“Not a good place to stay.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dario

Hotel Dario
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Granada
Athens, Georgia
“Not a good place to stay.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I was a tourist in Nicaragua the week of April 9 - 16, 2012. I rented a car at Managua Airport and traveled to Leon, Las Penitas, Playa Maderas and Granada. I stayed at Hotel Colon in Granada the nights of April 13th, 14th and 15th. Around 8:00 p.m., on April 14th, I went to dinner at Hotel Dario. I had a salad, filet mignon, wine, and expresso and ice cream for dessert. The bill arrived and I disputed an extra $5.00 charge. This verbal dispute went on with my waiter and manager for about five minutes. When I arrived everyone greeted me in English, but when I was disputing the charge, no one seemed to understand or speak English. During this heated verbal exchange, the restaurant security guard walked over to where we were speaking but he did not speak or indicate to me that I should do anything. I paid the bill, including the extra $5.00 and left.

About 30 seconds later on the sidewalk in front of Hotel Dario, I was grabbed from behind by this 6 foot 4 inch security guard and beaten in my kidney area four times with a nightstick. You could see rage and hate for Americans in his face. Then, another hotel employee named Carlos (who has a reputation as a bully in town...) came over and they both picked me up, dragged me to the lobby of the hotel, threw me on the floor and handcuffed me extremely tightly with Smith and Wesson handcuffs!! I must add at this point that I am 5 foot 8 inches, 145 pounds, 59 years old with a condition likened to multiple myeloma, I’ve had a brain tumor, and I have an artificial shoulder. At no time during my interchange with the hotel/restaurant employees did I ever physically threaten them, nor did I have any weapon of any kind on me. Unlike my younger days, I cannot remotely defend myself as my right arm does not work.

Fortunately for me, the Granada police were called and rescued me from this mayhem. The handcuff key did not work and it took them an hour to pry the handcuffs off my already swelling and bloodied arms. I have bruises in my kidney area, spine, and both arms and I have consulted with my physician to make sure there is no permanent damage to my kidneys.

I did NOTHING at all to provoke a physical beating other than expressing my extreme displeasure at being overcharged and the guards apparent hatred and disdain for American tourists. The police were very kind to me, called a taxi for me after they took the handcuffs off and even shook my hand as they wished me well.

I have traveled all over the world to 149 countries and NEVER have I been abused or frightened like this in my whole life. This restaurant holds itself out as a four-star establishment, yet, I have been treated better in third world countries where there is no running water and in places I've toured such as Cuba, Ethiopia, Iran, Syria, Yemen, West Africa and North Korea where one might think there was a penchant for possible brutality.

There is NO excuse for such a savage beating when the worst that can be said about me was that I hotly contested the overcharge with words, not gestures.

This incident has been reported to the US State Department and the US Embassy in Managua.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
19 Thank ugaworldtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Charming hotel in the middle of "the strip" in Granada. Beautiful colonial building, the surrounds, courtyard, etc were fabulous.  Rooms in the front were generously sized, with tv, fans and AC.

We had a room with a balcony overlooking the street which was great. The "strip" in Granada is a pedestrian street with lots of bars and restaurants. As most restaurants have music playing outside, the rooms streetwise can be a bit noisy, it didn't bother us as the music was usually finished by midnight or before but it may bother others or families. There's a small pool at the rear of the hotel too.

Breakfast was fine, fruit, toast, tea/coffee/hot chocolate and a choice of eggs/ bacon/ pancakes/ granola/ gallo pinto.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Overall hotel is in a very central location and offers excellent value for money. We liked it so much, we extended our stay for an extra night!

• Stayed May 2012
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

This hotel is just "OK": for the price, the level of comfort leaves much to be desired (bed was terrible, and the AC seemed possessed), and the service was outright disappointing. Not all bad, though, as the locale is excellent, and the food very good (especially on Friday nights, for their Nicaraguan celebrations).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

The rooms are very clean and the location is perfect. Just walk out the front doors of the hotel and you are on Calle Calzada, where there are plenty of restaurants and shops and fun night life. We stayed in one of the suites, and the room was nice and very large. The first day that we arrived for check-in the air-conditioning was not working and the room got very hot. The rooms are kept very clean, and both hotel restaurants are excellent. I loved the typical Nicaraguan breakfast that was included with our meal. The pool is very small, and in the middle of a courtyard, it didn't look very kept up. There were two lounge chairs, one of which looked broken and there was never anyone at the pool.
We did a few tours around the area, the horse carriage city tour was very informative and you get to see all of the old churches and sites. We did a private tour of the islets, and of Mombacho volcano with "No Rush Tours" - incredible, I highly recommend.
The only downside that I would say about Hotel Dario was their customer service. It does not exist. But if you are looking for a hotel that is reasonably priced, in a great location check out Hotel Dario!

Room Tip: We chose the suite, which was quiet and away from other rooms, although a little pricier it is roomy...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
orangeville ont. can.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Reasonable rates,great food and service just steps fron central park.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Considering the limited resources you might find in Nicaragua (general speaking), this hotel is a grateful exception. My wife and I were in this hotel for almost two weeks with several check-ins and check-outs and everything went pretty smooth. Hotel is in pretty good condition, clean and functional. It is centrally located at the city of Granada. I would also like to emphasize the warmth and great customer service we found. From the management to housekeeping, everybody was real good. Additional mention, breakfast is included, and they provide several options with high standards. No complaints at all! On the other hand, my wife organized a familiar event (60 people) in the hotel. The event director (Daisy Pilarte) is a real asset to this hotel. She is full of patience, fast response, and takes care of any detail you can think of. I highly recommend organizing any type of event through her. You will not have any regrets. Finally, this hotel also has a restaurant with a great chef. You will find an interesting menu if you try. Great food and the prices are not bad at all. By the way, every Friday, the hotel provides traditional and regional musical events for free. In conclusion, if you need to visit Granada, Nicaragua, make this hotel your first choice.
Greetings,

Luis & Myriam
San Jose, California

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This Hotel, on Granada's pedestrian thoroughfare, was a wonderful surprise! We had expected to struggle to find value for money, but in this hotel, just a block away form the town's Plaza and close to all the main restaurants and tourist facilities, a room for two adults was $115, and the room was very classy! Once, what must have been a palacial home, now has 30 rooms, and of a very high quality. Each room has an en suite, aircon and cable tv, and there is free Wi Fi. There is a small gym, and also a pool. We had a room fronting the main street with a balcony, which was excellent! Our rental car was kept in a secure car park closeby, and the staff were extremely friendly. It provided free breakfast, and the restaurant menu looked excellent. I couldn't recommend this highly enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room with balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends