“Don't expect the "little" extras”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very nice hotel. clean with a very friendly staff. Shower was great but leaked all over the floor. Maintenance was unable to fix it during our two day stay. Only food available was pre-made microwave food from a kiosk in the lobby. Tiny one cup coffee maker in the room made coffee that tasted like it was brewed through dirty socks. No Gratis coffee in the lobby here, only Starbucks premium price coffee was available. C'mon Marriot please let us choose to patronize starbucks not make us! Set up a standard coffee pot in the lobby!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank soboms
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Soboms,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me during your stay here at the Courtyard Marriott Newport News.

Please accept my apologies concerning your shower, I have addressed this with my Engineering team and I am sure that upon your next return you will not incur this again.

In regards to complimentary coffee in the lobby, Marriott International approved as a standard with all Courtyards, that we are not permitted to serve complimentary coffee in our lobby. Some Courtyards are in compliance with this standard and some are not. My hotel recognizes Marriott International standards; we are 100% compliant with Marriott standards.

In January 2014, it will be mandatory that all Courtyards by Marriott are not permitted to serve coffee in their lobby complimentary. We certainly appreciate your comments and realize that this is a change; but as we improve our service standards from all aspects we want to stay compliant with the standards.

However, I do want you to know that you have been heard.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to have you be our guest in the very near future.

Take care and be safe in your travels!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Awesome help from some awesome people. Jenny M. at the front desk was able to go back into their records from a month ago to pull a much needed receipt. This saved me big time! Very helpful and nice to talk to- thanks Jenny!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Wayne,

Thank you for those kind words about my Assistant General Manager. She is truly an asset to our team! I'm glad that she was able to assist you in your time of need. If you ever need assistance or wish to visit us again, just give us a call!

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The hotel is a standard new-concept Marriott Courtyard. Nice sized rooms, lots of working space downstairs by the lobby, breakfast bar downstairs that sells hot/cold breakfast and Starbucks coffee.
The rooms were clean but they kept forgetting (?) to stock it with shampoo/conditioner/lotion. I asked for the stuff at the front desk but they were out there too and had to have someone deliver it to my room. This happened 2 days in a row.
Bed was OK, not as comfortable as the one at Newport News Marriott.
The staff at the front desk and the floor service folks were friendly and professional. The breakfast barrista was friendly but seemed out of her element. She kept running back and forth to the kitchen during the peak breakfast time (6:30am-7:30am) leaving a line of guests waiting to get their coffee/pastries, she just seemed like she couldn't get it together. Worse: she looked like she had just rolled out of bed herself, unkempt hair spilling out of her multiple hair clips, frazzled look. I didn't see anything that would explain or justify such appearance or level of service (i.e., nobody seemed to be rushing or harassing her).
I prefer the Newport News Marriott hotel to this Courtyard, especially since I can get to the concierge level, but there were no rooms available during this past trip. Next time I'll try the Residence Inn next door.

Plus: Hotel location close to several restaurants (walking distance) so many food options.
Minus: Barrista's level of service and appearance.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank houstonturtle
Jenny M, AGM at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News, houstonturtle!
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We value your comments as a learning tool to help us grow everyday as a great hotel. Your comments will be shared with our Team. We are sorry that we fell short on several occasions during your stay. We are committed to always providing our guests with great customer service they've come to expect from Marriott Hotels, and every piece of feedback helps us to achieve that goal. We hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to the Newport News area.
Happy Travels!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel; it was very reasonably priced, has great facilities and amenities, modern looking room and bathroom. I was even offered a breakfast coupon for my stay. I would say it's the best hotel in its price range.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News!
Thank you for you kind comments regarding your recent stay.We strive everyday to offer our guests with great service and a great room. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be your number one lodging choice in Newport News should your travels bring you back to our area!
Happy Travels!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This appears to be a fairly new hotel...the lobby is very pleasant with a bar and market right in the middle. My room was very comfortable and very clean. It's located close to several restaurants and shopping. I'll definitely stay here next time I visit Newport News.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear 394JaneD,

Thank you for writing your response about my hotel! I'm really glad that you and your family had a delightful time in Newport News. I'm also thankful that you chose my hotel over all the others in the Hampton Roads area. We try very hard to maintain our fresh look being 5 years old. If you are ever in the area again, please stay with us again!

Take care and be safe in your travels,

Elizabeth Parker

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stay here often when we come to visit our daughter. The rates are great, rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. The décor is that of a much higher priced hotel. I give my highest praise for the bed (as comfortable as mine at home) and the shower (huge). We have stayed at several other hotels in the area, and this one stands out. They also have a nice bar/snack area downstairs. Nice breakfast sandwiches although they are next door to pancake places. It is across the street from a big shopping mall, and near everything.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Herb H,

You're headline says it all to me! "My Favorite Hotel in Newport News" WOW! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Please let me know when you plan to visit again. I would personally like to welcome you and your family.

Thank you for being my guest!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here while in town for Hampton University's Homecoming festivities. I've always loved Newport News, and this did not disappoint. Located off of Jefferson Hwy, this hotel is located practically next door to one of my favorite spots, Cracker Barrell! Check in was smooth as I prepaid on priceline. The lobby decor is beautiful with more than enough space should you want to lounge and watch TV, order from their little store/market, or partake in their breakfast. The room is spacious and reminiscent of Hyatt Place to me. My room was very clean and comfortable! I loved the glass door shower in the bathroom. The view from my room was of the courtyard which looked very pretty. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of it due to the rain. The only drawback to this hotel is that breakfast is not free. If you want, you can include it in your price on other search engines. Since it wasn't free, we went to Cracker Barrell next door. If I'm going to pay for breakfast, I might as well go to a great spot for it. Other than that, I recommend this hotel. I would come back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Good Day Ms. Javon W!

Thank you for those wonderful comments! As I read your response, I felt like I was reading a well told story. If I were reading your response, I would want to stay at this hotel for sure!

In reference to breakfast; you're not the only guest to bring to my attention about the complimentary breakfast offering. I certainly will take this into consideration.

Thank you again for your comments...we really do pay attention to what our guests have to say.

Take care and be safe in your travels,