“Luxurious, Clean & Great Breakfast. Amazing stay!”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My only complaint was that we only stayed for one short night! Very clean, especially in NIcaragua! Probably the best hotel i've stayed in Nicaragua, although it was a steeper price in comparison to other hotels, however for me it was worth it. Their evening food service ends around 9 pm however they will serve drinks all evening and were not offended that we brought our on bottles (they offered us glasses and ice). We arrived at 10:00pm already hot and sweaty and were delighted to sit in the courtyard pool all night watching the stars with friendly staff checking on us once in awhile. It's a two story outdoor type hotel with gorgeous greenery and artwork.

The spacious rooms have large beds, a tv, air conditioning & mini fridge (this luxury is rare!) and large marble bathrooms with hot pressures showers. I think our room was close to the ktichen and could hear some noise through our top window but nothing that bothered us too much.

The small breakfast buffet was amazing and is a mix of western and traditional and changes every day. During our stay, staff prepared eggs and traditional cheese however you want it (I like omelettes and fried cheese). Also served gallo pinto (beans & rice), bread, bacon, cereal & fruits, and a few other things, all tasted fresh and delicious. The staff were very attentive and came around with coffee, fresh juice and water.

The area is in a great location, right in front of a park that offer horse ride tours of the city and nearby chruches and many little stands for souvenirs. Didn't get to enjoy the night life or wander too far off other than a horse&buggy tour. Wish we stayed longer!

Room Tip: Room by the pool if you're up all night, room upstairs if you want rest.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed 11 July 2013

so I happen to get here early at 10am from san juan del sur because that's when my van arrives- I ask for early check in- it is very hot and I am on medication for a medical condition. the clerk says no so I come back at 11am and he says no so I come back at 12 and he says no and than at one he still says no even though check out is at 12 and I know he has at least one room to give me. he doesn't let me check in until after 2 pm. they put my luggage in a broom closet and I have to retrieve it and carry it up the steps to my room because they don't help me because I was angry when I could not check in- he has no regard for me or my reasonable request so I am across the street in the park waiting and there are so many sick starving dogs and I wonder what is this rich hotel doing- nothing- making all this money because there is a feeding frenzy on trip advisor about how great it is here- the buffet is not out at 7 am as advertised- the head buffet guy controls the coffee and would only give me one cup- why? the bacon is not cooked properly- most food is cold not hot- the computer center guy is put out because I use the computer- not helpful-to be fair the facility is nice and the housekeeping dept. keeps it clean and a female staff did help me when I was leaving to check on where was my late shuttle van ride.

Room Tip: don't stay here if you are a dog lover
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank surferboyVA
MICGranada, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Colon, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Guest and Readers,

At Hotel Plaza Colón, our main objective is to provide the best possible experience for our guests while they stay with us. We work hard everyday to do so and when we fail to do it the first time around –because sometimes this does happen-, we are always ready to recognize it, find the best resolution for our guests and adjust our operational systems and communications to prevent the same mistakes from happening again.

With this particular Guest, our only mistake was not being able to check him in early without notice, and as Roberto (Front Desk) expressed to the Guest, we were very sorry about that, but there are some circumstances that we cannot control:

1. The room we had reserved for him had been occupied the night before and it was vacated until after 12:30PM (even though we phoned the previous guests a couple of times to remind them that check-out is at 12:00PM). We honor our check-in/check-out times, this means we will not ask a guest to leave earlier than 12PM and we do everything in our power to have the rooms ready at 2PM, if we can’t have your room ready at 2PM, we will make it up to you, always.
2. The Hotel was completely booked for those days and given that we only have 27 rooms, 3 different types of room and all guests have different check-in and check-out dates, we could not make any movement of rooms that would accommodate this guest for the 3 days he was staying without creating a domino effect in all of our other reservations.

These reasons were explained to the Guest and his room was ready right before 2PM. He came back to the Hotel to check-in past 2PM. I wish he had let us know he was feeling sick and we would have offered some special food or beverage to try and make him feel better since we could not check him in immediately.

I would advise to any future guests that would like us to guarantee an early check-in, to let us know ahead of time, more time gives us more flexibility to accommodate you, and we are always happy to.

Now, I should make some important observations regarding the Guest’s comments:

1. The luggage closet is used to store our guests’ luggage only. There have not been and will never be brooms or anything else besides luggage in that closet.
2. Carlos, our bellboy (and the star of the Plaza Colón team), offered to help with the Guest’s bags, but the Guest strongly refused.
3. I come personally every day before 7AM to make sure everything is ready to go with the breakfast buffet. Only one day of his stay the Guest came down from his room at 6AM (not 7AM) and he was offered coffee, which he took up to his room. The Breakfast buffet was ready at 7AM sharp for the 3 days of his stay… I was on the premises those 3 days and am positive of that.
4. Our Breakfast service includes unlimited Premium Nicaraguan Coffee.
5. Joan, “the computer guy”, who is always at the business center and is also our reservations manager, helped him personally when the Guest could not find the “@” symbol in the keyboard. Keyboards are in Spanish in our Business Center.

And finally, Hotel Plaza Colón is a socially responsible business; we are convinced that our business will be better ONLY if our community is better. That is why we sponsor an Environmental Education Program in Escuela Carlos A. Bravo with 1,000 students (2013 & 2014), we sponsored the same program in Escuela Pedro Joaquin Chamorro with +300 students from 2009-2012; we led the creation and launching of the first Campaign Against Sexual Exploitation of Children in Granada (2011) -we are still an active part of this ongoing effort; we constantly contribute with many different causes to benefit our community; one of them being Casa Lupita, a health clinic for stray dogs and cats, which we have aided not only financially, but by catching stray dogs and cats and bringing them to the clinic so they can be neutered, brought back to health and given adoptive homes.

We do not advertise these activities amongst our guests since that is not our motivation, but I thought it necessary for this review.

Again, I would like to apologize to this Guest for not having been able to accommodate him for an early check-in; it seems this tainted the rest of his experience with us. Please, feel free to contact me at mcanton at hotelplazacolon dot com should you consider giving us a second chance and we will be happy to make it up to you.

Best regards,

Maria Isabel Canton

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Granada is our stopover on our way to SJDS since our flight gets into Managua so late, so unfortunately we only stayed one night. The rooms and en suite bathrooms are very nice. The lobby and pool area and beautiful, clean, and charming. The staff is very helpful. THE BREAKFAST IS AMAZING!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This was a very pleasant stay for two nights while in the beautiful city of Granada. The location is perfect, right by the busy park area and a very short walk to night life and lots of great restaurants. The hotel staff is excellent, helpful, and friendly. The breakfast they put on changes daily and is fresh and wonderful. This stay was a highlight in our visit to the beautiful country of Nicaragua!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Loved that our room wasn't directly around the courtyard pool- Room 201. How can a city be so busy and noisy and it be perfectly quiet in the middle of the hotel. The AC took only 2 minutes to turn our room into a fridge- ahhhh. We found that we rarely used it except for a bit after we returned from a hot day of exploring. We followed the recommendations the staff made for eating and loved each meal. Although I speak Spanish, you wouldn't need to be because their English was totally understandable. Linens are soft, white, clean and luxurious. The room was much larger than the photos. They refilled our water bottles for us each morning as we set out. Breakfast was "typical" with gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, bacon, chorizo, plantains maduro, French toast, toast, pancakes (although I'd skip those) and amazing homemade granola which was worth seconds. Fresh fruit juice, coffee and even a large selection of herbal teas were available too to wash down the mounds of fresh cut up fruit. The variety of the buffet makes staying here three days much more fun. The pool is refreshing and in the shade (and part in the sun for those wanting to tan) for most of the day. We will come back over and over again. This is certainly worth every dollar and we loved the free spa membership at Pure that came with it. I was able to get an hour massage for $12 and comparable to anything I get back home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We spent 4 nights here with our 2 young children (6 yrs old and 7 months old). The hotel was very helpful with the children and a great place to stay. We stayed in the suite and the room was huge. It was great having the pool and being able to take a swim in the afternoon. We highly recommend this place to families.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, ask for the suite... you will be happy with all of the space!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We just stayed at Hotel Plaza Colon and loved it! The rooms were very clean and comfortable and we loved the pool and the balcony overlooking the plaza. The staff were very friendly, efficient and professional.A big thanks to the guys overseeing the breakfast in the morning, who even brought nocatamals for me and my husband and they weren't even on the menu!! The hotel is right in the middle of the city, so it's great for walking around to see the colonial buildings and near all of the great restaurants. We enjoyed sitting at "El Bar" and people watching in the early evening.The complimentary breakfast was wonderful and parking our rental car was easy. The Wifi was a little spotty, but they did have it. While we didn't use it, they do have access to a nearby gym, which is rare in Nicaragua. This was our second time staying in Granada, but the first time at Plaza Colon and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple