“Tiny rooms but fabulous location”
Review of Les Colonnes

Les Colonnes
Surrey
“Tiny rooms but fabulous location”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in June. Fantastic location directly overlooking the marina. Would recommend paying a bit more to get one of the few rooms at the front with a balcony. Rooms very small but perfectly adequate. Secure (chargeable) car parking available about five minutes walk away and would recommend you use given the difficulty of parking in Saint Martin de Re. Free wifi also available. If you are a first timer to the Ile De Re, do note that accommodation is not cheap so be prepared to pay premium prices, even for two and three star hotels. Would stay at Les Colonnes again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at les Colonnes for the last two nights of our 2 week stay on ile de rè. The location I'd truly fantastic, right in the middle of the port with secure parking to the rear.
We stayed with our 1 year old baby, one night we booked s lovely meal down the road, the had no baby chairs and (Sophie) at Les Colennes actually lent us one!!!
The drinks and food were fantastic and to top it all off we left all our shoes, perfumes and my wife's makeup bag in the hotel..on arrival back to England we contacted the hotel and they boxed it all up (value £1000 +) and mailed it to the UK after I arranged courier.

Absolutely fabulous stay here!!!!!

Alex Wotherspoon

• Stayed September 2013
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

We booked 3 nights here because of the fantastic location. Our original room on the back was in dire need of a makeover as you had to move the bedside table to get to the cupboard with the safe in and the wardrobe was totally inadequate for us as we are on a 3 week holiday. By luck, in the morning, the room opposite's door was open and oh what a difference. It has been totally refurbished and overlooked the harbour. On checking with reception we were able to transfer into Room 19, at a higher rate, but we considered it worth it. Reception staff were helpful with any queries we made and we chose to park in their car park for security reasons but agree that €12 a day seems abit high. Tried one of their crepes and it was delicious but for the rest of the time we ate elsewhere but the restaurant was busy most of the time so could be worth a try.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I spent 5 days with my parents in this hotel.
The staff (Sophie) was really kind, she speaks english and was really helpful with us.
We found the hotel throught the turist office, and we managed to book just one night.
The day after, before doing the check out, I asked if, by any chances, there was any room available for more nights. It turned out that they've just had a cancellation so we stayed 4 more nights.
They gave us a code for entering with the car in the harbor for leaving the luggage. We parked the car just outside the entrance of the harbor, there is a free park (often full!).

The room (no harbor view, 1st floor) was quite big and had a new bathroom.
We had breakfasts and couples of dinners at the hotel restaurant. Breakfast is normal, while dinners are quite good!
During the check out the owner was really kind and booked for us (we don't speak french!) a room in a hotel in La Rochelle.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed here recently with my mother as part of a 4 week trip around France in July. I don’t normally do reviews but felt I had to do one in this case. I chose the hotel on the basis of the location (which is great), the price and the praise of the other reviews. This was a terrible mistake.
My mother is now quite elderly and speaks good conversational French but can now be a bit slow at times. Nonetheless I would expect someone of her age to be treated with respect and care as a paying guest. I was disappointed and quite angry at the manner in which she was treated by the hotel staff and said so - which was met either with a glare or a trained expression of complete bafflement.
At times the front desk staff (who never introduced themselves or asked how our stay was going or how our day out had been) spoke very good English. At other times - when we complained about slamming doors and noise at 02.30 in the morning - their English seemed to be non-existent. Please do be aware that the walls here are remarkably thin and getting a goodnights sleep after a day exploring is simply impossible.
Ile de Re is a fantastic place to visit and we found the vast majority of the people friendly and helpful. This hotel / restaurant with rooms above has a strange and frankly unwelcoming atmosphere. I am not sure if they are simply anti-foreigner or anti-elderly women trying to speak the native language who do not understand the staff’s sarcastic and mocking “sense of humour”. Thankfully my mother was (or at least pretended to be) relatively unaware. I however was deeply embarrassed at my choice of hotel and managed to check us in for our final night at a nearby hotel which mercifully felt like a world away.
I would not recommend Les Colonnes to anyone. There seem to be a bunch of good hotel / guesthouses in the immediate area. I simply wish I had originally taken more time to choose the right hotel than trust that such a cracking location could not possibly be marred by such shocking and disinterested service. Beware

Room Tip: I would imagine all the bedroom walls were paper thin so noise would be a problem throughout
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank David T
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The first thing you must accept when considering spending time on the beautiful Ile de Re is that you will pay over the odds for everything, even by French standards (€16 toll just to cross the bridge onto the island! )So yes, the very small rooms do seem overpriced but you are paying for the location of St Martin and if your room has one of the tiny balconies then it is lovely to sit and watch the world go by. After 11pm it is pretty quiet until the bin wagon makes its daily visit approx 5am. If you don't want to pay their parking fee, then you could leave your car on the grass outside the town's walls about 10mins walk away for free. We didn't eat at the hotel but it was always very busy day and evening. The rooms are in need of a makeover and removing the redundant furniture would help when both of you want to move around at the same time. That said, we would stay here again if we wanted to stay in St Martin because it is the best of the limited choice of hotels in this price range and the staff are very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Crabby061
california
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel is extremely well situated in the old harbor of St Martin and the prices suffer accordingly. My room (no harbor view) was so small that I had to move the armchair to reach in the cupboard. The bed occupied all the available space.
The parking situation is outrageous. 12 E/day, at least 500 meters away from the hotel, not fun with a big luggage. If there is a better way to load and unload the luggage it was not offered.
Service is not friendly.

#7 of 12 in Saint Martin de Re
Hotel du Port
Hotel du Port
#10 of 12 in Saint Martin de Re

Been to Les Colonnes? Share your experiences!