“When Considering a Hotel in Granada, Look No Further Than Hotel Plaza Colon”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“When Considering a Hotel in Granada, Look No Further Than Hotel Plaza Colon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

Let me start the review by stating that this was our first trip to Nicaragua. My wife and I were traveling with two other couples, age range from 50-60. We spent 10 days in Nicaragua, with three of them in Granada. I found Hotel Plaza Colon by reading the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and all who rated this hotel as excellent were right on target.

I had emailed Hotel Plaza Colon manager Maria Isabel Canton (absolutel a first class lady and totally fluent in English) in advance of our trip and requested three balcony rooms overlooking the Central Park. My request was granted.

Check in was almost too easy. They were expecting us. We quickly filled out the necessary information on the hotel registration form and they grabbed our bags and whisked us to our beautiful rooms. Why the almost too easy registration? As soon as I opened the door to my room, there were six staffers, including Maria, in the room with a birthday cake singing happy birthday to me. Wow! They had me from that moment on!

The room was very spacious. The bathroom, as others have pointed out, is just a bit small, but I do not spent much time in the bathroom, so this was not even a factor to my wife and I. The air conditioner worked great, as did the plasma screen television. The bed was hard, but nothing unlike most of the hotels we have encountered in Latin America and Mexico. The rear door to our second floor room opened up into a huge balcony, directly overlooking Centra Park and the horse draw carriages. When I say huge, I am talking 10 feet deep by 20 feet wide. The balcony had rocking chairs and table for our group to enjoy wine, Flor de Cana rum and great Nicaraguan cigars.

There is a pool in the open air courtyard that is so clean, when we viewed it from the 2nd floor, we thought it was empty. Some have commented that they thought the pool was small. If you are looking for an Olympic sized pool, yes, it is small, but if you are looking for a relaxing respite after a day on the town, not small in the least. Maria explained that the hotel was converted from an old, historic house, owned by a very wealthy family. They did not want to ruin the architecture by knocking down walls to create a massive pool. It is perfect for our purposes. Nice loungers, with large beach style towels, line the pool.

A buffet breakfast was served each morning with natural fruit juices and excellent Nicaraguan coffee.

Special thanks to Carlos the bell hop and his side kick (forgive me for I forgot his name), but he is the one with the ever-present smile. They could not do enough for us. This was not a fake interest in our well-bring, but absolutely genuine.

When staying at the Hotel Plaza Colon, I would highly recommend the following:

1. A carriage ride with Javier, the owner/driver of the #21 carriage. A true gentleman who takes excellent care of his horses and has been doing this for 15 years.

2. A shoe shine from a nice little old man named Julio. You will see him if you obtain the balcony rooms as the first shoe shine person who is right dead center on the square in front of the hotel. Bring some shoes, as this craftsman will bring them back to life with a polish and shine and some mild repair for 50 cents. Needless to say, the tip was larger than the price of the shine.

3. A boat tour of Lake Nicaragua with Ricardo Noguera. Ricardo lived in the states for many years and can hook you up for some fishing or a nice boat tour in a 15 seat canopy boat, providing water, beer, rum, cokes, whatever you want. He can be reached at [--].

I will allow Maria to recommend some of the restaurants we enjoyed, as all were right on target as well as any other advice we needed.

In summary, I would go back to Hotel Plaza Colon in a second. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we would have preferred to stay longer. The rooms were outstanding and the service was excellent. Maria scans the reviews on Trip Advisor to make sure the hotel continues to live up to its excellent ratings.

Thank you Hotel Plaza Colon for an outstanding three days.

Gary and Susan
worldwideangling@aol.com

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DocfromAtlanta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Turkish first
LiveLaughLove7
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

All I can say is "AMAZING"!! The hotel is wonderful! it is perfectly located within the city. Walking distance to almost everything (bars, restaurants, clubs, etc). They sever a complimentary breakfast (very good!!).

The hotel is haunted. I know many people will not believe this but at 5am in the morning our shower turned on and water ran for about 15 minutes after realizing that everyone was in bed. it was very spooky but yet exciting. You can hear footsteps at times especially when the hotel is empty (which happened on my last night). I did not see anything with my own eyes, but certainly can experience some spooky activity. Comments from their employees also confirmed my suspicion of the place being haunted and not my mind playing tricks. The employees have confirmed that they also heard and hear at times footsteps on the top floors when the hotel is empty. Also other guests have experienced their bathroom doors close and open. If you are into thriller experience it's a must. I loved it and would definitely stay there.

The Hotel is beautiful and EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!

• Stayed September 2009
KarenandScott
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

Loved the location and the balcony was heavenly ... the room was large ...the bathroom was not ... but the bed was hard as a rock. Yet, we would return here in a heartbeat because of the charming location, room size and ambience

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

We had a room with a Balcony overlooking the square, there was a problem with the original double room we had booked but they gave us a king room at a discounted rate. The service was good and friendly and we had no problem checking out at 3 in the morning to catch our flight. The location is great, I thought being on the square it might be a bit noisy at night but it was fine.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

Staying at the Hotel Plaza Colon was a very pleasurable introduction to Grenada and the surrounding area. We look forward to staying there again soon.

Robert Bowker
Mountain Home, Arkansas

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Plaza Colon. We were delighted with every aspect of the hotel including location, quality of the room (it is well worth paying the extra for a room with balcony overlooking the central square), the facilities inc pool and the service.

Note that there is no restaurant at the hotel but there is a good choice of, at least, 4-5 good restaurants within 10 minutes walk.

As keen wine drinkers we were also pleased to have located right next door a very good wine bar which allowed us to either have wine on our room balcony (for an additional cost) or on the terrace area at the front of the building.

We would not consider staying anywhere else in Granada and this hotel is one of our two prefered hotels in all of Central America to date.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

My partner booked this hotel for our 1 night stay in Granada. (he had stayed there previously and now wanted to share it with me)
Besides a HUGE room and gorgeous pool open area where we had a lovely complementary breakfast the staff were always pleasant and helpful.
It didn't end there. Later, when I was in Managua I discovered I had left a jacket at the hotel.
I e-mailed them and told them that I would try to secure UPS or FedEx to get it (that way I could pay for the pickup from home {Canada}). When I found out FedEx wanted $60.00 I almost said forget it. I emailed the hotel to ask if they could let me know how much it would be to send it via regular post.
Maria, contacted me and said that it would be her pleasure to return it gratis. I was flabbergasted.
The jacket arrived today. They have absolutely OUTSTANDING service standards.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple