“Fine dining with a view”
Review of L'Esplanade

L'Esplanade
Reserve with
L'Esplanade is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 17 Restaurants in Domme
Price range: US$29 - US$71
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Situated at the summit of the medieval town of Domme, on the Esplanade, which dominates the Dordogne valley. From the restaurant, which is shaded in harmonious yellow and blue to the rooms with antique furniture, you can experience and enjoy the Dordogne thanks to cuisine based on the flavours of the south-west intensified by inventive notes.
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Exceptional service and dishes to be savored while looking over the Dordogne at sunset. My concern about value quickly diminished upon entering the beautiful restaurant and disappeared as the food and wine were tasted. Upon return to Dallas a friend whose family has a vineyard in Bordeaux asked if I'd been to Domme and then, "Did you eat at L'Esplanade?" "One of my very favorite places to eat," he exclaimed. I hope to repeat the experience myself.

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed every element of the food. The standard of cooking and attention to detail was remarkable. Those who have marked this place down must have had a dispute over service, which was 'delayed', though the management and staff were wonderful and courteous if not pressed. For a leisurely gastronomic experience of the highest standard, this is your place! Not for the brash or movers.. For those with taste and taste buds. Possibly my best meal in France... ever; but I did get indigestion, my fault I think.

1  Thank sapdon
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Whilst on holiday in Domme for the third year in forum we finally made it to Esplanade for dinner and enjoyed it so much we returned again the same week.

Each time we found the service, food and wine to be of a consistently high standard and very much what I would expect at its price-point when compared to other restaurants in the area.

Plates of particular note:
The calamari starter and summer truffle with fresh goats curd starter.
The fish entree's (cod, brille and sole) were notably good, as was the Tournedos Rossini.
Amongst the desserts our party particularly enjoyed the souffle and the mint millefeuille (so good I had it twice!).

The amuse-bouches and petit fours which top-and-tail the meal were also delightful, a nice touch.

Reading some of the less-favourable reviews here I find it impossible to reach any of the same negative conclusions. Whilst another good restaurant locally is currently rated higher, the food isn't quite as good.

I will be sure to return to Esplanade on my next visit.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Cracking food & attentive service in a traditional hotel in the prime position in Domme, a characterful medieval walled town.
Spectacular views of the Dordogne valley way below, the pink sunset might distract you briefly from the excellence of the food.
Try the sole fillets, unusually presented but outstanding, accompanied by perfect cep mushroom risotto. Amuse bouches and petit fours help soften the blow but still a pretty pricey package, on or off piste.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

A gem of a find inthe french countryside - almost Michelin star quality from a very committed chef. The service was excellent and the wine list fairly extensive.