“exceeds expectations - best hotel in nicaragua! would not stay anywhere else!”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“exceeds expectations - best hotel in nicaragua! would not stay anywhere else!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed here twice in our 10 day vacation. this place was fantastic - beautiful, clean, gorgeous decorations and rooms, lots of room and the best location in town - right centrally with a view of the central park. The service and staff and breakfast included was impeccable and impressive. The pool was nice and the bigger rooms with balcony are so worth it but slightly noisier as they face the central park. I asked my husband to guess how much we were paying a night for this fantastic place and he thought that we would pay 350 or more a night in the USA - but for the incredible friendliness, wonderful rooms, great service, amazing food, included water, fantastic breakfast selection...awesome location centrally...we were surprised that we paid so little....in nicaragua. would not stay anywhere else and would definitely come back here if we are ever in nicaragua. Was difficult to get a room but worth booking for sure and waiting for availability or booking early. The concierge service for tours was excellent. Highly recommend kayaking iselets, the bat caves and volcan massaya, and hiking the cloud forest volcan mombacho- the puma was easy and done in 2hours....just a fantastic trip - welcome drinks and free water, air con, great hot water with good shower pressure. can't say enough good things about this place.

Room Tip: the balcony rooms have great balconies which are so worth it but a bit noisier, the non-balcony roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
portland, or
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Excellent location, beautiful hotel, very large comportable rooms with high ceilings and lots of wood. Small pool. Staff were very helpful and accomodating. Bartender joined in singing some Spanish song one of my fellow travelers learned in grade school.A breakfast buffet was served around the pool and was quite pleasant.
And next door to the hotel is a marvelous coffee shop, called Lily's. I had the largest cappachino I have ever had in my life. It came in a soup bowl and was beautiful.
The hotel is situated on the main plaza and within walking distance from everything. There are horse and buggies in front if you want to take a ride. Inside the hotel is quiet and elegant.
Staff in the business center was very helpful.

Room Tip: We had no problem with noise but some rooms face the plaza and I think could be noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed 2 times - 2 nights each time (about 4 days apart). First we were in a room downstairs (102 I think) and the second time upstairs in 201. We tied to get a balcony room but none were available. While we were their the first time we tried to make a reservation for the second stay and they were full. Talked to the resevation manager (Jo An - not Joan) and he was able to 'move things around' and find us a room. Also, want to point this out (talk about service) - I was having trouble with wi-fi. I was trying to send an e-mail to Jo An and later found him in the busines center. Anyway, in the meantime Carlos the bell boy realized that I was having a problem with the wi fi and he gets the IT lady to the room to set up the router in the room itself so I can get a better signal. Since I had already accomplished what I wanted I did not need it. To me this is what you call going the extra mile. He was also helpful with a restaurant recomendation and having them provide free transport. He also arranged a taxi for a friend that was staying at another hotel.

Then there was Virginia (guest relations). I went to arrange airport transportation, she knew that I was a returning customer, knew the name and room number. Plus she left a welcome note in the room with some choclates.

Many of the staff greeted us by name the second time around and the "welcome back" was very common. This Hotel sure knows how to train the staff. The only thing that baffles me was the first time around we had two queen beds - they only made up one bed after the first night. The other bed, towels, bathroom were all taken care of - just not the second bed and all the extra pillows of both beds were on the second bed???? - did not bother us, so did not say anything.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, plenty of hot water and nice shower with good water pressure. The location is great - right next to the park (square). Breakfast was good with made to order eggs, bacon, fruit, etc. Did not get a chance to take a dip in the pool but looked clean and relaxing.

We were in four different hotels during this trip and this Hotel was by far the best.

1 Thank Kingwood1811
MICGranada, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Colon, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear Amal & Nelum,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I will pass on your appreciation to the rest of our team, feedback like yours makes all the effort well worth it!

I have taken notes about one of the beds in your first room (103) not being properly serviced, my sincere apologies for that, I will take the necessary steps to prevent this from happening again.

As for the internet, we are in the process of placing minirouters in our rooms to offer better WiFi signal for our guests.

Here at the Hotel Plaza Colón we strive everyday to provide the best service and accommodations. We have learned over time -soon it will be 7 years-, that there is always something we can learn to do better and some aspects of our service/facilities that we can improve. Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated!

Hopefully we will see you again someday in Granada! In the meantime, we wish you the best!

Warm regards,

Maria Isabel Canton
General Manager (the IT lady with a cane)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 7 March 2013

After 3 other hotels in Managua and Granada, I can say with certainty this hotel tries harder and far exceeds every other place. The service is with a smile, at once helpful and relevant. I have been here 2 weeks and have one more to go. On such an extended stay you want a/c that works as it should every day, hot water every day, breakfast made to order every day and wi-fi in your room that works every day. When you go to sleep in a bed that is not comfortable or pillows right out of the boarding houses of the last century you wake up and see the smaller then some pools in our own homes, the breakfast that may be a bit limited, etc. But when it is as comfortable as it is at Plaza Colon, you see fresh omelettes being made to order, Carlos the bellman asking if you need anything and meaning it, Victor or Roberto at the front desk ready and able to to assist you, Virginia in guest services happy to recommend a restaurant, a place to visit or more. Finally, the great lady of the hotel, obviously the back-bone of the service to the guest first feeling you have is Maria, the general manager -- forever smiling, helpful and very informative about all things good and that is still a stretch in Granada. She is involved in the community, with kids, improving lives to raise the pride and success of the city's youth. Though she never offered, when asked Maria was full of resources on where I could help out. A local school that needed backpacks, helping me wrangle up 100 Happy meals from McD's when I couldn't articulate it well enough in my own Spanglish. Whether it is for a night, a week or a month -- you are throwing away money and missing an opportunity to meet authentic locals and place to call home while in Nicaragua.

Room Tip: I recommend you stay on the side with rooms 109 to 106 -- no outside street noise and a quaint outsi...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 March 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The location is very good you can walk to the restaurants etc. Service good. Breakfast was good but not great. The pool is nice but rather small so it was a bit crowded. Highly recommendable!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claes71
Ventnor City
Reviewed 3 March 2013

we spent one night in Granada and the hotel was a perfect location. the staff was friendly and helpful. the room was clean, cool and comfortable. there was a festival in town and our room was on side street which was fine because it was a little quieter. breakfast was delicious and the pool refreshing after a hot day!

Room Tip: try to get a room in front overlooking plaza.r
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We spent 5 days in Granada in February. This is a beautiful hotel. The service is the best - the wait staff are so friendly and helpful. Breakfast every morning in the courtyard around the pool - great buffet. Try the pineapple - it is the sweetest I've ever had. Rooms are spacious, nice walk-in shower. Location in front of the square is great. While we were there, Granada was hosting an international poetry event. Every night the square was filled with entertainment. Loved sitting on the front "porch" of the pool watching all the activity.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends