“Good hotel, well placed on the slopes”
Review of Hotel Alpen Ruitor

Hotel Alpen Ruitor
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Meribel
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed here for a week's ski holiday on my own in March. Booked through an agent at short notice and I was pleased with the hotel and holiday. The staff were very helpful, meals were very good and the hotel is well placed right on the slopes. I would go back again and although the prices are on the high side this is a reflection of the quality of the hotel and the service.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 May 2012

The best things about our stay here:

1. Location - The gondolas and lifts to access all 3 valleys are right outside the hotel (the closest one is 20 yards away, the farthest about 50 yards). In fact, you can be on top of Saulire and skiing Creux a couple of times, before the Courchevel crowd even arrives. (DO ski Creux, it's amazing!)
- There are plenty of shops, ski rentals and restaurants just outside. Although we drove into Meribel for dinner once (10 minutes by car), we didn't feel it was worth it. The Mottaret restaurants are better - try La Belle Savoie!

2. Comfort - Our room was very quiet at night, even though the hotel was full. The bathroom is huge and luxurious. The bed was comfortable, and consists of two (wide) single mattresses pushed together. We wanted more heat in our room (we prefer 75 F), and they gave us an electric heater, which was perfect. We chose a valley view room, b/c we were concerned about the noise for rooms facing the slopes. As it turns out, the bars and restaurants just outside the slope-side rooms are really quiet after 10pm. However, the snow groomers do make a horrible rumble. So if noise is an issue for you, go with a valley view room and save a few bucks in the process.

3. Service - This is one of the best managed hotels we've ever been in. People CARE. For example, one time I used a hand towel as a shower sponge. The next day, we were provided with two of those towel gloves that are made especially for that purpose. They gave us a complimentary cake upon arrival, complimentary candy upon check-out, not to mention a great selection of fruit candy in the room each day. Plus a welcome party with nice hors d'oeuvres and drinks. The breakfast buffet was very generous - can't beat those French-made croissants! Most staff speaks English.

4. Flexibility - Normally, hotels in the area only do Sat.-to-Sat. reservations, but we managed to get a Mon.-to-Sun. (which basically straddled two series). However, we did this via Expedia, not the hotel website (which wouldn't allow it). Still, they honored everything we booked on Expedia.

The negatives:

1. The rooms are fairly small. Storage for clothes is in a narrow hallway, and only one person can be there at a time.

2. They still don't have a spa, b/c they didn't get the approvals in time for the 2012 season. The manager told us they are sure to have a spa in 2013. They give complimentary tickets for the spa center in Meribel - the views from its relaxation room are worth a visit! - but it's a bit inconvenient. (Btw, avoid the pool in Meribel's olympic center - it's small, crowded, shallow, the changing rooms are dirty, the showers have no privacy, including from the other gender, and the personnel is extremely unpleasant. Plus they passed this cooky law in France that men HAVE to wear speedos, not trunks - so yeah. 'Nuff said.)

Overall, we loved our stay at Alpen Ruitor, and have already recommended it to others.

Room Tip: Go with a valley view room. It's more quiet, and cheaper.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank megajo29
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My partner and I spent a week on a half board basis at Hotel Alpen Ruitor in Merribel-Mottaret during the last week on January 2012. We occupied a standard room. We could not fault this hotel; the location could not be more central in Motterat yet it is quite and peaceful. We enjoyed a valley view from our room. The staff were invariably helpful and friendly. The food is exceptional. The meals were generally four courses including cheese and dessert and the ingredients and cooking was superb. The complimentary wi-fi in the room and lounge area was fast and efficient. The staff were happy to print documents as required for a small fee; this allowed my partner and I to attend to business needs without hassel.
The central ski lift point together with the ski ticket office and brilliant ski school (EFS) were within a few meters away. The area also provided great restaurants / cafes and well stocked delicatessen and supermarket within walking distance (10 - 20 meters away).
We love this area and the hotel!

Room Tip: We chose the slightly less expensive valley room (the other side faces uphill - towards to lifts and...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erin P
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Location - the best, easy for skiing and for those who has kids to learn in the kid`s club or with the instructor.
Atmosphere - warm, very warm, cosy, good decor, more Austrian then French.
Rooms - big, well-equipped, with perfect bathroom.
Food - nice breakfast, the dinner is fantastic, Chef Mario does great job. Very various dishes. But reserve table in advance, cause there not enough place at the restaurant.
Stuff - very helpful, the General Manager Ophelie (if I`m not mistaken) is a real professional.
Highly recommended place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mazmanyan_FA
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We stayed for three nights in March 2009. The hotel could not be better situated in Meribel Mottaret, just next to the main lifts that will take you up both sides of the valley. There are a few nice shops just outside, including a small-ish supermarket and a great pizza restaurant (one of the best pizzas I've had). Being central in the Three Valleys allows you to explore better than you could if you stayed to one side, for example in Couchevel 1650.

The hotel is lovely. It is decorated in an alpine style and all of the staff wear traditional dress. The rooms are clean and attractive; ours had just been done up. There has been a lot of attention to detail. The bathroom was large and there was plenty of storage. The website does not do the hotel justice.

The food was great. The inclusive dinner is very good value and you get a choice of two dishes for most courses. Breakfast also had a lot of variety.

My only criticism is that, having been skiing all day, it would be nice to come back and be able to watch a bit of English TV in the room. There is a TV with an English news channel and an English language DVD is played each day, but that is about it. Perhaps I should have brought more books...

I would recommend this hotel, and we are planning to go back next year.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Londontripadviser
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed at Alpenruitor by myself on a B&B basis as I had friends in Meribel to have dinner with. The location of the hotel was very nice - you just need to carry your skies for 15 meters from your ski locker to put them on. The room was not spacious, but was sufficient to comfortably stay in. My room faced the slope and had a wide balcony where you could sit to watch skiers closely in the warm sunshine. The bathroom was clean, warm, well-equipped, and always provided lot of hot water. Breakfast is OK. If you are expecting to have bread right out of oven, it would be a little dissappointment. I would recommend to have fruits as there were a variety of those. Receptionists and bell boys were very nice and always tried to willingly help guests. Overall my stay there was very comfortable and pleasant, and was worth 335 euros per day. Perhaps the only dissappointment was a front manager who told me to walk to the tourist office to make a return transport confirmation when I asked her to do so by phone on my behalf. When I went to the tourist office after I talked to her, the staff there told me that the transportation desk was closed every Tuesday and I had to come back tomorrow to confirm the reservation. As the tourist office staff said, she should have known the desk was not open on that day, but she did not tell me. I hope she will learn to better serve her guests so that I could have a more pleasant stay at Alpenruitor at the next time.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Littlebee5
Reviewed 28 March 2008

The Alpen Ruitor is well located in the heart of Meribel Mottaret which is at a higher altitude than the Meribel village. This means that you are well positioned to step straight on to the lifts to ski Meribel, or to go to Val Thorens or Courchevel. It also means that the snow is better. A great hotel for couples or families. Creperies, chemist and ski shops on your doorstep means that no visit to the village below is required. Not for the apres ski crowd but we were happy about this. Rooms are folksy French and very comfortable - ours faced the slopes and was wonderfully sunny. Half board is included - breakfast was great, dinner was limited in choice and sometimes good, sometimes not so good. The house golden retriever dog was delightful. The front desk staff extremely heplful at all times, including helping us on departure carry bags to the bus at 7am. All in all a good stay and a good hotel

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank happydaysSydney
AlpenRuitor, Hotel Director at Hotel Alpen Ruitor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2008

We would like to thank you for your comment and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our House.
For yourself and all our future guests, please note that the winter 2008/2009 is full of novelties to discover...
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.