“We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Granada”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Granada”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Plaza Colon. We were delighted with every aspect of the hotel including location, quality of the room (it is well worth paying the extra for a room with balcony overlooking the central square), the facilities inc pool and the service.

Note that there is no restaurant at the hotel but there is a good choice of, at least, 4-5 good restaurants within 10 minutes walk.

As keen wine drinkers we were also pleased to have located right next door a very good wine bar which allowed us to either have wine on our room balcony (for an additional cost) or on the terrace area at the front of the building.

We would not consider staying anywhere else in Granada and this hotel is one of our two prefered hotels in all of Central America to date.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Turkish first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My partner booked this hotel for our 1 night stay in Granada. (he had stayed there previously and now wanted to share it with me)
Besides a HUGE room and gorgeous pool open area where we had a lovely complementary breakfast the staff were always pleasant and helpful.
It didn't end there. Later, when I was in Managua I discovered I had left a jacket at the hotel.
I e-mailed them and told them that I would try to secure UPS or FedEx to get it (that way I could pay for the pickup from home {Canada}). When I found out FedEx wanted $60.00 I almost said forget it. I emailed the hotel to ask if they could let me know how much it would be to send it via regular post.
Maria, contacted me and said that it would be her pleasure to return it gratis. I was flabbergasted.
The jacket arrived today. They have absolutely OUTSTANDING service standards.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We traveled to Granada, Nicaragua last July and checked out several hotels before choosing Hotel Plaza Colon. What immediately drew us was the location and the friendly reception we received when inquiring. The price of our rooms was very reasonable as well. We rented two rooms since we had four adults and four children. The rooms were comfortable, roomy, air condiioned, and accessible to the pool. The morning breakfast was very acommodating. Joan Pacheco was the front desk manager during most of the time we were there (3 days/2nights). He actually influenced us to choose the hotel because of his helpful attitude. Another person working the front area, Bosco Morales, couldn't seem to do enough for us. They directed us to the best restaurants, the best sights to see (and there are many charming areas in the city), and the most convenient jaunts with small children. The frist night they recommended a close-by restaurant where we could get steaks. Four of us had beautiful filets that only cost $13.50 each. Afterwards walked the mall, had ice cream and saw street entertainment. There were lots of friendly people. One thing impressed me was that the city is safe zone. I asked Joan if it was safe to walk around the area. He replied yes. I then asked if there was any place we should avoid for safety reasons. His answer was no. That's amazing for a city this size with a number of poor people at hand. The hotel, the charming city and the people made our trip simply wonderful. I would definitely stay at the Plaza Colon if returning to Granada. Hopefully it will be soon.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We spent a total of 4 nights at the Plaza Colon. First off, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. They were helpful, had good recommendations for restaurants, and made you feel at home. The property itself is directly on the Plaza Colon, which is the small park in the center of colonial Granada. Do ask beforehand to get a balcony room. These balconies, with small tables and rocking chairs, face out onto the life that is the Parque Central and make a morning breakfast so much more fun. The pool is a small, very refreshing treat for Granada's humid weather. There is a gated parking lot in the back with a 24 hour guard for $5 per night which makes it very safe for your rental car, just make sure you get a payment voucher for your last night there to give to the guard (I missed this the first time and it caused some confusion). Breakfast is included, and it is nice to eat on the balcony, though one day you should try Kathy's Waffle House and don't miss talking to the parrots inside. Granada, and Nicaragua in general, is best suited for people that are comfortable with some sense of adventure. This is not the 4 seasons you will be staying at. But it is a lovely, small, very friendly and beautifully maintained Spanish Colonial house converted to a lovely hotel. Masaya and Mombacho are both about 30 minutes away.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My husband and I were looking for an adventurous vacation, so we chose Nicaragua. When we booked the Hotel Plaza Colon, we weren't sure what to expect - the pictures looked amazing, but you never know. When we arrived from our long day of traveling, we were immediately happy with our decision:

1. Cleanliness
Very clean - not just in the rooms - the entire hotel. The pool was a little green for a day or two, but they cleaned it up pretty quickly.

2. Location
Can't pick a better location - we were right in the Central Park area, which was fun at all times of day or night. It is located in the center of all sightseeing, food, and nightlife.

3. Rooms
Nice, spacious, clean. Air conditioning was nice and cold; lots of hot water.

4. Service
Great staff - especially loved Freddy and Carlos - they could help with practically anything and provided excellent recommendations for meals, tours, and directions. ONE negative: we had a bag of food and candy that we brought into our rooms - I think the maids got hungry, because when we returned from a day of traveling, all of our candy was gone (two bags of Peanut M&Ms, and a HUGE bag of Starburst! We weren't too upset, and then didn't touch anything else of ours - so maybe they were just hungry :)

5. Value
We got reservations at this hotel as a package deal. For airfare, 7 nights (breakfast included), and a car rental, we paid $1600 (fees included - for two people - NOT person!!!!)!!! I think we got a GREAT deal and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Maria_Isabel, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Colon, responded to this review, 21 July 2009
Unfortunately, we did not learn about this situation until the review was published. We appreciate all of the comments; good and bad (the good ones make all the effort worth it and the bad ones let us know what we need to correct).

If the guest had let us know immediately about the problem, we would have offered immediate compensation; we have already contacted the guest to offer a fair compensation since it is our goal to have 100% satisfied guests and we do everything that is in our hands to achieve it.

We are aware of the responsibility we have as a Hotel and if one employee makes a mistake or does the wrong thing we will do everything possible to make up for it for the guest and to prevent it from happening again.

Warm regards,

Maria Isabel Canton
Hotel Plaza Colon
boca raton, florida
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My husbands family lives in Nicaragua, but we wanted to stay someplace else. My husband found this hotel and I looked a pictures of it and started to get excited. Our flight was delayed 3 hours in Miami, so by the time we finally arrived to the hotel, we were exhauseted. But we had to look around and see the place. It was so beautiful and the rooms were nice and spacious. The service was wonderful. They took care of everthing we needed. The breakfast was so good, we were full for most of the day after eating. They have a park across the steet (Central Park) and there is always something going on. There is so much to see there with all the history. I always felt safe at the hotel. Even though there were things going on in the park across the street, you would never know it when you came into the hotel. My husband, 10yr old daughter and myself all agree we will definitly stay there next time we go. There is no dought about it! Thanks to the great staff there and the beautiful hotel, we had a great time!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
los angeles
Reviewed 8 July 2009

perfect central location, huge rooms, fantastic colonial style floors anfd furniture, nice breakfast, and unusually quiet in the center by the pool, very peaceful place to rest after a day spent exploring, and a perfect place to recharge before going out, great service, great price

Stayed May 2009, travelled on business