“Great hotel, highly recommend”

Residence Inn Newport News Airport
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Newport News, Virginia
“Great hotel, highly recommend”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before on business and enjoyed it so I decided to take my family here for a relaxing weekend. My son had a small issue but the staff went above and beyond to fix it. Everyone working there was polite and you really felt that they cared about you and your stay especially Thomas and Rebecca. The breakfast was great and the rooms were very clean and modern. The pool was indoor so we used it and loved it, even though there was snow outside. We will definantly be comming back here and I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have fireplaces which is nice during the cold months.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kyle2007
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Hello Kyle 2007,

Thank so you much for your kind review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you son is feeling better Wel look forward to seeing you again soon. Don't forget to email me when you want to come back so I can put your reservation in for you. I have shared you comments with my staff and thank you also for the kind words about Thomas, it really means a lot to everyone.

Rebecca Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel during the week. Its located off the main road and though near and airport it was very quiet. The decor in the lobby and rooms is modern. All of the employees were friendly and warm. The front desk girls are very informative about local attractions, places to eat and restaurants. The breakfast was hot and full of variety. The women who worked it are also very good at what they do. My room was clean. It was fully equipped with everything needed to cook and eat. I only wish I could have had more time to use the stuff. Overall the hotel is welcoming, friendly and clean. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leslie G
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Hello Leslie G,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay. Our Team strives to make sure that every guest has the best stay while visiting with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Dancey Harvey
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend and we had a very good time. Staff was wonderful, clean rooms with kitchens , great breakfast and big lobby area. We come to the area a lot because my daughter attends college in the area and by far this is the best hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Hello Gingerpi!

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for your wonderful review it really means a lot to our staff. We hope if you are in the area gain which Im sure you will be with your daughter in college in the area that you make your next reservation with us. We would love to be your home away from home on your next visit. See you soon!

Danacey Harvey
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Residence Inns are my favorite hotels and this was my first stay at this one. It is a very short drive from the Newport News airport, interstate, stores and restaurants. There is ample parking. This is an upscale Residence Inn with a very large lounge area. Checking in was very professional and seamless - no issues there whatsoever. My room was furnished with very upscale and professional furniture. The downers were the office chair was clearly in need of replacement - it was worn on the seat such that a large portion of the seat was white (chair upholstery was otherwise black). Then I found out the disposal wasn't working - unfortunately, you typically don't learn this until you are trying to use and then it is too late to do anything about it. I tried the Manager's social one evening when they were serving pepper steak. It looked great and I was the only one there - turns out, everyone else must have known something. The food was not good - the meat was fatty and had a metallic taste, the peppers were overcooked to the point of being nearly mush. They did serve Dr Pepper on tap, which was great - haven't seen that before at Residence Inn. The hotel was always immaculate and the employees were generally friendly. The view I had from window was of a trailer park. Not a bad hotel at all - but didn't quite live up to the high standards I've come to expect from Residence Inn. I hope to get another chance to stay there to see if my few downers were an aberration or a trend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Hello Patrick H,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Feedback from our loyal guest really means a lot to us. I have shared your comments with Department Leaders and staff. We are pleased to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay. We are making it a priority to address your "few downers" to ensure in the future these issues don't become a trend. Here at the Residence Inn we strive for excellence and we hope that when you are in town again you give us another chance to exceed you expectations.
Thanks,
Danacey Harvey
Huntingtown, Maryland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have never stayed at any Marriott property where it was not immaculate, comfortable and you could rest assured that things were clean. This property did not live up to my ideals for Marriott. Tub drains, sink drains were so slow you could grow a beard waiting for the water to recede. There was hair evident in the shower. The coup de grace were the filthy sheets with hair everywhere at 12:15 AM as we had hoped to crawl into bed. That toasted it and we called the desk for fresh sheets and informed them we would be checking out in the morning cutting short a two night stay.

In the interest of brevity I can only say this property needs help in housekeeping. If Mr. Marriott had stayed here this night, it would have lost that name immediately.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank William I
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Hello William I,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during you stay and also that you had to leave us due to this issue. Again I know we have been speaking through customer care with Diane and Im glad that we could get this resloved for you and again I am very sorry and we can assure you that we are doing everything to improve and to make sure that this does not happen to another guest. We have a great hotel, great staff so there was no reason for this to happen at all during your stay. I hope if you are in the area again you will call me so that you can give us another chance.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel over the holidays and had amazing time. Breakfast was above and beyond, rooms were so spacious I was pleasantly surprised to have a full kitchen and fireplace. Staff was friendly, easy check in, housekeeping was on point. I will for sure visit this hotel again!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank OneStep0302
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014

We appreciate your comments in regards to your recent visit during the Holidays and glad that your expectations were met. I too love the Fireplace rooms, it just gives that added touch of being at home especially this time of year. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Rebecca Jones
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here during the Christmas Holiday and I can say it was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Lobby was festive and all the staff was very friendly and always making sure we had everything we needed. Room was very clean and the housekeeper who cleaned are room always left extra ammenities and she always had a smile on her face. I cant wait to come back to this hotel soon.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eagels67
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello Eagles 67,

We really do appreciate your comments! They really mean a lot to our staff, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love to hear feed back from our guest so we can always provide the exceptional service! Thank you