“Hidden little gem”

Ranked #3 of 31 Durbuy B&B and Inns
Wavre, Belgium
“Hidden little gem”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Chez Tante Alice is simply the best place to spend some time discovering the Ardennes around Durbuy. I have discovered the place a few years ago while I was looking for a nice -and not too expensive- place to spend the we. Since then, I came back a few times, and each time, the owners, who are extremely nice & friendly, welcome you as if you were part of the family. Definitely a place to go!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SigiL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sheffield
Reviewed 7 January 2010

This was a delightful guesthouse where you are made to feel like a true guest in somoeones home. The rooms are charming and the communal breakfast lovely. The owners are very friendly, the location quiet. It is approx 10min drive from Durbuy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FionaSheff
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Excellent at current prices. Nothing else left to say. BUT without a satnav you wont find it! You need a car in this middle of nowhere location. Perfect. Just how I like it. No guide book hugging robots here. Has highest B&B rating available and easy to see why. Beware of LuLu the ferocious guard dog.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KepinItReal
Palm Coast, FL
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Only since the advent of internet sights like Tripadvisor is it possible to find lovely, little lodgings far from the tourist crowds. This great B&B is in a tiny village, Aisne, about 10 kilometers from Durbuy. We only found it because we had a GPS, but I'm sure you could get excellent directions from Marie-France to get to this hiden gem.

The house is lovely with every need anticipated. Our room was quite large, super comfortable and beautifully decorated. The breakfast was served when we wanted it and was ample. Fresh breads and croissants, homemade jams, cheeses and ham, along with boiled eggs, yoghurt, fresh juice and a large pot of coffee.

Marie-France and Didier both speak English and are anxious to help with questions, dinner recommendations and anything else. They sent us to two great restaurants - both excellent and one of them a very reasonable and delicious Michelin restaurant (you will have to ask her).

See if you can find Chez Tante Allice!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bellakitty
Belgium
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stayed here with my mom for just one night. She was visiting me from the States and I really wanted her to have a lovely Belgian countryside experience. With Chez Tante Alice I didn't have to try very hard as the B&B was so welcoming. The room was just wonderful. My mom, who usually doesn't make too many comments, kept appreciating the lovely room and its cleanliness. There were so many little touches around the B&B such as the fresh flower decorations everywhere that it gave the place its special feel.
Of course, Marie France and Didier were so incredibly kind and sincere that made both my mom and I feel comfortable and almost at home! Their generosity will never be forgotten.
The surrounding countryside is really breath taking. There are many walks that can be done and the city Durbuy is not far at all and offers lovely restaurants and a true feel of a charming little Belgian town.
I highly recommend staying at Chez Tante Alice and I'm sure that everyone who does will have a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Benitav
Boston
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We stayed in ths beautiful cozy B&B in the Ardennes and I wish that we had had more time. The area around Durbuy is just gorgeous and it has something for everyone: kayaking, castles, spectacular food, Roman ruins, WW2 history,hiking and caves. We drove ten minutes into fairytale Durbuy proper, which is like a dream of castles, rivers and cute little stone stores (with a high end tourism bent). This is an area you need to drive around, but we had a great time tooling around the hills and farms. We got lost a few times, but that just let us discover more amazing little villages and people were very nice about giving us directions.

Madame Lesage's home is beautiful. A renovated former farmhouse, it is a dream home with great artwork, a beautiful garden and a hammock over the stream behind the house. She doesnt speak much English, but she was very tolerant of my poor French and we chatted over her wonderful coffee in the morning. I think the photos speak for themselves. Plus, the price is a deal for the gorgeous decor, location and charm.

• Liked — It was gorgeous
  • Disliked — we shoud have gotten a local map because getting lost was fun, but made us late
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dianatf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durbuy
La Passerelle
#1 of 20 in Durbuy
Les Chambres du Vivier
Les Chambres du Vivier
#4 of 31 in Durbuy

Been to Chez Tante Alice? Share your experiences!