“Nice Hotel, Great Staff”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Nice Hotel, Great Staff”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times over the last couple years. The hotel is modern with a nice lounge / bar / restaurant area, and is a very comfortable place to stay. The management, bar, and kitchen staffs were very welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Had drinks at the bar one night and breakfast at the hotel restaurant one morning, and was very satisfied with the service and the food / drinks. Will definitely stay here on my next trip to Newport News, and highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear JLSXXP,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about the hotel, staff and service!

I'm glad that we were able to uphold your expectations during your stay. Upon your next arrival, please let me know that you are here. I would love to meet you and thank you in person!

Elizabeth Parker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I give this hotel a Poor rating because the room was not keep up to any standard that deserves more than a poor grade. Upon my arrival I found hairs in the desk drawer and on the rest room floor. When I informed the front desk about the matter I was quickly informed that the housekeeping staff was off work and nothing could be done. Not the response that I was looking for or expected. What I was expecting was a clean place to stay--I didn't get it. The room also smelled of cheap air freshner and had a slight smoke odor. The breakfast that used to be free at other courtyards was $12 and was over priced and they had bad coffee. The staff did not seem to care about you there. I would avoid this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Nancy1381,

WOW! I am so sorry that you had a bad experience at my hotel. My team and I work very hard to maintain our 90+ average in guest service and cleanliness scores. We really did mess this one up!

Please accept my apologies for the problems that you incurred here at my hotel. I will certainly investigate this further.

But, I do want to thank you for your comments. We can only get better if we know about it. If you are ever back in the area again, please contact me personally. I would like to make your reservation myself.

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Orange Village, Ohio
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel was lackluster, but near the airport. Breakfast was available for about $12 and was barely adequate. Coffee was Starbucks bought at retail.

Hotel was clean, with a nice bathroom which had no bath but a large walk in shower. Staff was O.K.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ronald B.

Thank you for your comments concerning your hotel experience at the Courtyard. It saddens me to have read that we did not meet your expectations. I'll make sure to share your comments with my staff at our next staff meeting.

Please accept my apologies for your recent stay, we're going to make sure that we get it right!

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is the seventh time I have stayed at this hotel on business this year. In the past the hotel has been ok but never stood out from the rest in any way. I stayed here for two nights this time and felt the hotel was modern and nice looking from the outside. Once I got to the room I noticed the room was a little dirty and missing the towels. This was annoying because I did not notice they were missing until after my shower. Also the bed was not very comfortable and the couch was dirty. The coffee was not very good and they only gave me decaf. Also the ice machine was noisy in the hall way. The room also had a slight odor to it and seemed a little dusty. The front desk staff did not care when I complained so I would not recommend staying here. I will be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank John A
Dear John A,

Please accept my apologies for the condition of your guest room. Currently, we are in the process to "Deep Clean" each guest room. And it seems that you were placed in a guest room that we have not gotten to.

Please reach out to me when you return to the area. I would like to personally make your reservation and would like to take a few minutes to speak with you when you arrive. Your comments are very important to me and I want you to know that you have been heard.

Again, my apologies.

Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel Nov. 9 for a quick getaway. The outside of the hotel was very nice looking and modern. We booked a suite but there was nothing special about it, just a larger room and had some paint peeling from a wall. We noticed finger nail and toe nail clippings on the table and couch and the microwave was never cleaned. The bed was also lumpy so we did not get a good nights sleep. The next morning when I got in the shower the shower floor was extremely slippery causing me to fall. I also noticed the coffee maker in the room was broken and the filters for the AC were extremely dirty. I left the staff know about the problems when checking out and was told they would look into it and was quickly turned away from the desk. It seemed like they did not even care. I would probably not recommend staying at this hotel again as there are so many better ones in Newport News. I would however recommend a Marriot property just not this one.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kyle2007
Kyle2007,

Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant stay, here at my hotel. I am just so shocked of the findings of your guest room. Steps have been taken to correct the problem. Be rest assured, my Executive Housekeeper will be on this!

I hope that you will give us another try in the future and I want to thank you for your candor. We can only get better if we know what to address.

Again, thank you and my apologies.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights while at an event in Newport News. The rooms are VERY nice and VERY well laid out. Comfortable beds. The staff is friendly and is trying very hard to please. I get the impression that many of them are new, and that with some seasoning will be very good. Management seems to be competent and very much in charge. This is NOT a full service hotel, but the items available in the lobby are much more extensive than is usual in such hotels. There is coffee, wine, sandwiches, and desserts, all in abundance and variety. Compare that with the usual assortment of packaged snacks that are typically available in limited service hotels. The hotel prepared a large plated breakfast for our group; it wasn't clear that such service is available to individual guests. Unless you need a restaurant on property, this is a pretty good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Louis S
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Louis S:

It was a pleasure to host your event in early November.

Thank you for the wonderful comments that you have shared with me, my staff and those that look at TripAdvisor!

To answer your question concerning our plated breakfast, yes we do! Each guest has the opportunity to choose from our breakfast menu, once a choice is made you just order the entree from our hostess at the Bistro. She rings it up, give you a number and receipt, then a server brings the entree to your table. It's that simple.

We look forward to having you as our guest again and a BIG Thank you for protecting and fighting for Freedom in the US and for those abroad.

Bluffton, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very nice hotel. clean with a very friendly staff. Shower was great but leaked all over the floor. Maintenance was unable to fix it during our two day stay. Only food available was pre-made microwave food from a kiosk in the lobby. Tiny one cup coffee maker in the room made coffee that tasted like it was brewed through dirty socks. No Gratis coffee in the lobby here, only Starbucks premium price coffee was available. C'mon Marriot please let us choose to patronize starbucks not make us! Set up a standard coffee pot in the lobby!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank soboms
Dear Soboms,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me during your stay here at the Courtyard Marriott Newport News.

Please accept my apologies concerning your shower, I have addressed this with my Engineering team and I am sure that upon your next return you will not incur this again.

In regards to complimentary coffee in the lobby, Marriott International approved as a standard with all Courtyards, that we are not permitted to serve complimentary coffee in our lobby. Some Courtyards are in compliance with this standard and some are not. My hotel recognizes Marriott International standards; we are 100% compliant with Marriott standards.

In January 2014, it will be mandatory that all Courtyards by Marriott are not permitted to serve coffee in their lobby complimentary. We certainly appreciate your comments and realize that this is a change; but as we improve our service standards from all aspects we want to stay compliant with the standards.

However, I do want you to know that you have been heard.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to have you be our guest in the very near future.

Take care and be safe in your travels!