“Charming Granada, a Hidden Gem”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 December 2009

What I liked the most about Hotel Plaza Colon was the hospitality of all the personnel, everyone greets with a warm smile and is alert to any of the guests needs. Hotel Plaza Colon is a beautifully renovated Spanish colonial style building converted into what people are now calling “hotel boutique”. Clean rooms, free internet and breakfast included. The front desk staff helped us book the tour to the Isletas and surrounding areas. They also recommended a great place to dine, if you go, don’t miss El Zaguan, which is about two blocks from the hotel. This was my first time in Nicaragua and absolutely loved it!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2009

We stayed two nights here. Lovely place; great, clean rooms; helpful staff, especially Carlos, genuinely the nicest man ever, anything you need, Carlos can help. One thing: the morning we left, my wife bought a croissant from the Don Simon coffee shop located in the hotel. It was moldy in the bottom, the counter person saw this, but still sold it to her. My wife did not noticed until after a couple of bites, and by then we were out of Granada. Then she realized why it took so long for them to give her the croissant. Despite this unfortunate situation, I still love this place. Watch out for the croissants, though!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2009

This is a friendly little gem of a hotel, on the perfect location in Granada, on the central park. The rooms are new, colonial style, with wireless internet, in-room safes. There is a little pool. Buffet breakfast in the courtyard in the morning. There is not a full restaurant here, but a little snack shop in the front patio, and also a wine bar on the front patio. Friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Friendly and competent people, nice rooms, quiet and located in the center of the city. The prices of the rooms differs but price performance ratio is good.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Let me start the review by stating that this was our first trip to Nicaragua. My wife and I were traveling with two other couples, age range from 50-60. We spent 10 days in Nicaragua, with three of them in Granada. I found Hotel Plaza Colon by reading the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and all who rated this hotel as excellent were right on target.

I had emailed Hotel Plaza Colon manager Maria Isabel Canton (absolutel a first class lady and totally fluent in English) in advance of our trip and requested three balcony rooms overlooking the Central Park. My request was granted.

Check in was almost too easy. They were expecting us. We quickly filled out the necessary information on the hotel registration form and they grabbed our bags and whisked us to our beautiful rooms. Why the almost too easy registration? As soon as I opened the door to my room, there were six staffers, including Maria, in the room with a birthday cake singing happy birthday to me. Wow! They had me from that moment on!

The room was very spacious. The bathroom, as others have pointed out, is just a bit small, but I do not spent much time in the bathroom, so this was not even a factor to my wife and I. The air conditioner worked great, as did the plasma screen television. The bed was hard, but nothing unlike most of the hotels we have encountered in Latin America and Mexico. The rear door to our second floor room opened up into a huge balcony, directly overlooking Centra Park and the horse draw carriages. When I say huge, I am talking 10 feet deep by 20 feet wide. The balcony had rocking chairs and table for our group to enjoy wine, Flor de Cana rum and great Nicaraguan cigars.

There is a pool in the open air courtyard that is so clean, when we viewed it from the 2nd floor, we thought it was empty. Some have commented that they thought the pool was small. If you are looking for an Olympic sized pool, yes, it is small, but if you are looking for a relaxing respite after a day on the town, not small in the least. Maria explained that the hotel was converted from an old, historic house, owned by a very wealthy family. They did not want to ruin the architecture by knocking down walls to create a massive pool. It is perfect for our purposes. Nice loungers, with large beach style towels, line the pool.

A buffet breakfast was served each morning with natural fruit juices and excellent Nicaraguan coffee.

Special thanks to Carlos the bell hop and his side kick (forgive me for I forgot his name), but he is the one with the ever-present smile. They could not do enough for us. This was not a fake interest in our well-bring, but absolutely genuine.

When staying at the Hotel Plaza Colon, I would highly recommend the following:

1. A carriage ride with Javier, the owner/driver of the #21 carriage. A true gentleman who takes excellent care of his horses and has been doing this for 15 years.

2. A shoe shine from a nice little old man named Julio. You will see him if you obtain the balcony rooms as the first shoe shine person who is right dead center on the square in front of the hotel. Bring some shoes, as this craftsman will bring them back to life with a polish and shine and some mild repair for 50 cents. Needless to say, the tip was larger than the price of the shine.

3. A boat tour of Lake Nicaragua with Ricardo Noguera. Ricardo lived in the states for many years and can hook you up for some fishing or a nice boat tour in a 15 seat canopy boat, providing water, beer, rum, cokes, whatever you want. He can be reached at [--].

I will allow Maria to recommend some of the restaurants we enjoyed, as all were right on target as well as any other advice we needed.

In summary, I would go back to Hotel Plaza Colon in a second. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we would have preferred to stay longer. The rooms were outstanding and the service was excellent. Maria scans the reviews on Trip Advisor to make sure the hotel continues to live up to its excellent ratings.

Thank you Hotel Plaza Colon for an outstanding three days.

Gary and Susan
worldwideangling@aol.com

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DocfromAtlanta
Reviewed 7 October 2009

All I can say is "AMAZING"!! The hotel is wonderful! it is perfectly located within the city. Walking distance to almost everything (bars, restaurants, clubs, etc). They sever a complimentary breakfast (very good!!).

The hotel is haunted. I know many people will not believe this but at 5am in the morning our shower turned on and water ran for about 15 minutes after realizing that everyone was in bed. it was very spooky but yet exciting. You can hear footsteps at times especially when the hotel is empty (which happened on my last night). I did not see anything with my own eyes, but certainly can experience some spooky activity. Comments from their employees also confirmed my suspicion of the place being haunted and not my mind playing tricks. The employees have confirmed that they also heard and hear at times footsteps on the top floors when the hotel is empty. Also other guests have experienced their bathroom doors close and open. If you are into thriller experience it's a must. I loved it and would definitely stay there.

The Hotel is beautiful and EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Loved the location and the balcony was heavenly ... the room was large ...the bathroom was not ... but the bed was hard as a rock. Yet, we would return here in a heartbeat because of the charming location, room size and ambience

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple