“Excellent stay...”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband, 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for two nights. The place was easy to find, plenty of parking. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Polite staff, clean entryway, dining area was very nice, as was the sitting area outside. We didn't have a chance to use the pool but did take the time to take a look around. The workout room and pool area were clean and inviting. We purchased some fresh fruit items at the 'Bistro' food area, which was a nice bonus. The room was clean, large, plenty of space for the three of us without feeling cramped. We booked a queen suite with the bedroom and sitting room separated. The only reason I did not give a five star rating is because the bathroom fan (if there was one?) did not come on, no separate switch, and with the three of us using the shower, plus the humidity in Virginia that week, we thought there should have been a better venting system. Otherwise, the staff was friendly, polite and the facilities were well kept! We will definitely stay here again when visiting Virginia!

Room Tip: Don't let the fact that this place is located near the airport keep you from staying here, noise...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for providing this very valuable feedback regarding your recent visit! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations with us and our facility met your needs. I will share this feedback with my staff and I will commend them for a job well done! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 21 May 2012

The person on the desk when we arrived was terrible. When you work the desk YOU are the first impression of the hotel. The young woman who checked us in acted like we were bothering her by checking in. Never once did she smile, say hello or have a nice day. These little pleasantries go a long way towards making you feel welcome. I did not care for the Bistro, we waited 35 minutes to get 2 cups of soup, a muffin and a sandwich and the cost was $25.00. Rooms were comfortable but the staff left a lot to be desired.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pmbushey

Dear 'PMBUSHEY',
Thank you for taking the time to provide this very valuable feedback. It our goal to provide our guests excellent customer service and a memorable stay. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not the level of service that one would expect from a Marriott facility and I assure you this does not represent our true spirit to serve. I will share this feedback with my staff so that we can continue to improve and prevent this from happening in the future. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope that you will consider visitng us again if you are in the area.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed 1 night recently as part of a group reservation. Check-in was quick and seamless for all of us. Room was clean, quiet and well appointed. Memory foam style mattress was very comfortable. Large, tile shower with glass door, granite counters, and all the usual amenities. Indoor heated pool and spa (spa under repair during my stay) was clean and about as you'd expect. Fitness facility includes 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, free weights, all modern and in good condition. Lobby/restaurant/bar area is clean and spacious. Location is convenient, across from Patrick Henry Mall with the usual assortment of restaurants and stores often found near malls.

I found nothing to dislike (except the spa being unavailable at the time) and would gladly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear 'TopofTXtraveler',

Thank you for choosing the Newport News Airport Courtyard for your travel accommodations. I appreciate your business and I am glad that you took this opportunity to provide this very valuable feedback. It is our goal to meet and exceed your expectations and I am thrilled to see that we did. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

...I probably would have rated it higher. This is a fairly new property with the "new" Courtyard lobby and decor. When I first got to my room, it had a musty smell ("hadn't been used in a while", I thought) and I figured the A/C would take care of it. It didn't.

The room decor was sleek and modern but the only closet was a tiny armoire built in to the work desk/TV assembly. The armoire was too small to hang anything more than a couple of days clothes for one person. The flat screen TV had 60-ish channels available (essentially full basic cable) but none of them were in Hi-Def. Ironically, the little TVs built in to the treadmills in the exercise room _did_ get Hi-Def channels. There was complimentary wired and wireless Internet and the wired speed was pretty good even during peak evenings.

The hotel has the new Courtyard "Bistro" restaurant, which I used for breakfast and found it OK. I still prefer the old Courtyard breakfast buffet, however. The Bistro has a bar and light meal service in the evenings but there is one twist at this property - you cannot order from the bar and take it back to your room like you can at almost every other hotel out there. They claim this is due to local laws and there are signs at the elevator ("No Alcoholic Beverages Past This Point") to remind guests. Luckily the area is very near Jefferson Ave. where many restaurant chains are available and there are a couple of restaurants about a block away.

If I had to return to the area, I'm not sure this would be my first choice. In any event, I would check out the room for odors first.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 4959keeton
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent hotel stay at the Newport News Airport Courtyard. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. It is always our ultimate goal to ensure our guests have an exceptional stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies and rest assured I will use this instance as a learning experience so that we can continue to improve. I appreciate your business and your feedback and hope that you visit us again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I had reservations for two nights in April. Only twenty minutes to Busch Gardens and location was near restaurants and stores. The hotel is modern and very clean...I loved it.

1  Thank sleeknclean

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your experience at the Newport News Airport Courtyard by Marriott! I am happy to hear that your stay was everything that you expected. Our team here is fully committed to taking great care of our guests and it is very rewarding to share this feedback with them. On behalf of the Newport News Airport Courtyard, we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I Arrived very late at night with my wife and a little child, just to discover that my room had been given to someone else (I had reserved many days before for 2 adults and 1 child, 2 nights). The person at front desk assigned me a room for handicapped, but there were only one king bed, so he promised me he could find another little bed. He realized he could not a while later, so he gave me another room with 2 queen beds and we had to move from one room to another. This means that I arrived at 0145AM, and I reached my final room at 0230AM.
The following morning I left the room at 0915AM, and nobody cleaned up it. So I asked to speak with the General Manager: the person at the front desk told me she was not present, but she promised she would call me. I never received any call, of course. I am a Marriott reward Member and I will go on using Marriott, but not this!!

Room Tip: Use another hotel!!
1  Thank Silvia M

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us regarding your recent stay. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations this visit and I would love to further discuss this with you at your convenience. I will share this instance with the team here and use this as a learning experience so that we can continue to improve. We hope that you will return to the Newport News Airport Courtyard if you are in the Newport News area again.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Save your money and try another hotel. There are approximately five other hotels within less than a mile of this hotel and this hotel is by far the most expensive. We normally stay at our personal favorite, Hampton Inn, but decided to splurge for this one visit. We thought maybe we would become fans of Courtyard by Marriott but unfortunately, this was not the case.
The hotel is nice and clean but definitely not worth the almost double of neighboring hotels.
First, the Bistro is simply a kiosk in the middle of the hotel lobby where you order your food, are given a number sign and then wait at a table for the food to be delivered.
Second, there is no room service. This means in order to get your food you have to go down to the hotel lobby to order and receive it. This is very inconvenient.
Next, the layout of the queen suite is not practical at all. We went with the bigger suite (of course more money) thinking that our teenage children could watch a tv in the living area and we could watch a tv in the bedroom area. Unfortunately, the two tvs are only a few feet apart and could not both be watched at the same time because neither group could hear their own tv. Therefore, we decided to order a movie to watch all together. No....there is no pay preview. Almost all hotels have that service on their tv's.
Also, be advised that the bathroom shown on the website as a "guest bathroom" is not actually the bathroom in the suite.
Another incorrect photo on the website is the photo of the pool. The website shows upgraded pool furniture in the pool area when in reality, it is the same plastic type chairs that most pools have.
I am not saying this is not a nice hotel. The staff was remarkable. No complaints there.
It is just given the state of the current economy (our family is suffering as well) we all need to watch our dollars and this was not worth the exorbitant price charged. Again the website pumps up the hotel more than it really is. Save your money. Spend it on a nice dinner out.

1  Thank Victoria429

Thank you for providing this valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to the Newport News Airport Courtyard by Marriott. I am truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that we have caused. I would love the opportunity to further discuss this further with you so that I can clarify things further for you. You may contact me at the hotel at 757-842-6212. In the mean time I will share this feedback with the team and use this as a learning experience so that we can improve our service. I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to better serve you again if you are in the Newport News area again.