure to recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple