“Nice Staff, Very Basic Rooms.”

Cote Thalasso Ile de Re
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ars-en-Re
Nice, France
“Nice Staff, Very Basic Rooms.”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed in room 114 and found it clean, a reasonable size but extremely basic. The bed was really hard, we were given two quite small tough pillows only (though the bed was a good size for France) with only one blanket and a thin bedspread. The room was really cold and although we adjusted the air con unit it seemed that it didn't provide hot air. The fridge made a terrible racket so we pulled the plug out of the socket. I don't know if all the rooms are like this but the decor is circa 1980 with pink/apricot painted textured walls and grey tiles. The strangest thing was that there was quite a nifty fold away kitchen unit which contained a ceramic cooktop but absolutely no cooking utensils, no pots, dishes ... no nothing so, what on earth was the point of that? We were lucky as were only staying overnight for a conference but I would hate to be paying the rates they are charging and checking in for a longer period for a holiday or a week of spa treatments. It really is nothing more than a basic motel room but costing considerably more. You have been warned - bring your thermals!

Room Tip: Check if there is heating and ask for some blankets if necessary!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I'm going to be a little bit more descriptive here because we were caught off guard with ameneties that required additional payment. The room was older. There was a refrigerator under the TV. Yes, there was a TV, but with poort reception and limited channels. There was a stove top (2 burners), small sink hidden; but no pots, plates, silverware. No soap to clean dishes – if there were any. So that served no purpose at all. Be informed – RCI site does not tell you that you need to take a treatment at Thalacap. When we received our letter from Thalacap it stated that it was mandatory to take a treatment. The cheapest one was the decouverte – 3 – ½ day treatments. Depending on the currency exchange – it could be $500 or more – yes, this is the cheapest one. Only one person is mandatory. Although you are asked to indicate what you want and the days you want them, you do not get the days you want. If you opt not to take a treatment, you will still be charged for it.
I was set up for the first three days and actually wanted the last three days. When asked if I could change, I was told it was impossible to do so. Be informed – English is not spoken very much here. They cater to the French clientele.
I did enjoy all three half days of treatments, but I couldn’t tell you what their purposes were.
Each ½ day consisted of four parts. My first and third day were exactly the same with a slight variation on the second day.
Day 1 – Since we had arrived around 9 p.m. the night before, the person at reception had a handwritten note informing me to report to the Spa and pick up my linen package. But the spa was closed. I was to arrive 20 minutes in advance to participate in an overview of what to expect. I picked up my linen package which consisted of sandals, robe, small towel, and hair bonnet inside a bag to use each day.
I waited anxiously until my name was called. Since the individual providing this overview didn’t speak English, she handed me my schedule and directed me back downstairs to report to Room 1 (Salon 1). So while everyone else was getting a very informative, lively orientation on what to expect, I sat and waited wondering what was going to happen.
Part 1 – My name was called. I was directed to a room labeled envelopment. I told the young woman English please. She did her best and gestured me to get on the table. Be prepared that if you have a once piece bathing suit on, you are asked to roll down the top portion as if you were only wearing the bottom half of a bikini.
A seaweed paste is rubbed on your back, abdomen, arms, and legs are covered with the paste. You are then wrapped in plastic wrap and then another slightly warming, heavier cover. I was asked if I was claustrophobic. I am not. I was asked if I wanted music and the lights out. It was better this way as I didn’t know what to expect. After 20 min, the person returned to unwrap me and instructed me to shower off.
Part 2 – Not much time to wait between part 1 and part 2. This part of my treatment was a jet bath with a cap full of jasmine oil. This lasted about 15 minutes.
Part 3 - There was an hour in between the second and third portion. As I was not prepared for this, I sat around in the upper portion of the spa perusing French magazines looking at the pictures because I don’t read French. It turns out that I may have asked for a workout in the pool. There were about 10 of us. Fortunately, the young woman did some demonstrations and I was looking around inconspicuously at the others for their movements. This lasted about 20 minutes. Everyone used their hair bonnet in this class, but not for the other treatments. I suppose so there was no hair floating around in the pool.
Part 4 – This was the part I enjoyed the most. It was a shower on your back while oil was rubbed on your back, shoulders, and legs. Again, be prepared for the removal of the top portion of your bathing suit. Oh, did I mention that a man must wear a speedo? Once the oil has been rubbed on, you are given about 5 minutes to lay still while the shower comes down on you.
At the end, your robe, towel and bonnet are completely soaked. You can ask for another set. I just asked for a new towel each time. I hung my robe to dry in my room.
Part 2 and 3 were slightly different on day two. Part 2, instead of seaweed, it was algae. Part 3, a large jet tub. But at first, the individual used a powerful jet to rub up and down your legs, arms, abdomen, and back. Again, I don’t know what the purpose is. Then I was given about 10 minutes in the jet tub.
There is a restaurant. We didn’t eat there. We had a car and that helped out a lot to get around the island.
There are bicycles to rent. We did this one day for half a day (6 hours). Thoroughly enjoyed this. There are special bike paths to use on the island that keep you away from traffic. Although we did see people riding on the regular roads.
There is an outdoor pool, but we couldn’t figure out how to get in. It was locked and we were not given a key.
The indoor pool, gym, etc. are located to the right of the pick up station for your linen package.
There is free wifi, but it is rather slow. But we appreciated it as we were able to call home using our MagicJack.
We had to admit, we didn’t hear people in their rooms. The occasional movement of chairs or the heavy footed person walking down the hall. Other than this, it was quiet.
The doors to the facility are locked after a certain hour. We believe it is 11 p.m. We could walk to the water and there was a supermarket off the main road. We were not too far from it. I wanted to be specific about the treatments because I could not find any information on them.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MeloPeach
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We were recommended to go there by friends and we liked it. Found the staff really friendly and v charming and helpful. Room was comfortable and clean and quite large for French standards. Public areas we found clean and tidy. Breakfast was a decent selection and worth the money. We'll go back another time for a bit longer and use as a base for a cycling holiday. Thumbs up from us.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SydneyKoukla
Bristol
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We were very apprehensive about staying here, some of the (English) reviews were not very good, however we went with an open mind and were presently surprised. The hotel was in the middle of a quiet residential area 5 mins cycle from the nearest beach or 5 mins from the quaint village centre. The hotel was very clean and smart and the reception staff were polite and friendly. The room was fine, very clean and smart (pretty much the same as any other 3 or 4* holiday hotel room). The hotel is ideally located to access the excellent cycle paths around the island - and village. We hired our bikes from the hotel for convenience (although they were slightly more expensive than in the village). We used the spa and gym a few times which offered good facilities, although the small indoor pool did get crowded (and noisy with children), the opening hours did make it difficult to relax "children free" though. Breakfast was a very good continental buffet and we ate dinner in the restaurant one night which was good (quiet dining room) but was the most expensive meal we had during our stay. We ate at a few restaurants around the village (which is small so you will find them all yourself!) which were all good but we were particularly fond of "le 20" which is next to the antiques shop opposite the supermarket 10 mins walk from the hotel. We caught the number 3 bus to / from the airport which was cheap, but criss-crossed the island on its way to the far end. You get off at the Ars en Rey "diversion" stop just before the supermarket and walk 10 mins to the hotel. Free wi-fi in hotel was a bonus! and the windows had shutters, net curtains and curtains on them which gave us total blackout at night. I have to agree with another review about the pillows though - one was too high, the other too low! BUT the beds were excellent - a large (true) double with a nice mattress and the room was quiet (hotel is only 2 stories mostly)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank WandererBristol
wiltshire
Reviewed 30 August 2010

As a last minute booking during high season, we were pleased to find availability at this 3 star spa hotel. However our joy was short lived on arrival at the hotel. After a long wait to check in , the reception staff were cold and disinterested, and couldn't even offer the briefest of smiles. Our ground floor room, number 119, was shabby, with an overpowering smell of damp - further inspection revealed rotting wood panels in the entrance and in the bathroom. As the receptionist had by this time left for the evening we reported our concerns to the night porter. Although he was not familiar with the computerised booking systems, he was really helpful, and kindly found an alternative room - however on inspection the beds there had not been made up and so it was not suitable. With all other rooms full, we were forced to spend the night in the original room with the doors opened, and with the large can of air freshener that the night porter just happened to have ready for such an event. A new room was found the next day, and the receptionist said that she would report the problem to her manager and have the room refitted-( however we thought that we overheard someone assigning the room to another unsuspecting guest the very next day!! )
Breakfasts were good, though you needed to be in early if you wanted to have a wide selection of bread, fresh fruit, pastries etc.The spa was a little disappointing, especially as its pool closed early, and the jacuzzi was small , but, its saving grace was that it was one of the few areas of the hotel which was dog-free. (To be fair the dogs were all well behaved, but seeing them relieving themselves on the grass outside our bedroom french window each morning, discouraged us from walking in the grounds)
The village of Ars is pretty , with a good range of restaurants and a supermarket , though it helps if you have a bicycle to access the village or one of the many great beaches.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wiltshirewailers

Travellers are raving about these Ars-en-Re hotels

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2010

This is a comfortable enough room to use as a base when exploring, but is of the standard of a modern Travelodge or Premier Inn quality.

The spa is not a "luxury" spa, more a treatment centre for those taking Thalassic treatments and cures. We tried to book a massage session in which was not cheap, but experienced a real attitude of indifference in the spa, and they need to work on their customer service

Free fast internet is a plus, and the breakfast was reasonable.

Given Ile de Re is packed full of holiday hotels and guesthouses this one is nothing special, and I would really only recommend it if you were going for the medical/cure treatments.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We would not go to this hotel again. It did not meet any of our expectations. We looked forward to a restful stay at Thalacap Ile de Re. It was a disappointment. We arrived by taxi from St Martin (€30) at 17.00hrs on the 17th September 2009. On check in when we sought to reserve for dinner we were told the restaurant was booked out for the night. We were happy to have anything to eat - even a sandwich or to have room service. We were told NO there would be NO food available for us. This hotel is 30 minutes walk from the nearest cafe / restaurant ! We could hire a bicycle if we wanted ! We did not want to go out or hire any bicycle - we just wanted to stay in our hotel and have something (anything) to eat and to enjoy the evening at home. The receptionist was friendly and seemed embarrassed and frustrated but food was non-negotiable. When we tried to complain this morning we were told the manager would be out in a minute. We waited and waited - he would be out in a minute - he took considerable time to come out to talk to us and only after several repeat requests. The manager was somewhat indifferent to how unacceptable it was to have a supposed 3* hotel so far from any other source of food and not able to provide any food for guests willing to eat at any time during the evening!! The pool is small - very small. Other guests were friendly in the intimate pool - it was necessary as we met each other every couple of seconds. There was an almost sense of conspirator friendliness amongst the swimmers to counteract the stern stiff approach of the staff. The Jacuzzi is small - be prepared to bump knees if four persons are in it. The instructor giving the aqua gym class was good. Incredibly the pool CLOSED at 18.15hrs for the aqua gym class and once that was over the pool closed altogether for the evening. Closing a hotel pool at 18.15hrs would be incredible in any hotel but was even more so as the specific attraction feature of this hotel was the therapy pool - it was why we travelled to stay in that hotel. The night porter was friendly and got us an extra couple of tiny pillows to supplement the single small pillow per person provided in the room. Internet €4.50 per hour! Yes there is a restaurant but not for us even though we arrived 17.00 and happy to eat at any hour! Yes to internet but at ridiculous cost! Yes to "swimming pool" but small and not possible to "swim" and closed at 18.15hrs!

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JimOnHolidays
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ars-en-Re
Atalante Relais Thalasso
#3 of 4 in Ars-en-Re
Le Martray
Le Martray
#4 of 4 in Ars-en-Re

Been to Cote Thalasso Ile de Re? Share your experiences!