“Wonderful hotel with colonial charm”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Plaza Colon for 3 nights over Christmas and our stay was quite pleasant. The staff was always super helpful. They had a chorus group on Christmas Eve and served cookies and eggnog of course with the famous Flor de Cana Ron. The pool is small but great for a dip after walking or touring around. The hotel also organized transportation from the airport with Favio, Servico de Viajes Expreso. Best rates, better than regular taxi, $35 from the airport. We also organized a day tour with them to Pueblos Blancos and the volcano and to our next destination.
Granada is a must see in Nicaragua and the folks at Hotel Plaza Colon made it great.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 December 2013

2nd visit in 3 years and would love to visit again and stay longer. The amenities and beauty are only surpassed by the friendly staff . Always going above and beyond to meet our needs and wants. The room, the pool, the courtyard with the wine-bottle Christmas tree and entire property are stunningly gorgeous and centrally located in Granada. A short walk from anywhere you'd like to go if you have to leave this property. Oh, and the Macua was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Plaza Colon was our best introduction to Nicaragua! Our room was on the second floor over looking the plaza. The room was spacious with a balcony with rocking chairs (great for people watching!). The hotel arranged a private tour of the islands - great scenery, beautiful homes and monkeys!

The location is right across the catedral, close to good restaurants and shopping. This is where we first experienced the gracious and friendly nature of the Nicaraguan people. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us and make us comfortable from moving tables for us to giving us tips on how to eat some of the local fruit.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on four different occasions over the past several years, following a week in Chinandega where our arrangements in Chinandega did not include a private room or bath, no hot water, nor air conditioning, so you could understand why we were instantly spoiled at the Plaza Colon. Here we feel clean, cool and relaxed and the staff does everything it can to make our stay enjoyable. The point is that such amenities and elegance in hotels in this country are few and far between. This stay was for three nights and we had a balcony room overlooking the park. It is always a pleasure to watch the morning activities unfold in the park from our balcony in the morning and the park being put to bed at night. We were there during the week following La Purisima, but still there are usually fireworks, parades and other celebrations at this time of the year. The breakfast is great with traditional Nica food like Gallo Pinto in addition to standard breakfast fare. I had never eaten passion fruit before....they are akin to what we called "may-pops" in Georgia, USA but we never ate them because we either threw them at each other or stomped them to make the pop. I asked the eggs-to-order cook if they would be having Nacatamals the next morning and said they would not. We were surprised the next morning to be served Nacatamales. Maria Isabel Canton is always a pleasure to speak with and Virginia set up our return taxi ride to the airport in Managua along with a prepared breakfast to go since we had to leave a 5 a.m. Carlos, Victor and all the staff are most gracious and helpful. The rooms and baths are spacious and very comfortable. It is a great location to navigate from to any point in Granada. Great for English speaking travelers. I see the Hotel Plaza Colon is ranked #3 in Granada. It may not be the highest ranked, but it certainly should be ranked the "Finest" hotel in Granada.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlooking the park are great for people watching as well as observing and learning...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed three nights, and I loved the place. Awesome breakfast, and the swimming pool is stunning. The location is unbeatable, since it is in front of the main square. Very big rooms. The receptionist and employees are super well trained and they know how to treat guests.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pepsimax25
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I spent three nights here, as my first stop in Nicaragua. The location is wonderful, right next to the main square, and a very easy place from which to navigate. The staff is very friendly and helpful, I espeically enjoyed talking with the breakfast staff. They all spoke English, but appreciated and/or humored my attempt to converse in Spanish! (sidenote: I would reccomend brushing up on your Spanish before travelling to Nicaragua. While not completely neccesary, it certainly made travel easier and more comfortable). The bed in the room is very comfortable, and the use of a small fridge was a nice benefit. The bathroom and sitting area out back were also clean and large. The bar in the hotel is reasonably priced and the views from the terrace cannot be beat. My only complaint about the hotel is that we had a room on the first level and it got very loud at breakfast time. You could hear all of the dishes being set up and cleared, as well as hearing others come and go. It wasn't enough to make me not want to visit here again, but if you had the option to stay upstairs, I think your sleep quality would be better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DCMcG
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed here for one night on my way out of Nicaragua after departing the Jicaro Eco-lodge. The hotel is right on the main square in Granada. The staff were friendly and helpful, bed comfy, drinks at the bar and porch excellent and had a great courtyard pool. My room had a great balcony overlooking the square. The only downside would be they probably could stand to re-grout or re-tile the shower floor - it was past its prime. But otherwise it was great and considered to be by all we spoke to "the best hotel in Granada".

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SunSeekerMA
MICGranada, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Colon, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, even if it was a short one!

Your observation could not be more accurate; we had noted earlier this year that the balcony room bathroom floors needed re-tiling! So we proceeded to order an upgraded tile that was supposed to arrive on August, so we could replace the floors on September/October (our low season). Unfortunately for us, our provider delayed our order and we've been told we will be getting the new tile in the middle of high season, which means that we will be replacing it as soon as the rooms become available again!

As I am the one that handles the renovations and upgrades, I personally apologize for not having foreseen a possible delay with the new provider, but I've learned my lesson!!! Our future guests can rest assured that I will take care of the matter as soon as it is possible and will not be making the same mistake again.

Have a great Holiday Season!

Maria Isabel Canton