Let me start the review by stating that this was our first trip to Nicaragua. My wife and I were traveling with two other couples, age range from 50-60. We spent 10 days in Nicaragua, with three of them in Granada. I found Hotel Plaza Colon by reading the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and all who rated this hotel as excellent were right on target.
I had emailed Hotel Plaza Colon manager Maria Isabel Canton (absolutel a first class lady and totally fluent in English) in advance of our trip and requested three balcony rooms overlooking the Central Park. My request was granted.
Check in was almost too easy. They were expecting us. We quickly filled out the necessary information on the hotel registration form and they grabbed our bags and whisked us to our beautiful rooms. Why the almost too easy registration? As soon as I opened the door to my room, there were six staffers, including Maria, in the room with a birthday cake singing happy birthday to me. Wow! They had me from that moment on!
The room was very spacious. The bathroom, as others have pointed out, is just a bit small, but I do not spent much time in the bathroom, so this was not even a factor to my wife and I. The air conditioner worked great, as did the plasma screen television. The bed was hard, but nothing unlike most of the hotels we have encountered in Latin America and Mexico. The rear door to our second floor room opened up into a huge balcony, directly overlooking Centra Park and the horse draw carriages. When I say huge, I am talking 10 feet deep by 20 feet wide. The balcony had rocking chairs and table for our group to enjoy wine, Flor de Cana rum and great Nicaraguan cigars.
There is a pool in the open air courtyard that is so clean, when we viewed it from the 2nd floor, we thought it was empty. Some have commented that they thought the pool was small. If you are looking for an Olympic sized pool, yes, it is small, but if you are looking for a relaxing respite after a day on the town, not small in the least. Maria explained that the hotel was converted from an old, historic house, owned by a very wealthy family. They did not want to ruin the architecture by knocking down walls to create a massive pool. It is perfect for our purposes. Nice loungers, with large beach style towels, line the pool.
A buffet breakfast was served each morning with natural fruit juices and excellent Nicaraguan coffee.
Special thanks to Carlos the bell hop and his side kick (forgive me for I forgot his name), but he is the one with the ever-present smile. They could not do enough for us. This was not a fake interest in our well-bring, but absolutely genuine.
When staying at the Hotel Plaza Colon, I would highly recommend the following:
1. A carriage ride with Javier, the owner/driver of the #21 carriage. A true gentleman who takes excellent care of his horses and has been doing this for 15 years.
2. A shoe shine from a nice little old man named Julio. You will see him if you obtain the balcony rooms as the first shoe shine person who is right dead center on the square in front of the hotel. Bring some shoes, as this craftsman will bring them back to life with a polish and shine and some mild repair for 50 cents. Needless to say, the tip was larger than the price of the shine.
3. A boat tour of Lake Nicaragua with Ricardo Noguera. Ricardo lived in the states for many years and can hook you up for some fishing or a nice boat tour in a 15 seat canopy boat, providing water, beer, rum, cokes, whatever you want. He can be reached at [--].
I will allow Maria to recommend some of the restaurants we enjoyed, as all were right on target as well as any other advice we needed.
In summary, I would go back to Hotel Plaza Colon in a second. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we would have preferred to stay longer. The rooms were outstanding and the service was excellent. Maria scans the reviews on Trip Advisor to make sure the hotel continues to live up to its excellent ratings.
Thank you Hotel Plaza Colon for an outstanding three days.
Gary and Susan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in front of the main plaza, Hotel Plaza Colon has become a landmark of the colonial city of Granada. Our top notch colonial style facilities and our 100% Nicaraguan staff will make your stay a memorable one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Plaza Colon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Colon Hotel
- Plaza Colon Granada