“Balcony, Balcony, Balcony”

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 May 2009

I took all the reviewers advice and reserved a balcony room for 4 nights, with my wife and 2 boys (10 and 13). My kids loved the balcony, they fought for the rocking chairs to hang out in at the end of the day and after breakfast. You can watch all the action unfold in the central park across the street.

We used this hotel as a base to explore Granada and the surrounding area. It was always great to return to the hotel for a quick dip in the pool and then a beer or soda on the balcony. The hotel is very convenient to "gringo road" with lots of restaurants. My kids favorite was Mona Lisa Pizza (thin crust).

Rooms are large and comfy with the all important "good airconditioning" and water pressure. I highly recommend staying here, and spend the extra for a balcony room!!! This is a high price hotel by Nicaragua standards, but better than a similarly priced hotel in the US. The room bottled water was pricey so buy a gallon jug around the corner at the liquor store or market.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 May 2009

This was one of my favorite hotels of the trip! Everything was first
class, and we had a huge room, with a huge bed, and had a huge balcony
that looked right over the main square. The room has a small shower and
a small fridge (which we had to figure out where to plug in ourselves),
but it was so nice and open. And on the balcony, you have two rocking
chairs where you can just sit and watch the people go by, or read, or
whatever.

In the morning, they serve breakfast, which was full of fruit, eggs,
etc, and was really tastey, and just what we needed to start our day.
The staff all spoke decent English, and the hotel is right on the main
square, and nearby the main market, and the main restaurant row area.
Great hotel, in a great location!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank destinationsomewhere
Reviewed 13 April 2009

You cannot beat sitting on the huge beautiful balcony overlooking the park and watching the people below with a nice cold drink from the in-room refrigerator. If I was to ever come back to Granada, I would stay at the same hotel and request a second floor room overlooking the park. What a relaxing experience.

Breakfast was great. When they have large groups it is a buffet, with scrambled eggs, rice, bacon, cereal , yogurt, fresh fruits, croissants, fresh juices, tea, coffee. When it is slow, they cook your breakfast to order. Try the salsa on the eggs, delicious!

Swimming pool area is very clean and charming. Not huge, but just perfect. Located in an inside courtyard. Great for relaxing, reading, and sunning. You can find shade also, if you want it. Towels provided.

The staff here is to be commended. I booked directly through the hotel and the reponse was quick and price exactly as stated in our emails. Freddy and Carlos are absolutely the friendliest, most helpful I have had in a hotel of any size and in any country I have visited. They always greeted us with a smile, and offered many suggestions as far as things to do and see. They offered towels to take along on our isleta tour with out us having to ask for them. I loved sharing with them the differences and similarities of our countries and hearing their views and questions. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home. I will miss them, the hotel, and the wonderful people of Granada.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Best hotel in Nicaragua in my opinion. Clean, hot water, beautiful (I mean Beautiful!) hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. First class treatment all the way. The only problem we had was with the cafe. The woman who ran the cafe during the day was rude and ripped everyone off with exchange rates!! I saw another couple get on to her also. I tried to talk to her about my change and she became very mean. The next time I ate at the cafe, I became violently ill. I ended up saying "lo siento" just to feel safe! This manager and the man with her appeared to be very unsafe when complained about.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We couldn't have had a better stay. The hotel was ideally located and we especially enjoyed our balcony room overlooking the Central Plaza.

The staff were so friendly and willing to go out of the way to provide anything you might need --- especially Carlos.

We will definitely look to return to Plaza Colon in the futre and highly recommend it to all.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2009

The Hotel Plaza Colon was perfect. Our room was well appointed and quiet. The staff was incredibly professional and went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. The pool area is clean and relaxing. The breakfast included with the room was underwhelming; however, it was still a great value for our money - we felt like we should be paying much more. The hotel is located directly in front of the central park, across from the Cathedral - a great central location for exploring Granada.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Hotel Plaza Colon was the perfect place to stay in Granada. It's located across the street from the beautiful parque central and just a short walk from the main drag. The hotel itself boasts beautiful rooms. I hope you're fortunate enough to get a room with a balcony overlooking the street and parque below. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travelmoresitless