“Simply Marvelous”

Good for: Child-friendly
The World
“Simply Marvelous”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is another one of those unplanned great surprises. We had just been on a 75 Km bike trip through the area and were looking for some place to eat. I thought that it would be good to go elsewhere but my wife suggested we try the Senner Land.(this is the actual spelling of the establishment) We had seen this place many times before on our biking excursions but never thought to go in. I'm kicking myself because for the last 3 years of visiting this area, I've missed out on some of the finest food I've ever eaten.

One has to understand some of the cultural aspects when in this area. The whole family works in this place. The menus is superb and everything is cooked to order. My wienerschnitzel was undoubtedly THE BEST that I've EVER had! The presentation was simple but elegant. The homemade cranberry sauce was fantastic. And, what can I say about the au gratin potatoes except...I will be returning for more. (See pictures). My wife opted for the spätzle. I've never been too fond of this one, but tasting her dish, I'm now a confirmed spätzle consumer but only at this restaurant.

We ate outdoors on the balcony but its not until one goes indoors will one really understand what Sennerland is all about. From its exterior it appears to be a simple place with a turret roof. Go inside and the interior is designed with huge natural wood beams that join in a peak at the center. This creates simply one of the largest 'great rooms' designed for dining, that I have ever experienced. A room such as this makes everybody 'family' and as such one feels totally comfortable.
Enter through the front door and you are greeted with an expansive ice cream bar (all home made) and yes, the ice cream is simply some of the best I've had, too! You can amble by the cake table and admire and perhaps wonder how you might budget room inside your stomach for every sweet offering they have there. You can gaze at the clean, open kitchen and watch the preparation of your cuisine or make your own salad from their salad bar.

What makes this experience all the better is that as an English speaker, trying to speak and order in the native language, as best we can, we weren't felt penalized for it. In fact, it was the other way. The more we tried, the better the service got. Furthermore, the owner was continually walking through the restaurant and illiciting responses to his questions as to how the food and service was. True Quality Control at its best!

This rates FIVE STARS from me and if I could give 10, I would.

We can't wait to return. What a treat!

• Visited July 2013

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
“A great place for lunch/dinner”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The fun begins when you walk in the door; the cake buffet is stunning. The staff make you feel at home right away. try anything on the menu, you won't regret it! And if the weather is nice, sit outside on the terrace and enjoy the views.

• Visited July 2013