“Great views, average and expensive meal”
Review of Hotel Cesar

Hotel Cesar
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bonnieux
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We did not stay at the hotel, only had lunch at the restaurant. Admittedly, we turned up on the late side of lunch and at first the owner told us he couldn't take us even though there appeared to be space. I wondered if he simply didn't like the looks of us. It was raining outside (I thought the sun always shIned in Provence!) and he recommended another restaurant down the hill after I asked for a recommendation, but we had just come from there, uninspired. I guess he took pity on us and accepted to allow us to stay for lunch, which was certainly appreciated. The views from the dining area are fabulous, even on a grayish day. We found the prices to be very high and the portions very small. For example, a shrimp starter with four shrimp in some sauce cost 19 Euros. The food was good but not particularly memorable, like some other fabulous meals we'd had in Provence. The service was efficient. The owner told us he has his sights on opening up a business with French wines in New York or California. I suppose with the prices he charges, he can afford to do so. Bonnieux is nice but an expensive place in general judging by the nearby boutiques that had scarves for several hundred dollars. There are so many other villages that I prefer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 May 2014

After reading some of these reviews we booked with some trepidation. However we were very happy with our weekend stay.
We had room 14, 2nd floor, with a terrace and the amazing view. The bathroom looked new, no shower curtain, sliding glass and multi-jet shower.
We had superb meal in the restaurant which the charming patron told us was cooked by his wife.
The setting sun gave us a magical pink sky and a glow from Lacoste on the opposite side of the valley.
I would recommend this place but suggest a small suitcase for the climb up the stairs..remember Bonnieux is an old village with old buildings and the sun shines there too !

Room Tip: Room 14 has a terrace and whizz bang shower but many steps.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamtarte
Reviewed 27 January 2014

It's hard to believe that a hotel with an incredible panoramic view of half of the Luberon could be such a less-than-memorable place to stay. With views that should make this place a "must" on every travelers agenda, this hotel is totally lacking any warmth, charm or hospitality. It's hard to imagine that someone would chose to be in the hospitality business if they don't like interacting with people, but that seems to be exactly the case with the owner of L'Hotel Cesar. He was surly and cold at every interaction that we had with him from check-in to check-out.

But then there are the views.....We were fortunate enough to have a room with a terrace looking out at the entire Luberon valley–quite breathtaking. As long as you stayed on the balcony you felt like you were truly somewhere very special. The rooms themselves are basic, perhaps spartan, but then the rates are very low for Provence in the height of the summer season. I found myself trying to make excuses for this place because I found the views so exceptional.
The bathrooms were like something you would find in a cheap motor hotel: a shower curtain that was moldy and brown, drain missing from the shower, and an electrical outlet to the toilet right in the midst of all the water spray from the shower. Exceptional!

I kept thinking of the views. We were very tired from a long day of cycling, especially the hill up to Bonnieux from the valley, so we decided to have dinner at the hotel, rated two pots by Logis. We found dinner uninspiring, ordinary and expensive. The dining room also overlooked the gorgeous Luberon hills, but unfortunately the setting sun was so bright and shining in the eyes of the people in the dining room that no one could enjoy the view.

With it's premier location, this hotel should be the most popular hotel in town. Unfortunately it has been allowed to become rundown, and lacks even a miniscule amount of charm. Would I stay here again: no. Should you? If you can secure a room with a balcony, have no interaction with the owner, bring shower shoes to wear in the shower, don't eat in the restaurant, and have no other options, possibly yes. At least you will enjoy the fantastic scenery that this hotel offers. If you are looking for a charming Provencal experience, look elsewhere!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank maggielacoste
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Cheap hostel of a lower class that outragiosly sells as a 3-star hotel. The rooms haven't been renovated for the last 30 years or so. The internet is regularly down and you have to hunt for the owner to restart the router since no other staff is authorized to do such complicated task. The owner himself is not overly friendly either. The day before we booked a room there I asked to see one of the rooms. The hotel was totally empty but he lied that all rooms are occupied - he probably knew that we won't proceed with the reservation once we've seen the rooms. The equipment in the bathroom is dysfunctional - hot water stopped running in the middle of the shower. The flush in the toilet doesn't work properly either. The room stinks of elderly house or a refuge for alcoholics. All in all only the view partly saves the place. But it should never cost unbelievable 85 euro.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Alexander S
Reviewed 20 October 2013

From the minute we arrived the owner was quite offhand with us. We entered the accommodation past the grimy stair carpet up to our rooms. The balconies had mouldy cushioning on the chairs, one of our two rooms had a shower and shower curtain that was so grimy that we couldn't use it......the views may be nice but I would rather have stayed elsewhere with an inferior view! Good luck if you stay here! If you'd like photos just ask!

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank therunners055
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We loved our experience at Hotel Cesar. We had plenty of space and a spacious bathroom for three. Myself and my two (young adult) children. We had breakfast for a nominal charge each of our 4 mornings. We ate dinner (reservations recommended by staff, although it was never full) the first evening, we would definitely have eaten there again, but of course we like to experience more than one restaurant! But to dine here is a must. First rate gourmet multiple course meal. Probably one of the best meals during our entire time in France!
My only gripe was the lack of friendliness from the owner/managers (we did have a delightful young man serve us in restaurant). They didn't try to carry a conversation or send a smile our way... unfortunate, but not enough that we wouldn't return or recommend the hotel. We loved Bonnieux!

Room Tip: We had three adults so we had booked the room that sleeps 3. It has a queen bed and a single bed. Th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda J
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We tried to stay there last Thursday, as Bonnieux and their location is superb. 1st problem: the woman at the desk couldn't tell if there was a room available. It took her 25min to figure out: yes, there's one last room left. The waiting time was nerve wrecking, as the problem was her unability to handle the computer. She then showed the room, I decided on the spot to take it immediately. Done deal, or so I thought... Back to the desk again, she couldn't handle the credit card for the prepay. Another 10min wasted. So I wrote down the number and details for her and went to get the car with luggage. As I pulled up in front of the hotel, she came out again, told me that her boss had told her that she couldn't rent the room to us. No apology, just generally a "[--] off". I always thought a deal is a deal, isn't it? And this deal was done before they broke it. The whole drama stole almost an hour of our precious vacation time on a wonderful afternoon, which we could have spent differently (even looking for another place to stay). Poor management, poor treatment of customers - I have never ever experiened such unprofessional behaviour and I will never go there again to spend a night. Other venues have great views too and they won't steal your time and kick you out after a done deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Blacksilver2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnieux
Domaine de Capelongue
Le Clos D'Estellan
Le Clos D'Estellan
#14 of 15 in Bonnieux
Residence Odalys Les 4 Soleils

Been to Hotel Cesar? Share your experiences!