“Worth every penny”
Review of Hotel de Toiras

Hotel de Toiras
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We visited for 4 nights at the beginning on June, and can't recommend this hotel enough.
As all the reviews have said, the welcome is warm and the service very good. All the rooms are lovely and quiet, as you would expect at a Relais & Chateau establishment.
We too were upgraded from a Superior Room, ( Frank Baudouin) to a Deluxe Room (Louis Suire). Whilst there was no difference in size of these rooms the better was on the first floor facing the courtyard, whilst the other was on the ground floor of the courtyard. The Hotel was quite full when we were there, so the upgrade was very appreciated and not expected. With the Global downturn we were also offered a 10% discount for a 4 night stay at the time we booked, so at 225E per night including breakfast we were very happy with the value for money.
The continental breakfast consisted of freshly sqeezed juice, fruit salad, cereals, a bread basket with pastries and bread / toast and tea/coffee, all served on pretty plates and silverware on linen tablecloths.
To be recommended in St Martin is the restaurant Serghi - its innovative food and modern presentation put all the other restaurants around the quai to shame. We too went to Skipper which was just touristy typical French seaside fare, and Serghi was the same price but infinitely better. Also went to "A cote de chez Fred" which was also disappointing food wise, although the owner recommended great wine.
Parking is difficult in St Martin, so the 10E charge per day for parking by the hotel was appreciated - the metred carpark cost 9E per day.
On the last night we ate in the hotel - once again silver service and delicious food as one would expect in a fine dining establishment, with lots of extras (amuse bouche, petits
fours etc) but it was very formal and very expensive.
All the staff went out of their way to be helpful, and with a fantastic location on the Quai, this is definitely the best place to stay in St Martin, and in my opinion, on the entire island.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2009

Everything was just wonderful. A great position on the edge of the harbour bang in the centre of everything, amenities no more than a few minutes walk. The building has enormous charm and has been very tastefully decorated. The public rooms are delightful, the food great and even the lift is elegantly done out.

The hotel is not cheap if you are paying full wack in high season, but I got a brilliant deal - upgraded to a sensational suite (Aziyade after the book by Pierre Loti) for the price of the cheapest room which I had booked in advance. Great views of the harbour from the bedroom windows. Whether upgrades are a regular occurence I don't know, but all the rooms I saw were very chic and comfortable with classy wallpapers, furnishings and fabrics and all the conveniences any reasonable traveller could want in such a hotel.

Service too couldn't be faulted, very professional, discrete and efficient with a genuine warmth.

The Ile de Re is a great location to unwind for a few days, and cycling around the island on the excellent network of cycle routes is highly enjoyable - bikes can easily be hired and fairly cheaply - even a retro style penny farthing or tandem if you want.

Will I go back? Absolutely given half a chance. Truly one of the best hotels I have stayed at - the Michelin Red Guide is spot on describing the hotel as a rare pearl.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We spent a fabulous four days in Le Toiras at the end of February 2009. While the rest of France was on the skis, we had the lovely Ile de Re to ourselves, and it was sunny and warm every day. In February! Le Toiras is a wonderful hotel: a historical building, tastefully decorated in the heart of St Martin, right by the port a string of lovely restaurants. The service staff was truly friendly and kind, nearly in a Thai kind of way. We have traveled all over Asia and Europe and Thailand is where you find that real service with a smile. Well, we found that in Le Toiras. The breakfast was great if expensive (20 euros. We had dinner there once and it was fabulous - sort of Michelin star quality, and very reasonable (100 euros for two, no wine). I suppose that when you go to Ile de Re in the summer and have to pay high-season rates, Toiras might be a bit too pricey, but in low season this really is the place to stay if you want a top-class hotel. We did not understand the complaints of some other commentators on the site about the lack of a separate bar or the fact that you need to go through the dinner/bfast area to get to the courtyard rooms. That is just how the building is.
We looked at Le Richelieu too but were not impressed, though the Senechal in Ars looked classy (wooden floors etc).
Great little bistrot restaurant across from Toiras is Bistrot du Marin. But we did not like the Skipper restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Gadj
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Extremely comfortable rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Attention to detail is that of a five star hotel. The breakfast menu is over complicated, not food wise, but pricing wise. However, the staff were helpful. I suspect that the more expensive rooms may not be good value for money at full price, but the example of the cheaper room that we had was very good. Our more expensive suite, for which we did not pay full price, would not have been so nice at full price, but that suite was set up to accommodate four, and for a family may have worked out as a better deal.
The cheaper room had the internal courtyard as a view, this was pretty, and we heard no noise. The suite had the harbour as a view, this was quite exciting, the boats seem for the most part to be working fishermen, and the harbour is surrounded by much of the night life. Some noise with the windows open, but nothing seemed to penetrate the double glazing. Loved the shutters. Ah, the baths. Both our room and our suite had lovely roll top baths and absolutely gorgeous bath stuff to put in them.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Capetian
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We have just come back from 5 nights at this wonderful hotel. I suspect we had one of the smaller rooms and yet it was very large. The standard of the decor was wonderful and there was a lovely feel to the hotel. However, in spite of this I would say that the staff stand out from the hotel as worthy of a mention. Friendly, polite, helpful and with exceptionally high standards. The location of the hotel is also excellent being on the harbour but not the noisier part further down. I would recommend this hotel unconditionally.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank darrenh060
Reviewed 28 July 2008

This is a great little hotel in a great location. This is right in the heart of St. Martin de Re and is just moments from restaurants, bars, and shops, and all the sights and sounds of the island. The staff were really keen to please as soon as we arrived. Our top floor room (a superior) was roomy and really well presented and was cleaned and tidied twice every day. Our room was on the inner courtyard and was really very peaceful. For those expecting a huge range of facilities (gym, business centre etc) then this is the wrong hotel for you. This is a small boutique hotel (endorsed by Relais & Chateaux) in a fabulous location on a fabulous island. This hotel certainly isn't the cheapest on the island but it was worth every penny. A sophisticated hotel for couples rather than families.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WayneMitchell
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Hotel Toiras and wefound it to be just what we wanted. The rooms were pretty and comfortable and we found the staff courteous and helpful. The turn down service happened when we weren't there and since it was so warm I apreciated having clean dry towels at the start and the end of the day. One morning we came back for something we'd forgotten after about an hour and the staff were in our room - I thought that they seemed nice and didn't seem to be in any rush for us to move on.

The comments about the cost of breakfast are spot on - we ate in the harbour for much less. I did find some information about meals in the beautful little books left in our room (They looked hand drawn, but I'm sure they can't have been - it would have taken weeks to do). However, I wouldn't normally eat in the hotel where I'm staying on a short break - I prefer to get out and see the place.

Our room looked out into their private courtyard and we had no view of the harbour. On the other hand, we spent plenty of time in the harbour eating, shopping and strolling around, so I appreciated the quiet and the feeling of being away from the bustle and crowds. To go from the middle of the harbour to an oasis of calm was very pleasant. From a security point of view, I liked the fact that you had to get in through the hotel - I left my iPod charging when I went out, something I wouldn't normally do in a hotel.

So, we had a really lovely time at Toiras and I would happily stay there again. I agree that the breakfast and mini bar were over-expensive, but to me the point of booking with expedia is to get the breakfast cost removed and then go out to find somewhere else cheaper - with the real pleasure being the exploring.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Saint Martin de Re
Hotel Le Richelieu
Hotel Le Richelieu
#1 of 7 in La Flotte

Been to Hotel de Toiras? Share your experiences!