“location, location , location !!!”
Review of Hotel l'Esplanade

Hotel l'Esplanade
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Domme
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“location, location , location !!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Sitting on the terrace of the Hotel l'Esplanade in Domme, drenched in early evening sunlight, sipping a Ricard and being awestruck by the gorgeous view is a happy memory. So too is the meal we enjoyed in the restaurant - yes , pricey but really lovely and served with great style. The staff were friendly and tolerated my French. Breakfast was fine - good but not special. Yes, perhaps the hotel needs a bit of a makeover - but we don't mind a bit of faded glamour. Our room was pretty and clean. Our two nights stay felt like pushing the boat out a bit .... but that view was definately worth it !!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Since Domme is a very popular tourist location, upon arriving we had some trouble parking but luckily managed to get a free spot on the tourist parking area. The hotel itself has limited 'unofficial' parking space next to the hotel. (A max of 4 cars can park there).

Our room had a view over the valley and was furnished very picturesque and comfortable. The room was not very large but large enough for two people. It had a very nice bathroom, although there was no shower curtain and the toilet seems to have a 'toilet stop' during the night which can be quite frustrating. I have to say the view is the best part of the room. Although the noise from visiting tourists right next to the hotel can be somewhat disturbing.

I slept very comfortable and the rooms have airconditioning. Although I was awoken quite roughly by a maid cleaning the room right above us. Apparently the sound of the vaccuum can be heard clearly in the room.

I have mixed feelings about the staff. There was no sign of when breakfast was in our room and when turning up at a quarter past ten we were told it had already ended. Our mistake for not asking at first, but the woman behind the reception was quite snobbish and rude towards us, simply saying 'No', to the question if breakfast was still served. When asking when breakfast actually ended she did not give me an answer. (Even though my French is fluent).

Perhaps I had too high expectations of the kitchen, since my fellow travellers about their restaurant multiple times before going. There were multiple small courses, but bread and wine was definitely needed to satisfy the hunger and the mood in between courses. We started around 7 o'clock and ended dinner at around 11. The time it took between courses was incredibly long. The main waitress we had however was very pleasant and kind.

The food itself in my opinion was very average. Sometimes below average since it was completely unseasoned.
The green salad I had as a starter turned out to be incredibly green with a humongous amount of vinigar (which was everything but edible). My main course was beef, with no vegetables to be found apart from a few small mushrooms. My desert was 1 scoop of ice cream with 2 or 3 glazed peaches. I definitely tasted much better peaches in other restaurants and this did not thrill me at all.

My overall experience of this hotel is average. Very nicely decorated rooms and the hotel is very close to all the tourist locations. The staff can be quite arrogant. I would not eat at this restaurant again, simply because the prices are too high for the quality of food served.

Room Tip: Ask for one with view over the valley
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 24 July 2011

L'Esplanade is one of those places, you hope to find, but normally never do: Wonderful food, a lovely setting and great service to a very reasonable price. The food is really good, better than any restaurant i Sarlat I have been to. Inside both the restaurant and the rooms would benefit from being recorated, but I found I didn't mind because the overall experience was so good.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fiona2212
Washington, DC
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I spent 2 nights in May in a double for single use at the Hotel L’Esplanade. The room was reasonably sized and pleasantly decorated in an old world style. But I must admit that I barely looked at the room because the views from my valley-side windows were magnificent! They provided wonderful vistas, whether seen while sitting by one of the windows, or lying in bed, or standing in the bathroom where a mirrored wall reflected the scenery - and the fact that the views were visible from just about any place in the room was an incredible plus for me because I spend very little time awake in hotel rooms when I travel. This hotel is not outrageously expensive, but it was a bit of a splurge for me, and these glorious views ensured that every penny of the room rate was, for me, well spent.

A few other observations:
• There is no elevator to the rooms (instead, there is a beautiful wooden staircase); staff were available to carry my suitcase when I arrived and when I checked out.
• My bath area had a hand-held shower nozzle, but no shower curtain, so I chose to bathe rather than shower. A packet of bath salts was among the amenities in the room when I arrived.
• There is free public parking nearby on nights and weekends, but options for free parking are limited during weekdays. Check with the staff to make sure you know your options.
• WiFi is available, but the hotel does not have any computers that guests can use.

Breakfast was served at one’s table (rather than by buffet) on either an open terrace or a glass-enclosed patio (depending on the weather). It included a large basket of various delicious breads, juice, coffee or tea, and one’s choice from a large bowl of fresh fruit. At 12 euro, I thought it was overpriced.

BTW, I ate dinner at the hotel’s restaurant one night and thought it truly outstanding. It was not inexpensive, but it was not unreasonably priced for the quality of the food and service. Definitely worth the splurge!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Geneva
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to the Chateau des Milandes where Josephine Baker lived, so the superb location and the delightful charm of Domme itself came as a wonderful surprise for us. We spent four nights here and dined in the restaurant twice, both times on the terrace with its superb view (not always open depending on winds and weather). We had two different fixed menus on the first occasion and, although beautifully presented and served we were not overly impressed by the tastiness of the food. However, we went à la carte on the second occasion and it was superb - beefsteak Rossini with an excellent local wine. Our room was on the village side of the hotel overlooking the roofs of the 15th century houses and quite picturesque although on a future occasion I would splash out and have a more expensive room on the side with a view over the Dordogne. The room furnishings are rather stodgy (fin de 19th siècle) but the bathroom had been recently refurbished with the latest hitech fittings. Service was friendly although we had to remind the reception twice to replace used shampoos and bath gel. The breakfast was OK value at Euros12 but as my wife usually only has coffee and a croissant we ate out a couple of times. On checking out we found that we had been automatically charged for breakfast every day - an overcharge of Euros 48! The same thing had happened to another couple when they had checked out the previous day. I don't think that this was a try on as we had to point out that we hadn't been charged for something else which we had consumed. However, sloppy accounting is not acceptable for a hotel of this standard and I have docked a point for service. But there is no question that we would return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 July 2011

It's a beautiful hotel in the best location in a gorgeous town overlooking the dordogne river valley, we were given a nice room with a great view, of note hotel is somewhat overshadowed by big name restaurant on site, it seems staff are working both, the young staff are very helpful and attentive though I got the impression that there is a bad manager bringing the place down (I noticed her yelling at the staff and interrupting them while they were helping customers sending them off on some errand then leaving customers waiting or unhelped).
The rooms are a deal, I would stay here again even expecting the poor service but would avoid the restaurant.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the valley
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank diverguy
Toronto
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This beautiful hotel in Domme, very close to the market town of Sarlat, sits high above the Dordogne valley and the river. The staff are gracious and the room is very comfortable and beautifully appointed. For those with back problems, the bed has a firm, comfortable mattress.
We enjoyed fine dining twice in the hotel restaurant and also dined in two of several restaurants in the small village.

This location was excellent for exploring the area by car. However some pre-planning is necessary to ensure each day's itinerary takes you in a different direction. The scenery is magnificent but a GPS is a MUST in this area to navigate the windy lanes taking you to various destinations. Try to be in Sarlat for the Saturday market which takes over the town. For us the Dordogne area was a real find for a driving holiday.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keepongoing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Domme
Chateau de Monrecour
#2 of 4 in La Roque-Gageac
Plaza Madeleine & Spa
Plaza Madeleine & Spa
#3 of 35 in Sarlat-la-Caneda

Been to Hotel l'Esplanade? Share your experiences!