“Fabulous place”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2014

You won't find fish fresher than here. 2 families enjoyed a great lunch of prawns, crab claws, scallops, fish and chips and also a great beget adrian option. Great location after market day and really good service. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank David P

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I came here for a coffee while walking around the town. You can sit inside or out. The coffee I had was good quality and probably the best I experienced in Saint Vaast, compared to other hot beverages I had.in Saint Vaast.The cost was reasonably priced for having coffee out, and cheaper than your Starbucks/Costa Coffee.

The menu I looked had was definatly reasonably priced for daytime/evening eating.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Our group of four went one Friday evening in September looking for a light evening meal as we had eaten a large lunch. I am glad we booked because by 8pm the covered terrasse was full of French people and there was a good atmosphere. Inside, where the diners shared space with the counters of the fish shop the there was still a bit of room .

The waitress was friendly and helpfull . We ordered prawns and langoustines to start .The prawns were really sweet although the langoustines were a bit lacking in flavour. One of the party ordrered the fish and chips which comprised of two decent pieces of fish in a crisp crumb coating and a decent portion of chips and he declared that he was happy with his choice. Another member of the party had a simple moules frites which was very good.

The two remaining members of the party, including myself, went for the fish soup with the croutons gruyere and rouille. I have to admit to having a thing about fish soup and order it whenever I am near the coast in France. In this case the flavour was deep, the rouille was piquant but the soup was lukewarm, which really defeats the object of fish soup.

It has to be said though that the locals eating around us seemed happy with their food and the fish coming off the grill looked really good. So if you are in St Vaast, The Criee du Tomahawk is certainly worth trying and if you go I would suggest booking a place on the terrasse.

1  Thank Aubin68
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Thanks to Tripadvisor I went to this place.... Otherwise, I would just have passed it and entered a more regular spot. But wow, I was glad to choose this one. One side a fish mongery and within all these fish there is a restaurant. Absoluty fresh and very nice atmosphere. Go there.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

One thing it is not is a luxury, romantic or superbly decorated restaurant - what it is is the best and freshest seafood and fish restaurant you could wish for - it could only be fresher if you went to sea with the fishing fleet and chose your dish as the net came in. Mostly during the day it is a fishmonger shop but in the evening it becomes a restaurant serving shellfish, crustaceans, prawns and fish that are displayed for home cooking. The inside area is pretty basic 70's Formica and the outside area simple tables and chairs (but with a good view over the harbour) and less of a cafeteria feel. The Tomahawk (strange name wonder how that came about?) is not about décor or ambience or even comfort it is about fresh , well cooked and served food. Wonderful mussels and oysters as starters or huge platters of fruits de mer but do try the fish we had a delicious Turbot not especially big but so full of taste and flavour and perfect. The desserts are pretty tempting as well with a coupe of champagne a pastis and half a carafe of rose 65 euros for two - real value for money - if you are anywhere near do not miss this restaurant - we went back a second time from 30 Km away !