“Best Location, wonderful balcony, fantasic service - felt like home.”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
cleveland
“Best Location, wonderful balcony, fantasic service - felt like home.”
Reviewed 13 April 2009

You cannot beat sitting on the huge beautiful balcony overlooking the park and watching the people below with a nice cold drink from the in-room refrigerator. If I was to ever come back to Granada, I would stay at the same hotel and request a second floor room overlooking the park. What a relaxing experience.

Breakfast was great. When they have large groups it is a buffet, with scrambled eggs, rice, bacon, cereal , yogurt, fresh fruits, croissants, fresh juices, tea, coffee. When it is slow, they cook your breakfast to order. Try the salsa on the eggs, delicious!

Swimming pool area is very clean and charming. Not huge, but just perfect. Located in an inside courtyard. Great for relaxing, reading, and sunning. You can find shade also, if you want it. Towels provided.

The staff here is to be commended. I booked directly through the hotel and the reponse was quick and price exactly as stated in our emails. Freddy and Carlos are absolutely the friendliest, most helpful I have had in a hotel of any size and in any country I have visited. They always greeted us with a smile, and offered many suggestions as far as things to do and see. They offered towels to take along on our isleta tour with out us having to ask for them. I loved sharing with them the differences and similarities of our countries and hearing their views and questions. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home. I will miss them, the hotel, and the wonderful people of Granada.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Turkish first
cody wyoming
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Best hotel in Nicaragua in my opinion. Clean, hot water, beautiful (I mean Beautiful!) hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. First class treatment all the way. The only problem we had was with the cafe. The woman who ran the cafe during the day was rude and ripped everyone off with exchange rates!! I saw another couple get on to her also. I tried to talk to her about my change and she became very mean. The next time I ate at the cafe, I became violently ill. I ended up saying "lo siento" just to feel safe! This manager and the man with her appeared to be very unsafe when complained about.

• Stayed March 2009
Maryland
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We couldn't have had a better stay. The hotel was ideally located and we especially enjoyed our balcony room overlooking the Central Plaza.

The staff were so friendly and willing to go out of the way to provide anything you might need --- especially Carlos.

We will definitely look to return to Plaza Colon in the futre and highly recommend it to all.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 22 February 2009

The Hotel Plaza Colon was perfect. Our room was well appointed and quiet. The staff was incredibly professional and went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. The pool area is clean and relaxing. The breakfast included with the room was underwhelming; however, it was still a great value for our money - we felt like we should be paying much more. The hotel is located directly in front of the central park, across from the Cathedral - a great central location for exploring Granada.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Hotel Plaza Colon was the perfect place to stay in Granada. It's located across the street from the beautiful parque central and just a short walk from the main drag. The hotel itself boasts beautiful rooms. I hope you're fortunate enough to get a room with a balcony overlooking the street and parque below. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Liked — location location location + beautiful accomodations
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelmoresitless
Vancouver
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Plaza Colon is a beautifully appointed charming hotel. We found the staff to be wonderfully accommodating and helpful. Although the room we had reserved was unavailable when we first arrived, the staff went out of there way to make it up to us. Eventually we got a lovely room with a large patio overlooking the plaza. I couldn't imagine a better place to stay in Granada!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 February 2009

The staff was very friendly, professional, and attentive. The facilities were spotless clean, the room was large and comfortable (we stayed in the least expensive option), and the breakfast was great! (I won't usually touch a free hotel breakfast.)

I was having trouble getting a hotel reservation booked for our next hotel (in Ometepe) and one of the CS Agents at Plaza Colon was nice enough to make a call on my behalf to book my room (certainly above and beyond call of duty, and my expectations).

The location of Plaza Colon, right on the main plaza, was perfect for us. We enjoyed the quiet courtyard and the pool. The last night we were there, we did hear some dance music (from a neighboring building) but we simply turned on the bathroom fan and no longer heard anything.

The staff was very approachable, and offered assistance with directions and taxi service several times. We felt more like friends than customers. I will certainly return to Hotel Plaza Colon if my travels take me back to Granada.

• Liked — The clean, roomy facilities and the friendly staff.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank airlinepro