“Virginia Hotel”

Residence Inn Newport News Airport
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The hotel was nice and modern. They accomodated our request to change out check in date and even upgraded our room at no charge. The room was clean eventhough not to my standards. The oven was dirty from the last guests and I guess housekeeping didn't notice. We fixed the tray in the fridge which was inserted backwards and a lamp was broken but replaced ASAP. The beds are too soft though. There was not enough personnel at the front desk when we complained that the pool was overrun by a dozen unsupervised tweens. But overall a good place for a large family with children. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you for you review about your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with my staff about the room not being cleaned properly and I can assure you this will not happen again. Overall Im glad you did enjoy your stay and I hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again. Thank you

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel with family to celebrate my sister's birthday. Initially it was 3 in the room then 4 with absolutely no feeling of being overcrowded. The rooms are well appointed. It's a studio apartment. The lobby and sitting areas are beautiful and comfortable, decor is inviting. The staff was a pleasure, their no hassle approach was refreshing. The Bed was comfortable and Breakfast was beyond continental. Restaurants are within walking distance. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jest21

You have made our day, thank you so much for posting a review in regards to your recent stay with us during your sister's birthday. It really means a lot to me and my staff. I have post your review in our breakroom for everyone to see. I hope you will visit again soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We went there for a family reunion in the beginning of July. The hotel is very nice and very spacious, we had a full kitchen and living room space separated from the bedroom and bathroom with 2 flat screen tvs. They also have small indoor pool, a full size basketball court outside and lots of parking for guests. Included in your stay is breakfast buffet with cereals, make your own waffles, bagels, toast and also hot foods such as sausage, eggs, pancakes, french toast etc. The breakfast was very good and displayed nicley with staff filling up all the time and willing to help with anything. The room itself was very clean and the maid service cleaned well everyday. The things that made me not give this hotel a full 5 stars is : the bed is soft or "soggy" as I like to call it, I like beds with some firmness, so my sleep was not the best and most relaxing. Also I requested online and over the phone for extra towels and we found ourselves having to reuse towels because we didn't have enough. Also the air in the room seemed like it stopped working and it was in the high 90's that weekend- so that was uncomfortable, we told the front desk and someone fixed it. It wasn't the coolest in the room, but it wasn't bad. The hotel is also located next to a bunch of restaurants and a mall nearby- it was very centrally located. All in all a good stay in a nice hotel.

Room Tip: corner suites are large
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kkcarter1

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are so glad your enjoyed your stay with us and glad you had a great time for you reunion. We are having a very hot summer and I do apolize that your room was not the coolest, I can understand how frustrating that must of been for you. Again thank you so much for you your review.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel 3 or 4 times before. It has always been good experience so far. Last time we stayed in April 2012 over the Easter Holiday. The hotel was very busy and fully booked, that may have explained the problems we encountered. The suite was not properly cleaned- spots on mirrors, sticky floors, leftover food in the freezer. As one guest noticed, extra sheets for pull-out bed were missing as well were kitchen utensils. It is a common problem with utensils and glassware- there were only a couple of forks, a couple of glasses and spoons left. The pool was clean and plenty of towels there. The manager and staff were pleasant and helpful in our situation. One more thing, there were people hanging out at the side entrance of the hotel that were not guests. It seems that teenagers from the neighboring townhouses use this area to play basketball at the outside court as well as just hang out. They were constantly at the side door-sitting on the steps. We did not encounter any problems but I would not recommend use of the side entrance at night.

Room Tip: do not choose ground floor or close to stairs
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Thomas C
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The hotel was pretty good and quiet, I'd give it 4.5 stars and would definitely recommend it. It's close to Williamsburg VA, and the location is good cause it has a couple of restaurants nearby and a shopping mall. There is also a Walmart and Sam's Club nearby.

The room was nice and clean, full kitchen, 2 TVs, bed kind of soft, can't complain at all. Breakfast was included and it was definitely worth it: scrambled eggs, sausage, wedge potatoes, pancakes, waffles, cereals, juice, milk, oatmeal, fruits, bread, yogurts and muffins. Good stuff.

Can't comment on the exercise facilities or business center since I did not use it.

The reason I give the stay 4.5 instead of 5 is because I requested extra towels and was told by the front desk I would receive them. I'm still waiting for those towels. Also, I wasn't given any information regarding their internet access when I checked in. For example, is there a password required, what's the name of the network, etc.

Anyway nothing too bad, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce W
Reviewed 30 May 2012

As a long term guest (>14 days) there are a few things I have noticed that I may have missed in the short term:
1. Cold, day old coffee at 5 am. Terrible way to start the day.
2. Several key card readers inoperable for several days. Many reported to the staff. Door to gym does not lock, allowing access to young children on their way to the pool.
3. All exercise machines look new, but operate like they are years old (clunky, heart rate monitors inoperable, etc...)
4. Pool/gym almost never has towels
5. Business center computers are useless when trying to use the internet. It took several redirects through ad type websites and a few work arounds just to get to trip advisor and write this.
6. In 2 different rooms, there was no sheets for the pullout bed available in room.
The manager and staff are cordial and helpful in our situation, but I would not recommend for a long term stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JThomasS
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We spent one night at this hotel on our way down to the Outer Banks from the DC area. It made a good mid-way point on a Friday night. Hotel is right off of Highway 64 -- convenient, yet you do not have any highway traffic. It's location is nice; tucked away at the back of cul-de-sac with a variety of hotels and restaurants, and across a main road from the Patrick Henry Mall.

Hotel was completely full on the night we stayed, with many groups/families on their ways to the beaches. We had a one-bedroom suite on the first floor, facing the back parking lot. I would definitely recommend facing the rear of the hotel, as the noise is less.

Room was very nice and the hotel is in excellent condition. Beds were a bit soft, but no big complaints. While we could hear noise from the room above us, that was more the case of people letting their kids run. Still, the level was low and did not go late into the night.

Breakfast was very nice and they do a very nice job of handling the large crowds. Food was changed often and tables were immediately cleaned and made ready for more guests.

Overall, I would give this Residence Inn a high rating. It has a good location, is reasonably quiet, and the breakfast was quite nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the rear parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family