“Amazing Surprise”

The Mariners' Museum & Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mariners' Museum, America's National Maritime Museum, includes the USS Monitor Center, home to the Civil War Ironclad's iconic gun turret. The Museum has over 35,000 maritime artifacts, including ship models, paintings and small craft. Located on a 550-acre park, they also feature a 5-mile hiking trail and paddleboat rentals.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The museum is huge, much bigger than we thought. We learned a lot about VA that were didn't know. The 3D movie was good, the small boat craft display was also very interesting and had some ships/boats I never knew exhausted. The volunteer staff went above and beyond and the man making scale ships was amazing. Well worth the money spent.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"chesapeake bay"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 18 July 2014

There is much for kids and adults at this place, and seeing parts of the actual Monitor was a treat! The guides there were very helpful, and I actually liked the D-Day movie that was included with the price. (Many of these "theater" presentations are "meh", at best.) The displays were interesting and informative. You can stay mostly indoors on a rainy day, or walk the paths outside on a sunny day. Worth the trip there!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

There is a lot to do at this museum. We went for half a day but could have used more time. The most interesting exhibits for us was the Monitor. A must do for those who love boats and maritime stuff.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Wow, what a lot of information to take in. Definitely worth the visit for anyone interested in maritime history and memorabilia. The admission fee is well worth it without a doubt. One gallery, that pertaining to the USS Monitor, that fascinated me with the presentation and detail of information. Much of the history of the famous battle I was aware of already, but to actually see, and in one case be able to touch history was more than I was expecting. We spent four hours in this gallery alone. We had to rush through the other exhibit halls because of time constraints but we intend to return when we are in the area in the future.

If you have any interest in maritime history at all, don't miss this gem.

1  Thank Wizzard_Man
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I had heard so many accolades from "locals", felt like it was a "must" to visit. Unfortunately It was mid afternoon when I arrived. I had to rush to get it all in and I could have easily spent a full day there. Everything was presented very well with several movie theaters and displays. I saw the Monitor vs Merrimack battle and was fascinate, very well presented. The actual turrent from the Monitor was there submerged in a large vat where current was being introduced gently to clean it without damaging it. A full scale excellent mock up was on display though. Many displays could be operated by pressing a button so you could see a WWII torpedo and ancient steam engines work with a spoken explanation. I could take many pages to give proper acclaim to this magnificent museum but better you should make every effort to see it!