“Great hotel, great location!”
Review of Hotel de la Marine

Hotel de la Marine
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at Hotel de la Marine. The rooms are comfortable, many with a wonderful ocean view. The rooms are tidy and well-appointed. The bathroom was spacious by European standards. I was traveling with my extended family of 10 and we had 4 rooms, all of which we were very pleased with the the views out the windows and quietness, even though we were on the beachfront/square. The breakfast was a routine European breakfast, bread and pastries, applesauce, yogurt, juices and cereals. Location was convenient to the D-Day beaches, the American Cemetery and many food choices for lunch and dinner. The hotel staff was accommodating to our family with 3 children!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tara G

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is the most charming, beautiful hotel! The staff is incredibly helpful and honest. We asked if we should take one of the D-Day tours and they looked at our family traveling with a 12 year old boy and recommended that we rent a car and visit the D-Day beaches and museums ourselves as well as Mont St. Michel. They made the car reservation for us and our family being American they made sure to reserve us an automatic SUV. They also scheduled a taxi to come pick us up to take us to the car rental. Dinner at the hotel is magnificent as well as breakfast. The croissants they bring to the table at breakfast are divine! Make sure to ask for a room with a view of the ocean as we heard they are more spacious. The entire town of Arromanches and this hotel are magical and well worth the stay!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room as they are more spacious and the view is truly magnificent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Hôtel de la mar... M, Responsable relations clients at Hotel de la Marine, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Madame, Dear Sir,

We thank you very much to have taken the time to write your comment abour our property.
It was a real great pleasure to welcome you and your lovely family and we are so happy to contibuate to this stay in Normandy!
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again !
Have a nice evening.
Mme Durand Lénaïc.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel provided us just what we needed: a Bed, a nice shower and WiFi. The Staff was quite helpful with parking ideas. We stayed just one night, between Bayeux and our day visiting D-Day sites. the room was clean.

Room Tip: Ask for your WiFi (Wee-Fee) code, free.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My encounter with this hotel involved being charged 30 euros for 2 gin and tonics and 2 beers ! Outrageous , especially as the barman offered no bill to explain how this cost was arrived at or why it was such an amazingly "round" amount ! It is a great shame because this hotel had the best position close to the Gold beach. Exploiting good honest people.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jocousins1

Dear Sir,

We thank you very much to have taken the time to share your experience. Would you be kind enough to give us more details about what seems to happen in the bar with your drinks ? When did you come ? Because no drinks are served without any receips and the receips are let on the table. For the price, we just serve the best products and the price is in connection with the quality. We will never propose less quality for a better price. We do not serve just alcoohol, we serve the best gin.
We are sorry not to be able to give you satisfaction. Regards. Mme Durand Lénaïc.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

At the recommendation of my sister, I stayed at this hotel for one night during my tour of Normandy. The staff was professional, personable and went out of their way to help me. The restaurant food was great with wonderful presentation and service. I had a sea-side room which was impeccably clean and well decorated. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing to visit the region of Normandy. It was also close to the American Cemetery and Museaum of Omaha Beach ~ a highlight for any tourist! I did not access the swimming pool or fitness center which would have been a plus!

Room Tip: I prefered the room on the 2nd floor by the sea ~ beautiful view and high enough to avoid any noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My family of seven stayed at the Hotel de la Marine, we were given the two rooms in the top floor. Which was very cozy and nice. The only challenge is bringing up luggage up the narrow stairs. The location is great, just down the street from the main area of Arromanche and the water. The owners were very nice and accommodating, and we really enjoyed our stay. It is certainly no Marriott, but it is like a bed and breakfast with great local flavor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Luis R
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was booked at the end of a two week journey through Northern Spain and Western France by my partner and myself. My partner wanted to visit some of the WW2 sites and so Arrowmanches les Bains seemed like a good choice. Hotel de la Marine seemed to be ok, not great, but ok...how I wished I had taken more notice of the poor reviews on trip advisor...there was a warm enough reception as we walked into the place but it all went rapidly downhill after that! Once we stepped out of the lift onto the second floor we were greeted by a smell of damp and decay, dirty carpets dingy and stained, lighting poor and horrible decor. Our room was small and horrible, it smelled disgusting, mostly I suspect from the macerator toilet! Which on flushing sounds like something from a Monty Python sketch and might have been funny if I had not felt so miserable. We opened our windows wide to let in some fresh air while we went to have a drink in the bar. The day was sunny and hot and cheered us up somewhat - until we were told that a pint of beer and a glass of lemonade was going to cost us 10.90 euros (we thought we had misheard the waiter but no, that was the price)
The bed in our room was small, lumpy and uncomfortable with no headboard so it was virtually impossible to sit up in bed as the pillows slipped down the gap. The bed was behind the bathroom so it felt claustrophobic and had no view. The wifi did not work, my partner went down to the reception to find out why and after trying herself the woman on the reception desk just said she did not know why it was not working. We stayed in ten hotels and B & B's on our holiday - 9 were wonderful but this sorry excuse for a hotel is just awful. The only upside is it's beach front location, and for this they think they can charge a lot while ignoring the fact that it is horrible inside. We did not have dinner there nor did we stay for breakfast! If the area had not been so busy due to the D day influx I would have gladly paid my money then walked out the door to find other accommodation.

Room Tip: Just don't go!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beth B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arromanches-les-Bains
Hotel L'ideal Le Mountbatten
Les Villas d'Arromanches
Les Villas d'Arromanches
#1 of 2 in Tracy-sur-Mer
Domaine de la Ranconniere et de Mathan

Been to Hotel de la Marine? Share your experiences!